• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATX 2x2 with a 9700K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poorman65

Registered
My motherboard has both a 2x2 and a 4x4 ATX 12v for the CPU.

I know that technically I can use one or the other, but will I have issues with just the 2x2 with a 9700k?

Can't seem to find the 2x4 modular cable.

The 4 pin cpu power connector will provide 155W of power while the 8 pin provides 235W. You can get away with using the 4 pin if you plan on running stock and don't fully load the CPU (i.e. Stress test /benchmark). Under a heavy load you could lose stability. To power your 9700k fully you should use the full 8 pin.

The manual tells you the 4x2 is required. :)

The 2x2 optionaal (it is not a one or the other situation where the 2x2 is only used). You'll be fine with the 4x2 even with some overclocking...2x2 used for pushing the limits...

What board do you have?

Last edited:
Its a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro. THe manual just says "The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start."

I did manage to find the 2x4 cable and switched to that. Unfortunately, I am running into a problem where the system keeps starting to power up and then turns itself back off. It continues in a loop doing that until I flip the PSU power switch off.

I just tried it with both the 2x2 and 2x4 installed and it still fails the same.

I've tried re-seating the memory and swapping it around to different configurations.

The PSU is a 630 watt so should b3e more than enough power. I am going to try with a Corasir 600 I have from another system to rule out the PSU as the problem.

Could it be that my CPU heatsink isn't good enough? I didn't realize that the CPU didn't come with a Stock Heatsink, so I am using the Heatsink from a Sandy Lake build.

Is the heat sink from the Sandy Bridge an OEM Intel part or aftermarket? Tell us more.

And is this happening with a clean install of Windows?

Can you get to the BIOS on boot? If so, jump in there and check temps. That will tell you if the heatsink is mounted right. Even a stock Intel will allow it to boot on stock and get to windows... unless it isn't mounted right.

630W................ what brand and model. All PSUs are certainly not created equal.

Create a signature (like trents!) so we know EXACTLY what hardware you are working with.

Can you get to the BIOS on boot? If so, jump in there and check temps. That will tell you if the heatsink is mounted right. Even a stock Intel will allow it to boot on stock and get to windows... unless it isn't mounted right.

630W................ what brand and model. All PSUs are certainly not created equal.

Create a signature (like trents!) so we know EXACTLY what hardware you are working with.

I didn't necessarily understand him to mean he adapted the 2x2 PSU power lead to 2x8 but that he just located the 2x8 built into the PSU. But if he did use an adapter, that could definitely be the issue. In that scenario I would question the wattage on the 12v+ rail.

OP, please give us a more complete list of your system components including video card, RAM, CPU cooler, PSU (make and model).

I think the Heatsink was just the Stock one. I'll order a good one today. Not sure what to get for minor overclocking. I saw mention of a "Noctua NH-D15". Is that overkill if I am not planning to really push it onoverclocking? Not a big fan of the huge ones but will do it if ya'll think I should.

The PSU I was using was a RaidMax 630. It was somewhat old, so maybe it just wasn't up to the job.

I put in the Corsair 600 and I am able to get the system up and running now.

I need to replace a noisy case fan and pick a CPU cooler. ...and of course install the Video board. Open to suggestions on the cooler. I am not planning to overclock to any extreme amount. Just want to get what I can without major risk and to be able to do video editing without any lagging.

RaidMax 630
Sweet googlymoogly... Raidmax is traaaaaaaash. It's better used to start fires than power a pc...

Glad to see the psu fixed it. Never cheap out on a psu...look at our guide in the psu section ...

As far as cooling goes, a lot of us would steer you in the direction of an AIO water cooling system but that case of your is old school and I'm skeptical that it's design would be friendly toward a 240 AIO water system. I see no mention of it being compatible with water cooling systems in the manufacturer's write up or in the NewEgg reviews.

As far as good air coolers go, I would usually recommend the Noctua NH D15 but one reviewer on NewEgg said that cooler would not fit. And if that one won't fit then it's likely many of the larger air coolers won't. So I don't know what to tell you. I would look at getting a more up to date case that will accommodate a 360 AIO water system. If you are going to oveclock that 9700k you will want top notch aftermarket cooling. Those run hot when overclocked.

