• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best $2,000 gaming build to be used with 34" UltraWide Curved Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You aren't overclocked, so touching vtage isn't helpful as I just alluded to.

The second suggestion is to try a different driver. Does this happen on one game? Many? All?

i was just doing regular stuff when it happened. no gaming. different driver didn't help

See if adding max voltagvia MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision stabilizes it from those errors. I recently did an RMA with Galax on a 980 I got from ED here that stabilized in games when I maxed the gpu v. bar, but spewed those recovery errors when I set it back stock. My researchh though pointed to a problem with the gpu or vmem being a widespread issue with a lot of 980's. Some were fixed by using Maxwell Tweaker II and forcing boost voltage, and others, not so much.

Be sure you've exhausted all resources before RMA though, as in trying beta or older drivers, undervolting the card, overvolting, etc.

Oh, and just want to say, GALAX RMA service was by one of the absolute BEST experiences I've had with a vid card company.

using EVGA Precision x. will observe..

Also, what temperatures are considered normal for the GPU while gaming? while idling? when is it too high ? so i can make an accurate fan curve in evga precision x

Ram stability can actually cause this problem. (Found that the hard way). Run memtest just to be safe.

Not wild about adding voltage to a stock card to get it stable. That's like buying a brand new car and having a rough idle. I'd return it immediately if it was my 650$ graphics card doing thst stuff(after diagnosing of course).

Ram stability can actually cause this problem. (Found that the hard way). Run memtest just to be safe.

Not wild about adding voltage to a stock card to get it stable. That's like buying a brand new car and having a rough idle. I'd return it immediately if it was my 650$ graphics card doing thst stuff(after diagnosing of course).

i tried installing different driver for the third time. so far it hasn't done it anymore. will run memtest to see if everything is fine. yeah I don't want to have to tweak it to work. it should just work out of the box period.

So far so good... I have only heard one person, bob LOL, that memory caused those issues so I have to admit I wasn't holding my breath for this to be it. :(

well it hasn't done it since yesterday after reinstalling the driver. maybe that fixed it. hopefully it stays like this ! also..i installed audio drivers for the mobo but i seem to have no sound :|. and there's some weird static in the speakers. low fast clicks. noticeable a lot when scrolling, etc.

Last edited:
When you installed the video card drivers, did you install just the driver and the physX portion or dd you install everything (which includes an audio driver for the card)? I would uninstall the audio for the card (check in add/reomve programs) and/or make sure the right audio source is selected in windows.

i installed this: 353.06-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql [NVIDIA ForceWare 353.06 Vista/7/8 64-bit] - i believe it's just the driver. uninstalled and reinstalled the realtek drivers yesterday, issue still present. audio source is selected in windows

also, the nvidia kernel error just showed up again

That which you installed gives you a choice to install everything or to select only the drive/physX. Since you didn't see that part, I am betting you installed everything.

I would also like a screenshot of your selected audio device in windows please...Im not hedging my bets on the right one being selected. :)

The drivers .rar file from asus contained several items. i was only installing partially..*facepalm* i guess that's what happens when i rush things lol.
anyway, after being on the phone with EVGA about that Kernel error, and after performing 2 clean installs of the driver, they told me to try a different PCI slot on the mobo..however i really don't feel like taking everything apart. would this be a viable solution...? if so, i'll give it a try. but i don't wanna waste my time

but shouldn't the gpu be installed on the pcie slot closest to the cpu ?

Sure, but I am guessing this is a test to see if the PCIe slot is bad. Performance differences are usually not much if there are differences in the lane bandwidth (16x vs 8x).

Back