• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2600+ onlyruns at 1.67GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanx to all who responded and helped me through this problem. I feel like I have made progress toward resolving this issue, there is a few more steps though before I can go back to using my pc without any issues.

I have run memtest86 as suggested, after 5 hrs there appeared to be no Errors and I quit the program with two hours to go. I however wasn't sure how to get all the readings from memtest and went with the default disply settings and confuguration which stated that ECC was off so I'm not sure if the lack of any Errors on the ECC Error panel was due to this.

Overall I'm pretty sure I managed to rule out ram, I found out that my current PSU was 250 W, so I got a 350 W , as much as I wanted to go with the brand names suggested I had to follow what my budget allowed, and bought a no name PSU. If anyone here insists however that this will greatly effect performance I will see if I can return it and save towards something else.

Previously I mentioned my cpu temperature was around 44C but after 8 hours usage it was up at 49 C , is this too high?

My cpu fan speed is also idling a lot .

Last edited:
Well, It definately sounded like a PSU problem (especially since you only had a 250W), and buying a new bad PSU may or may not solve it. If it works now, we can all say "Yup, must have been his PSU." If, on the other hand, it doesn't help, it could still be a PSU problem, because you will not have adequately tested our hypothesis. No-name are often labeled with peak output, as opposed to what you can actually run your system on. A 250W sparkle may be as good as your 350W generic. Or better.

As for memtest86, it's a great program, but if you ran it at 133, and the problems start at 166, unless there is a serious problem, it won't find anything. I'd feel more comfortable with a full loop (some of the tests at the end take forever, but they should catch even the most obscure thngs.

Your CPU temp is fine, if it's the on-die temp.

I took my psu back and swapped it for a 512 kingston pc 3200 ram after I received a letter from amd technical support stating that the most common cause of instability problems are due to ram and and that they particualrly oppose using generic and OEM ram.

It turns out they were wrong. Because after I wasted my cash on new ram the shutdown problem still occured. At least I can now say its definetly not the ram but this knowledge came at a cost and I cant afford to keep buying hardware to elimate the issue.

oh well at least now that leaves PSU as the most suspicios component followed by the motherboard and cpu.

Just a quick question:

What kind of MOBO are you running? Some motherboards have jumpers that have to be adjusted to run different FSB settings...

Asus - A7V8X-X
2600 atlon xp
80 g Seagate HD
512 Kingston pc 3200 DDR

I replaced my 250 w psu with a 450 w today but my pc stll shutdown. so far I have bought new ram and new psu to resolve the problem but the only thing thats done is leave me broke, well at least I now know that either the mobo or cpu is responsible.

I've had a look at the mobo manul and it seems to be jumper free.
The shutdown occurs at randomn but more so during screen savers, or the during the selection process for windows installation.

I've got that same motherboard (with a 1700+) and you're right, there aren't any jumpers. Your problem sure is baffling to me. I'd say it has to be something with the processor itself. Is it too late to RMA?

Back