• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best $2,000 gaming build to be used with 34" UltraWide Curved Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it is this board "ASRock X99 Extreme3" and a 5820K (which is the last build I recall in this 100 page thread), it splits to 16x/8x. The 5820K only has 28 PCIe lanes in the first place. That board does not have a PLX chip. Specs also show its 16x/8x...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-x99-extreme3-lga2011v3-atx-motherboard,4115.html

I take it we are not talking that board or chip?

EDIT: X99 deluxe is now the last I see... it should still be 16x in that slot. You can easily confirm by loading up GPUz and hitting the little question mark next to the lane speed (middle right) and running the stress test. That value, likely 1.1 on idle, will shoot up to 3.0 16x... :)

Last edited:
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S and 4790k
Jebus.. you were ALL OVER the map with your build, LOL!

4790K only has 16x lanes to divide up. But that said, so long as only one slot is used, it will be 16x in the top two slots on that board (not all are the same!). ;)

I see. well so far i'm waiting for that error message to pop up. if it doesn't pop up, it means there's issues with mobo i'm assuming? and that's gonna be really annoying

Possibly a bad slot...

You may want to try to update your bios to latest if it isn't there are already.

it isn't updated. i wanted to but was unsure what to download/install from asus

Its dead easy on these things. Literally, you put the file on a usb drive, turn off the computer, plug the usb in, and then hold the bios button down. Took literally 2 minutes including time to download the files and move them around and stuff.

is it bad that my gpu idles at 65 celsius ? [stock, without custom fan curves from any softwr]

I'm sorry, remind me what GPU you have again?

You may want to create a signature so we can all see your system...

I7 4790K, GTX 980TI, phanteks ph-tc14pe cpu cooler, EVGA 850 G2 PSU

Now put that into your signature too so everyone can see it...

Which brand GTX 980Ti? What I am getting at is some brands shut off the fans until around 60C... so it may be normal on idle.

Not sure if the EVGA has a 'no fan' type thing. Are the fans spinning at that temperature? Is that normal with your card? Check out some reviews on it and see if it is. ;)

Back