• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best amd cpu for 754 atx socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK. I have an old 2006 issue of Maximum PC on my desk. It was slow yesterday so I was thumbing through it. I saw your case. repeatedly. It was a popular case for quiet a while. It's an Ultra brand and they made many with similar design features. Yours is missing the top door and the bottom panel cover but It's unmistakably an Ultra. Google "ultra alumina" to see the look of what it is supposed to be.

Takes me less than a day to forget stuff. LOL

Aand that gave me a lot of the old Chieftec(?) monsters. :rofl: I know what you mean, though. I see them for sale for $10-$20 in repair shops out here. Mine came as part of a cheap bare bones from the old Tiger Direct.

best cpu for a DFI lanparty is the opteron 165 duel core.. Those were the go too cpus for that board. People went for opterons because they overclocked better.. I believe the desktop version were multiplyer locked and the opterons were unlocked.. I think i cant remember but i think that was the reason.. I know the opterons were better overclockers though

In fact i pulled out ny old hardware in storage and pulled out my DDR1 g.skill sticks and my old Opteron and DFI lanparty board.

Forgot i had that stuff.. Also still have my geforce 6800gt and 8800gts and antec trio power 650w psu.

Also found ny athlon 64 3000+

Last edited:
I read what he said but what i forgot there was 754 and 939.. Its only been almost 15 years now cant expect to remember all of it

Last edited by a moderator:
I read what he said but what i forgot there was 754 and 939.. Its only been almost 15 years now cant expect to remember all of it

Go take your smartass comments elsewhere. No one likes a smartass. You could have corrected me and ended it there but you opted to mention reading skills.

Mm think ima figure out if the ignore feature is still on this forum.. I dont like you at all youre a scumbag

Easy Candyman. I'm sure Scotty was joking but name calling will not be tolerated. Consider this a warning. Lets all take a breather here.

LOL, I understand. He has, dare I say, a savage sense of humor that's similar to my own. Maybe that's why I see it.

Regardless, trust me when I say if you're looking for help or advice, having Mr. Scott on your side is a resource that you don't want to lose.

At any rate let's just get back on topic shall we?

:grouphug:

I haven't made much progress on this pc lately, still trying to remodel my office, would have hoped to have been done already..

Anyway me and the kid did clean up some more of the mess that it was, with a vacuum etc.

Ive found a couple possible cpu candidates, but i would still like to know if there is any trouble shooting i can do on this board WITHOUT a cpu, or do i need to just bite the bullet and get something to stick in there and see if it will post??

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't that say DFI?? DDr is still used alot, or am i missing part of the joke??

Still loved the Obi wan reference though..

Newark. There's a name that makes me shudder. One of my white unicorns. I had a 4000+. And out of 5 motherboards none had a bios that would run it right. They'd run the 3700+ Mobile, but not the 4000+.

I'm not saying this to discourage - quite the opposite - I want to see one actually work on a board, because the one I had seemed like it would have been "the one" to actually run 3Ghz... It would run 2.5Ghz at 1.0v (cause that's the max the stupid board would give it) PLUS of the 3 board/bios I that did boot it, would MAX the multupliers something dumb like 5+Ghz to init and fail stupidly booting it.

Does anyone know if the Newark 4000+ actually works right on this board? Can someone MAKE a bios work with this board? Because this needs to happen.

Correction... YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN cause I never could. Do it for me man! 754 pride LOL

It would run 2.5Ghz at 1.0v (cause that's the max the stupid board would give it)

That's where BIOS and/or Volt Mods come into play. :)

(EDIT: I don't know this socket but Pins mods were a thing at one time too but probably prior to 754. Am I right?)

That's where BIOS and/or Volt Mods come into play. :)

(EDIT: I don't know this socket but Pins mods were a thing at one time too but probably prior to 754. Am I right?)

I know, right? The problem I had was the BIOS would, in the two boards I could get to "reliably" boot it (an EPoX 8NPA, BioStar T-Force 630 ??? memory hazy) it wasn't that the board couldn't supply the volts (you could push 2v with "non-mobile" proc) it was the BIOS would initialize bizarro settings if you had a POST fail.

So I always had to have a "normal" non-mobile proc just to get the damn board to "recover", then swap in the mobile next boot. So yea you see the problem with a 1v+ voltmod lol. That first boot is gonna be some OLD SCHOOL volt lovins.

Who needs split voltage? 3volts to the proc is where it's at =D

EDIT ADD: I don't wanna thread hijack. I just love this old socket (it was very cheap and ton's 'o fun back in the day) and if someone can roll up or there is a verified non-funkytown "Lan Party UT NF3 250GB" bios out there that runs the 4000+ Newark, he literally would have the socket 754 beast box.

Random last bit remembering... people wondering why the 4000+ - had the 1MB cache, super high-binned chip. The 3700+ mobile I can't remember, still nice but the binning on the 4000+ was crazy good. But I also paid like $320 "oem" for the stupid thing too lol. Hey, I never said I was smart lol.

last bit. I gave the proc to a buddy who was going to do something with it. He never did. Lost it. =(

Last edited:
Mine. ;)

Attachments

• cb2003.jpeg
    cb2003.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 122
  • dfi250gb.jpeg
    dfi250gb.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 121
nice! i love the koolance cpu block!

You have a good eye. ;)
I'll elaborate a little about the old school block. I use that block on my chiller because it has a very coarse pin pattern in the block. It's less likely to trap little slush particles when I'm real cold than the tightly packed finned blocks.
Not much chance of icing/plugging up.
Also, the size and mounting is easily adaptable to almost any platform, with a little ingenuity.

For use as just a waterblock?, it's archaic. lol

Socket 754 is so much fun. It's nice to see a thread with old school hardware.

Here's mine! That's right! 130nm at 90nm speeds! :p

2606835.png
876046.jpg

Back