It's an old case...they didnt have that info in specs when it was released 1p+ years ago...but water cooling was around then. Just look at what fans it can take. I recall 2 140mm in front or top... I know it had an odd 200mm somewhere.

That said, I wouldnt reccomend an aio for his uses... doesnt seem to be a needed? Even a hyper 212 eco (assuming it fits - specs should say that...) will suit a 9700k. He can likely even overclock on it a bit too. Remember, it doesnt have HT and runs cooler than a 9900k. ;)

I'll look into a new case then. Was trying to keep my costs down by re-using whatever I could.

Could you recommend a case and cooler that I could pick up that wouldn't be too pricey, but would allow me to overclock?

If I could get it from Amazon Prime, that would be even better. Trying to get this thing set to take on a road trip to visit family.

I just did mention an in expensive cooler that would likely fit. The specs say how tall of a cooler will fit it.

I just did mention an in expensive cooler that would likely fit. The specs say how tall of a cooler will fit it.

Thanks EarthDog! Hadn't refreshed so I didn't see your post before I typed my message.

It's an old case...they didnt have that info in specs when it was released 1p+ years ago...but water cooling was around then. Just look at what fans it can take. I recall 2 140mm in front or top... I know it had an odd 200mm somewhere.

That said, I wouldnt reccomend an aio for his uses... doesnt seem to be a needed? Even a hyper 212 eco (assuming it fits - specs should say that...) will suit a 9700k. He can likely even overclock on it a bit too. Remember, it doesnt have HT and runs cooler than a 9900k. ;)

Just because there's a fan spot for a 120 mm fan or two doesn't mean there is enough clearance to the periphery of the fan hole to allow a radiator to fit. Radiators tend to extend beyond the fan frame on the two ends of the radiator. I have some cases where a bare fan will fit but not a radiator that takes that same fan size.

Just because there's a fan spot for a 120 mm fan or two doesn't mean there is enough clearance to the periphery of the fan hole to allow a radiator to fit. Radiators tend to extend beyond the fan frame on the two ends of the radiator. I have some cases where a bare fan will fit but not a radiator that takes that same fan size.
I absolutely agree. I said that without a back story...Back in the day, I did own that case and dont recall if it was it or the next case where I first used water. If that was the case, I had a 2x120 Thermochill 120.2 rad up front with the hdd cage removed....

....dont bet a lot of money on that though. :p

Let me google, lol.

Edit: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/556279-Liquid-cooling-for-antec-900-case!

Maybe it was the antec 1200 I'm thinking of.......

Yeah, buy a new case, lol. What's your budget, OP?

I haven't really set a specific budget, but I need to keep this pretty economical. I am out of work right now and was trying to use my system to make some money with a Patreon game that I had been working on last year. With the updates to the software I am using, my system had gotten to the point where it couldn't even complete some of the Renders I needed to do. I ran into problems even trying to add memory to my motherboard and decided that a new build would make my work a lot more efficient.

I was able to get to this point by using existing equipment as much as possible. My current cost so far is just under $900.

I would be able to keep all my other PCs in use if I do go with a new case and a 240 or 360 Cooler, so that is not a bad idea. The better the system performs, the more efficient my work will be when editing. I think that Rendering performance is primarily just determined by the GPU that I have, which is a respectable NVidea GeForce 1070 TI. The editing itself is pretty memory and CPU intensive.

I want a low or no maintenance option if I go with a water cooling system. Once I get a system setup I usually don't mess with it again (other than blowing out the dust) until it is time for an upgrade.

So, if I can get a good boost in performance for my work by buying a new case and cooler, then I am ok with that. Also wouldn't mind going with a smaller case instead of a Full Tower, since there is no longer a need for a bunch of add-on cards these days. I've also moved my PCs to my desktop instead of being under the desk to avoid the dust a little better. Just needs to fit my mother board of course.

I just need to keep the costs down.

Back