• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Motherboard or bad RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7AIR28

Registered
Some of you may have been following my various hiccups with my new PC build just recently finished. Now it has come to this:

Are my motherboard's DIMM slots bad or is my RAM bad? After a bad video driver install and a screwed up video card, my PC no longer POST's or boots. (so do not sugest memtest86 or windows mem. diagnostic tool)
I tested out the PSU with a multimeter and all voltages checked out ok so thats not the problem. I have performed every task known to clear the CMOS but thats not the problem. So now I am suspecting that either my motherboard has already had it and it is not detecting memory in the slots or my RAM is defective.

Is there any way to tell which it is? I suspect I can pick up a new stick of memory, pop it in, and if it boots than it is the original memory, correct? However if it doesnt boot and detect the new RAM than it is the motherboard. Is there any quicker more cost-effective/wallet-friendly solution to check if it is my motherboard or RAM?

NOTE: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO Motherboard w/ G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 1600 CL8 (compatible according to QVL and first three hours of use...)

System functioned perfectly until video card installation and restart following driver installation. Now it will not POST or get to BIOS, almost like the memory in the slots does not exist.

If you boot with no ram installed does it beep? Can you try that ram in another pc to see if it works or is able to pass memtest?

Also, have you tried only one stick of RAM with the speed turned down to, say, 1066 (533 MHz)?

Are your RAM speed and timings set manually in BIOS or have you been letting Otto run things ...?

Also, have you tried only one stick of RAM with the speed turned down to, say, 1066 (533 MHz)?

Are your RAM speed and timings set manually in BIOS or have you been letting Otto run things ...?

notice my post, "system will not POST or get to BIOS" so i can not turn down the speed or freq.

try it in all 4 slots with 1 stick. if that does not work then try it with the other stick. you can not find a speaker at all to put on there? it would help you a lot

Back