• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling for antec 900 case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekie95

Hey guys,
I would just like to know what the best liquid cooling system would be for my antec 900 case. I am get pretty high core temps now with my air cooling setup. Here is my system specs and a picture of my high temps for you. Please help!
1.) Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650
2.) ASUS MAXIMUS EXTREME LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
3.) Patriot Viper 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS34G1333LLK
4.) COOLMAX CUQ-1350B ATX 12V V2.2 / EPS 12V V2.91 1350W Power Supply
5.) ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
6.) Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

thanks
Adam

Attachments

• temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,965
What are your load temps? How fast are you wanting to go? An upgrade to a better air cooler would do wonders. How is your cable management? I know that case can get cramped and things can get out of hand in a hurry. If you are going for relatively resonable speeds(~3.56) a new heatsink, clean air flow, and mayby some new case fans should get you there. However if you are shooting for >3.6 then you should be looking at water.

But water in a 900 is possible but not a fun project. I did it but it was not pretty nor easy. It takes a bit of creative routing but can be done. I put the pump in the bottom of the case under the HD's, mounted the res on the HD supported brackets and the rad out back on a rack. It wasn't very elegant but it did work. To be fair I have seen others doa much better job.

If you can you would be better off with a bigger case that offered a little more room to work with. I have no room to talk but going with an air cooling case to water cool doesn't make much sense. For a cheap solution see if you can try and pick a clearance rocket fish case from BB. Those things look like they have a ton of room to work with.

first and foremost, :welcome: to the forums.
there are a couple of threads where some of us put a wc system in a 900 case. here are some links, maybe you will get a good idea of what we did:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=553280
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=551929
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=553103

i had fun, but it was a PIA. cable mgmt is the first thing you wanna do. dremel will become your best friend as you will wanna cut into your case. another good option would be to follow ou_phidelt suggestion and get a better air cooler. there are a few out there and it seems that alot of people have fallen in love with the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, TRUE U-120e is always a fav around here and i loved my Zerotherm Nirvana when i was using it. price/performance i would recommend either the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 or the Zerotherm Nirvana. If you are determined to go water, then hang out in the watercooling section and read the stickies. there is alot of great info in there. i noticed a huge difference in load temps and the project itself was well worth it.

Thanks for the replies. I would like to overclock to 4 GHZ if I can? Would water cooling be better? Or should I just stay with air cooling? If I stay with air cooling which cooler is the best for antec 900 case? I download a new program called real temp. My core results are a lot better then temp core was. Don't know how accurate real temp is? Anyone knows?
thanks
Adam

Forgot to post the pic of my new core temps. With Real Temp.
thanks

Attachments

• rtemp.jpg
    rtemp.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,720
use coretemp. real temp you have to configure it and im way too lazy for that. i would recommend going with water to hit 4ghz, but im not familiar with how that quad will oc and what kind of heat you can expect. i was able to get my q6600 stable at 3.6ghz on air for 24/7 in the case. so i would assume its doable. just make sure you have a good heatsink. the ones i mentioned above i have seen great results and experienced it with my nirvana, but my temps went down considerable with water and i can sleep at night without thinking someone was landing a 747 in my bedroom.

Depending on your ambient tempts and tolerance for fan noise you may be able to do it on air with a TRUE but water would produce a much more peaceful computing environment.

Back