• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cooler for $50?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatlardo

Registered
I have a giftcard for 50, was looking at either the CM 212 Evo or the CM V6GT? I have an 2600k with max fans everywhere for the CM 912 case. Currently I have the 212+ that I will be moving to another rig. Is there something better for $50 for my setup? Currently I am getting about 28-36 degrees idle (is that normal between 4 cores?) and 52-59 on load on all 4 cores, this is with the 212+.

Where is the giftcard to (or is it like a visa giftcard)? So we can see what options you have from the retailer.

Sorry forgot to mention. It is for Bestbuy, but I can use the bestbuy gc it to purchase a gc from Amazon. So I think Amazon would be the place. Thank you.

The V6GT looks pretty solid from the reviews that I googled up.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1352/1/

Unfortunately that test was done with an i7 920 and the 212+ isn't included in that review, so you may have to do some searching. I'm not sure you are going to get a huge upgrade in a cooler by spending $50 (as your temps are already quite good at idle and load)

This thread may give you some insight as well. You will have to check for potential RAM clearance issues.

Probably 8-10 C better, with both using their respective stock fan. It is that good, believe me. Click the link below my location and you will open a page to all my reviews, where you can read the review on the Macho and also the one I did on the 212 Plus.

Probably 8-10 C better, with both using their respective stock fan. It is that good, believe me. Click the link below my location and you will open a page to all my reviews, where you can read the review on the Macho and also the one I did on the 212 Plus.

For the Macho, will I be able to add a second 120mm fan?

How is the Macho compared to the Noctua NH-D14? I was just offered it from my by my buddy for $50 as well. So between these 2, which one and why? TIA!

The NH-D14 is a better heatsink, no doubt. But, if your ram has tall heatspreaders you will have fan interference problems between the intake fan and ram, especially if you are running 4 sticks. But that can be worked around too. And that is a hell of a good price on a D14 too.

As for adding a second fan to the Macho, the heatsink is drilled for a second set of mounting clips. But the heatsink doesn't come with a second set of clips. Plus, since the design of it is set back away from the ram, you most probably won't have much room on the back side to mount a second fan. If you look in my review and look at the pics of when I ran it in passive mode, I mounted a gutted out fan frame on the back side to act as a funnel to the rear exhaust fan. And you can see how close it comes to the back fan. Plus, it really doesn't need a "pull" fan since it's so close to the case exhaust fan.

Thanks to all you guys! I will be going with the Noctua. I have to pick this up from my buddies house, which is about 70 miles, so I would say total is about $65, damn gas prices here. So I think $65 is still pretty good?

The NH-D14 is a great cooler, and you're getting it for a great price. It's complete overkill for a 2600K though, but why not for $30 less then retail?

So I can't find the link now, but if I change out to one of the 140mm stock fans to the 120mm noctua to both noctua 120mm, it gets better cooling. I find that weird. Any thoughts? Since I have an extra 120mm noctua fan.

I'm not sure I comprehend what you are asking.

Are you saying to replace a single fan solution with using two 120mm? That would make sense to me with a push/pull configuration.

Sorry, currently the original fans on the D14 are 140mm and 120mm. I will try and find the link, but when using 2 noctua fans for 120mm the results were better than the 140+120. I just thought that was weird. I hope I make sense? Let me know your thoughts on this.

That is interesting, I guess it depends on the total CFMs that each of them are doing and if the 140 is pushing or pulling the air through it from/to the 120mm.

It's probably due to the 120 mm Noctua fan having a bit higher static pressure than the 140 mm Noctua. But 1 reason why Noctua went with a 120+140 setup is that the 140 opverhangs the heatsink and blows more air around the mobo components. But it should still cool the mobo adequately with 2-120 mm fans instead of the stock setup.

Back