• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto Setting in BIOS Issue!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

davarei

Registered
I've seen this issue WAY BACK and dont' recal the board or the cause.
So please excuse if I missed it again in my search.

I picked up an ASUS M4A89GTD board and a Phenom II 555 BE.
+ rest of parts from old PC = G.Skill 2 X 8 gig RAM / 1100 Watt PSU / 4X RAID 0 baracuda's ...

I ran all my standard initial tests and all runs great. Unlocked the core (only 3 work...) but I only paid for 2.

Still stress test GREAT.

Went to OC ... 1st by upping the FSB to 225 ** and setting the multi to 16 (vs. auto).

Booted fine and CPUZ recognized as 3.6 G's ~ but when I started a program, the multiplier would drop to 4 (leaving me with a .9 G).

Went back into the BIOS and checked everything. Locked the CPU back to a dual core.

Booted and same issue? I know it's a BIOS auto option that I need to change, but I'm not sure which one?

NOTE: I can leave everything on auto (leaving the bus at 200) and up the multiplier to 20 getting a total OC of 4 G's with air cooling and no issues / 24 hours of solid stress testing and temps not breaking 43.

But as soon as I touch the FWB (change from auto to anything over 200 ...) I get that same on the fly drop in the multiplier down to X4

Anyone know which auto setting is the issue?
.... I'd change 'em all, but there's a ton (most are new to me and I've done this for a while now).

Do you have C1E and Cool'n'Quiet disabled? Those lower the multi when the system is idle and may be causing an issue when overclocked.

Cool'n'quiet is disabled ...
But I don't know on the C1E.
.... remember seeing it, but didn't change from default.

Thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance.

Depending on which version of Windows you're running that could also be doing it. Win7 will jump right in there and down-clock your CPU for you. :eek: Nice feature if you're running stock but really gets in the way if you're OC'ing. You might double-check that Windows is set to "Performance" not "Power Saving" mode ...

The C1E was the issue.
Disabled and was able to easily hit 250 FSB with a multi of 16.5 ~ 4.1 G's
Air cooled triple core @ 40 Dec C (ambient + 19C) at load

THANKS!

Back