• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton 2500 63C under load ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have no case fans right now.

This is clearly your problem. Don't worry about the hsf. The problem is that the air that is coming in contact with the hsf is too hot to effectively cool it. Athlons are not made to run in cases without fans. Fans are basically required for their use.

Case fans are quite cheap really, you can get them for like $4-5 shipped on Newegg. If you don't install case fans, your only alternative is really going to be leaving the case open.

Don't forget temps are going up this time of year, so you're likely going to heat up more and more as the weather heats up, and have increasing instability.

Thanks, you are right. I put one of my case fans from an old system into the box an whola it is running at 48C under load with the case closed. Case temp has dropped 10C which has made a huge difference. Thanks for the help. I should have put a fan in to begin with but I am always trying to keep my room quiet. Pehaps I will just place my entire case into my bar fridge, that should keep it cool and quiet! So much for beer though...

Nice drop! Glad to hear it worked.

I made the same mistake as you did. I ran without a case fan for a year and experienced constant crashing and instability, I didn't think it mattered.

Fans are just not optional anymore.

Back