• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AM3 Overclocking motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClintonL

Anyone know any boards which overclock better then others. Just looking around at the moment speccing out atm for a motherboard where overclocking is the only priority . Will need to OC a 1055T and i'm aiming for pretty high + a pretty high NB clock.
Don't need crossfire or anything like that. Don't need raid.
I've seen alot of 890GPA-UD3H's do well but i'm concerned as it only has 4+1 phase power and not 8+2 phase.
Budget is $200AU.

:welcome: to OCF

Check out the Asus 870 and 880 mobos. I have one of each and they both support 140W CPUs. I thought the VRegs would heat up with a 1090 in it but it's just warm. I too was not interested in raid or xfire so these boards were a good fit. MSI and Biostar have been great also with excellent support for the Regors and Thubans. I went with Asus after fighting with ECS and Gigabyte on less than stellar boards. Ive had Asus boards since the 90s and they all worked great with good OC.

:welcome: to OCF!

Anyone know any boards which overclock better then others. Just looking around at the moment speccing out atm for a motherboard where overclocking is the only priority . Will need to OC a 1055T and i'm aiming for pretty high + a pretty high NB clock.
Don't need crossfire or anything like that. Don't need raid.
I've seen alot of 890GPA-UD3H's do well but i'm concerned as it only has 4+1 phase power and not 8+2 phase.
Budget is $200AU.
Are you going for extreme cooling? Benchmarking? Gaming rig? Everyday rig?

At the high end the Crosshair IV Formula has not disappointed anyone but they're expensive. A little below that is the M4A89TD and M4A89GTD, which seem to be OC'ing well. Gigabyte's 890FX0UD5 is also in there, though I'm not sure of it's clock potential. The Biostar 890FXE has turned high clocks. All those are 890FX boards (except the M4A89GTD) so none are cheap, really, except the Biostar and it's getting hard to find. There are other boards further down, as AlabamaCajun has listed. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Being in AU you might link a few sites you would buy from. Prices in the States are much different than Down Under ... ;)

the biostar sounds and looks great just they're not available in australia and the asus crosshairs are out of my budget. Rig is for heavy gaming and a bit of benching not too srs but just a bit on the side.

:thup:

the biostar sounds and looks great just they're not available in australia and the asus crosshairs are out of my budget. Rig is for heavy gaming and a bit of benching not too srs but just a bit on the side.
We could list a million boards and most of them may be too expensive or NA down there. Best to link a parts site or three that you'd buy from so we can see what you're looking at ...

atm im thinking
ASUS M4A89TD PRO
ASRock 890FX Deluxe
ASRock 890GX Extreme4
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

Overclocking is the only thing im worried about though so i dont care if 890fx has raid/crossfire or whatever as i dont need it. So what among those bearing overclocking is the only thing im worryin about would be the best?

atm im thinking
ASUS M4A89TD PRO
ASRock 890FX Deluxe
ASRock 890GX Extreme4
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

Overclocking is the only thing im worried about though so i dont care if 890fx has raid/crossfire or whatever as i dont need it. So what among those bearing overclocking is the only thing im worryin about would be the best?

Get an Asus board. They make the best quality gear.

atm im thinking
ASUS M4A89TD PRO
ASRock 890FX Deluxe
ASRock 890GX Extreme4
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5

Here's the thing. Generally, the higher the chipset the better the parts that are on the board. I understand you don't need all the 890FX features but the boards that use it are usually of better quality and higher OC'ers than their lower-rated brothers. If you want to save a little the ASUS M4A89GTD is on that site for $169AU and it's a good board.

If for some reason you don't want an ASUS board the last one on the list, the 890FXA-UD5, would be my next choice.

Merry Christmas!!!

Both my gigabytes get massaged regularly. The 890gpa is the easier to oc in bios because it forgives, tries to boot under most circumstances. The 890fx may be more stable at higher clocks? They are both good. The fx for crossfire because 2x16 pcie, the gpa if not. The fx has wider memory lanes also. Either one can push cpu's to the limit. Voltages can be maxed and still stay cool.
Here's both mb's.:santa:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1536745
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1524511

I vote Gigabyte. Great boards for sure. Extremely stable voltage control, they unlock processors, they are competitively priced and they look damn good. ;)

I've said it before. If I went AMD I'd get a Crosshair IV.

asus_crosshair_iv_formula_intro2.jpg

Great performer, great features, great looks.

I think he meant the PCIe lanes. 16/16 as opposed to 16/8 of 8/8.

I've said it before. If I went AMD I'd get a Crosshair IV.

asus_crosshair_iv_formula_intro2.jpg

Great performer, great features, great looks.

I'll be honest with you. The Asus Amd boards are all a bit "meh" for me. Voltage regulation issues (bios may have fixed these), poor QC (with the over heating issue) and the fact that the board costs more $$$ for the same features as other boards.

I'll let it be though... We've all had this conversation before. :bang head

Back