• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2400 running too hot...advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As5

I cleaned all the dust off the heatsink, used isopropyl alcohol to clean it and the processor die, and reapplied AS5 with a razor. Im getting like 37C idle now....seems to be quite the improvement.

We'll see what happens with the new psu....

Load temps

I hit a max of 52C running distributed.net client at 100% cpu usage for 15 minutes. What is the best app for testing load temps, and how long should I run it for?

Also, I am at 15x133 right now with the 2400. Is it better to increase the multiplier or the bus speed (i have PC2700 memory). What can I play with for now. Maybe 2.2 GHz? I have an MSI K7N2 Delta-L m/b.

Thanks!

eric1787 said:
What is the best app for testing load temps, and how long should I run it for?

Many use Prime95 and think you should run it for 24h. If the comp passes the test you can say your comp is rock stable.

eric1787 said:
Is it better to increase the multiplier or the bus speed.

It's better to increase the bus speed, it'll give you more memory bandwith.

For now try overclocking without increasing the voltage, go in little steps. If your CPU is a T-bred B, you should be able to get another 150-200Mhz without adjusting the voltage.

YviE

Eric,

You could try 12x166 (your motherboard is an nforce 2, so you should be able to change de multiplier). That would still give you the 2000Mhz stock speed, but you will see if your memory is happy at 166Mhz with your memory settings.

Then try increase the multiplier step by step (12.5x, then test, 13x, test, etc etc)

If all that goes well, you can try overclocking your memory. Just remember, always go in small increments.

YviE

Just wanna jump in and say that the Volcano 7+ does a fine job at cooling a 2400+(see sig for my overclock, with a Tt V7+:D), so I don't think upgrading the HSF is needed. my temps are 32c room, 35c case and cpu is 45c, 50c load with fan at medium setting.

Good luck at getting those case temps down;)

Nice overclock there!

What Vcore are you running?
What stepping is your CPU? I'm having trouble getting mine over 2300Mhz.

YviE

Oc

I ran Prime95 for 20 minutes....max load temp of 50C.

I guess reapplying the AS5 did the trick.

I upped the FSB to 147 without changing the voltage and the system wouldn't post. I had to reset BIOS defaults.

Hmmm.

So you set the CPU at 15 x 147 = 2205Mhz.

1. Your memory settings are too tight
2. Your CPU needs more voltage

Try 12 x 166 and relax your memory timings. That should work, since you aren't overclocking anything.

YviE

YviE said:
Nice overclock there!

What Vcore are you running?
What stepping is your CPU? I'm having trouble getting mine over 2300Mhz.

YviE

Before I got the Abit NF7s I could only get 2300mhz, tops. 2400mhz was a breeze once I hooked up the Abit. I can get in to windows at 2450ish and post at 2500mhz although I need 2.3volts to achieve that. I think with better cooling and a PSU upgrade, Erni 350watt, I could load windows at 2500mhz, my last speed attemp before I move to Athlon 64 :)

I am using 2 volts to get 2400mhz.

As for stepping, I don't know right now, but I can tell you that, I got this chip the month AMD superlocked their chips, mines superlocked, hence 15x160.

:)

Thanx for the reply PCluva. I can't believe you actually ran your CPU at 2.3 volts, that's huge!! But I guess that I still have some headroom left, since I'm only running at 1.75v right now. :)

It's a pity AMD superlocked the XP's. The reason I got an AMD XP CPU was because it is unlocked (or you can unlock it).

Eric: How's the overclocking going?

YviE

New PSU and case fan

The new PSU and 120mm 79 CFM case fan arrived. Combined with the Volcano 7+ on medium and AS5 I'm getting 32C idle CPU and 26C idle system. For hours of Prime95 load, the CPU maxed out under 50C. This is not overclocked. I have no intake fans. My next step will be to dremel out the intake and outtake fan holes for better airflow and quieter operation. For now, however, this is an impressive 10C drop with a new, more efficient PSU and case fan.

Please let me know any other suggestions to drop the temp and, more importantly, any ways I can o/c my 2400. The processor is 15x, 133 bus, 1.65v....I have an MSI K7N2-Delta L m/b. I tried upping the bus to 147 and voltage to 1.75, but the system does not post. My friend has a comparable ABIT m/b better for o/c and the same cpu, and he o/c to 2200 MHz with no problem.

Thanks!

-Eric

I wouldnt change the Bus Speed If I was you

eric1787 said:
I ran Prime95 for 20 minutes....max load temp of 50C.

I guess reapplying the AS5 did the trick.

I upped the FSB to 147 without changing the voltage and the system wouldn't post. I had to reset BIOS defaults.

Hmmm.

I wouldnt change the Bus Speed If I was you. I have the same MOBO and they are not known for FSB overclocks. I just increased the multiplyer to OC mine. However I never got more than a 3mhz FSB overclock :eek: !

Back