• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Case Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

l33t

Registered
I have been looking around for some new case fans for some time now and I am still wondering which ones to get. Does anyone have any fans that they use or recommend. I would like a somewhat quiet fan that puches a decent amount of air. THe fans I have been looking at are made by Aeroflow, are those any good?

Deltas are great, and not TOO noisy. You didn't tell us what size, or whether or not you can use different sizes (mod an 80mm hole for 90/92mm or 120/150mm fans).

there is a certain give and take with fans, that being high cfm to noise
if you want quite it usually means you arent going to get good air flow, and just the opposite for louder fans....more noise
of course there is the size factor too, the bigger the fan is the less rpm's it has to spin at to create good airflow.

so what size fan are you looking at and are they for your case?
also cooling your comp/cpu depends on your ambient temp (room temp), @ what temp is your room?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS:D

Thermaltake Smartfan II's are great too. Thats what i use. They come with their own fan controller so you can control the speed/cfm/noise to suit your needs/preferences.
You at least want to get some case fans that can put out some decent cfm and attach them to a fan controller imo.

I new I forgot something, they are all 80mm fan openings. Does anyone know if the fans with built in cold cathodes are any good, meaning do they put out alot of light? I would either want a led or cold cathode fan, but if I have to sacafice looks for preformace I guess I could take a look at Delta's, I heard they were pretty good.

The cathlode/led fans all push about 30-35cfm, they are usually pretty bright but are loud in comparison to their flow, and aren't good for much other than look "cool".

The TT SmartFan is an awesome fan, you can set it to self adjust with temps, fullspeed, and manual adjust. If you're looking for max. preformance, then go with Tornados or Deltas, decent CFM and low(er) noise, then go with the Delta Stealths.

I think Panaflows h1's are good. Use a volt mod to lower the noise. If not Coolermaster fans aren't bad too.

If you're looking for cheap lighting, get some Coolermaster LED fans. They have a decent airflow:noise ratio and are cheap. If you're going to get like 4 I recommend a fan controller though cuz the noise does add up.

Re: SilenX

EndlessSpiral said:
Take a look at SilenX fans.

They have the highest CFM/noise ratios, beating Panaflow, Delta, etc.

I just bought two 80mm thermistors (auto temp controlled) and they're barely 15db. A bit on the pricey side at $15CAN ~ $10USD.

http://www.silenx.com

Thanks, I have decided to go with those fans.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=321480

the above is a brief review under non-scientific conditions (!) between SilenX and Noiseblocker - another premium quiet fan with as good / better CFM / noise ratios.

In conclusion I preferred the SilenX - Noiseblocker seems to have a (very) high pitched whine attached to it.

I note that you've gone for the thermistor variant. Just a word of caution. The fans are rated at 14dB _at_2200pm_ and at that rpm they are damn near silent. However, stick the thermistor somewhere really hot and they'll go over 2700rpm easy. At that point they are NOT silent! On the other hand, they are shifting a reasonable amount of air and the noise they make is perfectly OK - it's just whoosh. No bearing noise, no whine, no fan 'thrum'.

It's worth experimenting with placement for the thermistor, but I'm now wondering about cutting off the thermistor and replacing it with a pot.

I'd reccomend Enermax fans - very good materials, nice airflow, not that noisy. My bro runs 120mm Enermax (edit - I've written Noiseblocker earlier, dunno why) - looks decent.
Problem with Enermax fans is that even if they have speed control, they still push enough air to procude noise. Solution - custom built transistor fan controller. Now that 120mm fan, pushesenough air, while being extremely silent (7v mod will not work, they start around 8v - weird).

Last edited:
Most fans have a start voltage under which they effectively "stall" and therefore promptly refuse to work.

Ven0m what's your bro's Noiseblocker like - all the NBs I've run across (including 2 I've fitted myself - the one I fitted into my machine I took out...) have had a vicious (near) ultrasonic whine.

Guess the 120mm should be running slower and might not be whiny?

any of the panaflo hydro waves...esp. if you peal bacl the label and add a drop of slick50 to the bearing. :)

mantrogo said:
Most fans have a start voltage under which they effectively "stall" and therefore promptly refuse to work.

Ven0m what's your bro's Noiseblocker like - all the NBs I've run across (including 2 I've fitted myself - the one I fitted into my machine I took out...) have had a vicious (near) ultrasonic whine.

Guess the 120mm should be running slower and might not be whiny?

Sorry, m8 - I've made somethign more than typo :)
I was thinking about Enermax and written Noiseblocker - dunno why, maybe I was tired or what. I fix it just now. Anyway, these fans are similiar a bit (only a bit).

I haven't heard high pitch noise from that Enermax, only whooooosh. After mounting transistor regulator, it was silent. (even silent enough to run at night)

Back