• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not trying to burst your bubble but vendors aren't exactly friendly about doing an RMA with a CPU that has bent pins so don't be suprised if it's refused.

As said, those pins aren't bent badly at all and I've fixed pins like that many times before to the point it's almost routine. If it's refused, just use something like the tools suggested - I normally use a miniature flathead screwdriver.
I use it to both separate and realign the pins. I'll also add even after these have been fixed sometimes the CPU won't just fall into the socket, it's not uncommon for it to have a little resistance but never try to insert it by force. What I normally do when that happens is to note which part of the CPU is resisting - Usually the CPU by the way it rocks/trys to remain out of the socket will tell you the area where the bent pin is. If for some reason after examining the pins I can't find it, I'll then reinsert the CPU and apply just enough force and no more to make the offending pin(s) show when it starts to bend but always careful to stop right at the point when it starts bending.
Then of course I'll fix it too.

Might take more than one attempt at fixing them to make it work but it can be done.

If you use AMD's enough, you'll run into a bent pin sooner or later anyway.
Good luck!

Ya, like that 8320 I bought didn't even make it into the board and OOPS. Someone had slippery fingers. You get better at straightening those things when you've had lots and lots of practice like your truly.
I've also heard as the good doctor pointed out. Bent pins are usually blamed on the user.

Intel did the right thing. They eliminated bent pins on their cpu's. Now the onus is on the motherboard manufacturers. The sockets are easily damaged as I have found out through carelessness.

- - - Updated - - -

Not trying to burst your bubble but vendors aren't exactly friendly about doing an RMA with a CPU that has bent pins so don't be suprised if it's refused.

As said, those pins aren't bent badly at all and I've fixed pins like that many times before to the point it's almost routine. If it's refused, just use something like the tools suggested - I normally use a miniature flathead screwdriver.
I use it to both separate and realign the pins. I'll also add even after these have been fixed sometimes the CPU won't just fall into the socket, it's not uncommon for it to have a little resistance but never try to insert it by force. What I normally do when that happens is to note which part of the CPU is resisting - Usually the CPU by the way it rocks/trys to remain out of the socket will tell you the area where the bent pin is. If for some reason after examining the pins I can't find it, I'll then reinsert the CPU and apply just enough force and no more to make the offending pin(s) show when it starts to bend but always careful to stop right at the point when it starts bending.
Then of course I'll fix it too.

Might take more than one attempt at fixing them to make it work but it can be done.

If you use AMD's enough, you'll run into a bent pin sooner or later anyway.
Good luck!

I really don't see how a cpu with those bent pins got out the door?

CPU's with bent pins aren't always brandnew (Butterfingers!).
I have dropped a cpu or two in my time and had to fix them.

ADDITIONAL:
Yesterday I was passing by a computer store and popped in to see if they had any old PC components I could get and they had some older CPUs. I picked out two, a 4000+ San Diego and a 5000+ X2 Brisbane and both had bent pins from being stored in the box they had them in.

I took the SD chip and checked it over and saw it had an entire row bent inwards with a few on the opposite side bent as well. I took a credit card and my mini flathead and got to work. After about 15min, I had the pins looking OK so tried to set it in the socket and while it did have some resistance, it did go in. Fired up the system and she went to working. Testing the chip showed it to be a pretty good bencher, capable of topping 3.2 no prob and it even topped 3.3 before locking up. I do have at least one SD that's better but the point is you can fix pins and be OK, useful for when you find chip with bent pins and can probrably pick them up cheap because of it. I've yet to work on the 5000+ but it's pins aren't too bad off, only real concern ATM is if the chip works at all.

Last edited:
Well most of us have...

...most have that clock shett and dink around with puters day in and day out; have done strange shett with puters and parts. To us unbending 'em pins is zippo but might be otherwise to others. Iffen he got time to send off and get back and they don't give him the finger...well maybe all is okay. Who knows? Me don't.

All I know is I did not use 'old' paste on this FX-8350 this time since I cannot twist it loose with those studs up thru the mount. Hopefully I can be patient enough to use hair dryer if it is stuck this time. Or whenever that is since I think this time this 4 core has found its' home. Hehehe.
RGone...ster. Recovering from way too much turkey still.

Back