• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cpu air cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Thinking of getting an air cooler because I heard the CM 500P Mesh isn't good with AIO coolers. What would you guys say are some of the best air coolers? I know Noctua usually rules all but is that because the fan or the heatsink because those are some butt ugly fans. Also need ram clearance on the Asus Maximus 9. Thanks all.

I recently tried the Dark Rock Pro 4 as an alternative to Noctua coolers. Mounting is a bit more fiddly but it looks better if you care about that kinda thing. Cooling wise comparable to to upper noctuas, no scientific test but its good enough. I never had problems with the noctua coolers and ram, other than on dual fan models sometimes one fan had to be fitted higher up according to the ram.

If I were going to build a new system on air it would be w/ Dark Rock Pro 4.

I would say the one that fits your tastes and budget. At the higher end they all perform within a few c of each other. I really like Thermalright, A lot of people like Noctua, Scythe, BeQuiet, You pretty much cant go wrong it seems. Make sure it can handle the wattage you anticipate and you should be set.

Why would the CM 500P Mesh not be good for AIO cooling? Looks like you could put a 360 rad in the top panel. Don't believe everything you hear.

The top is acrylic. Very small choke point. Watched Steve on Gamers Nexus/youtube do a full review. I could put a rad up front. I'll see when I get the case. If load temps are over 65c with no OC I'm going air.

i'll throw my vote in for the Noctua D15S - if it's ram clearance you need, your ram will need a stepladder to reach the 15S, and it's 5mm shorter in overall height than the D15

performance wise, i couldn't see any difference in performance between the D15 and the D15S - had both on the same rig (i7-(5960X OC'd to 4.3) - and yeah, those Noctua fans will not be wilnning any fashion awards but who spends time looking at their fans - if you want you can always spring for noctua's industrial line, they're black and will turn 2000RPM

The top is acrylic. Very small choke point. Watched Steve on Gamers Nexus/youtube do a full review. I could put a rad up front. I'll see when I get the case. If load temps are over 65c with no OC I'm going air.

Yeah, I see what you mean upon closer examination. Looks like front mount would be better with water.

Actually, plenty beat that thing. It's a solid cooler, but not remotely the best.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181.html

That is a matter of opinion really. See over the years I have had many many many air coolers and really what is "best" is just as suggestive as what pie is the best. LOL.
I have the V8 cooler it works way better than the stock cooler LOL.
Any way for ME the best cooler for the money is the Cooler Master V8.
BTW I did not see anything on the cooler master V8 cooler on the link you provided. Just an observation but it is hard to "compare" something to another if the "other" is missing.
In my time with this cooler running an FX8300 unlocked @ 1.5 volts on the CPU and 4.4GHz this CPU doesn't even break 60*c! So yeah BEST cooler for me IMHO. I would defiantly recommend this cooler for ANYONE looking for a excellent high end air cooler without having to go water.
Oh and BTW the FX8300 is a furnace with today's CPU's this cooler should be able to keep the CPU at ambient air temp with massive over clocks, ( Just a theory ) as I do not see any reviews of this cooler on anything "new"
It's not the most popular but sure does one hell of a job! Dare I say the BEST job air cooling!

OH and it looks absolutely AMAZING!!

IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_8998.jpg

And it also has massive RAM clearance!

Also there are tons of new cooler looking and innovative things coming out every year it's just a matter of what fits your needs and what works best for you.

And also there is the discontinuing of product lines so new ones can come out.

Last edited:
It's a solid, above average cooler, no doubt! But there are other air hestsinks out there that perform better. :)
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5598/cooler-master-v8-gts-cpu-cooler-review/index9.html
In the end, even though there are more efficient solutions to buy at $100, the Cooler Master V8 GTS still wins me over. While not the greatest performer on the list, placing in the top ten air cooling solutions I have tested is no easy accomplishment. As I said, you can get better cooling, but nothing that looks this good, and as a point of fact, with the Thermalright coolers listed, as well as a few of the others, memory clearance is a definite issue with those. As for the Thermaltake and Noctua solutions, they are cheaper, but none of them look as good as the V8 GTS will in your rig. I do think this cooler could seek much better at a price point near $80, but that huge vapor chamber along with a triple set of fin stacks, while still offering users great access to their memory is still a commendable feat, even if a touch on the pricy side.

The best performance of a heatsink isnt a matter of opinion...but the look of it...definately subjective and a matter of opinion!

It's a solid, above average cooler, no doubt! But there are other air hestsinks out there that perform better. :)
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5598/cooler-master-v8-gts-cpu-cooler-review/index9.html

The best performance of a heatsink isnt a matter of opinion...but the look of it...definately subjective and a matter of opinion!

I agree.
Read what people think of it...

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103189

I also have this one and it is the best air cooler I have had too. so?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

The CRYORIG H7 is amazing as well it looks cool and performs really great. Never see temps above 55*c on my R3 1300X at 4GHz.

Last edited:
Honestly.. for 50 bucks, you cant go wrong with a True Spirit 140 Power. You can get it on Amazon. It performs better than Le Grand Macho RT ($80) which hangs with D15.. for 50 bucks! 360w of heat sucking goodness. No flashy lights, no glitter or spice. Just sexy heatpipes. 6x 8mm of girth for your pleasure. Add a TY-143 and tickle something else.

Mines a lil dirty, but I don't mind.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/your-pc-atm.65012/post-3978423

Honestly.. for 50 bucks, you cant go wrong with a True Spirit 140 Power. You can get it on Amazon. It performs better than Le Grand Macho RT ($80) which hangs with D15.. for 50 bucks! 360w of heat sucking goodness. No flashy lights, no glitter or spice. Just sexy heatpipes. 6x 8mm of girth for your pleasure. Add a TY-143 and tickle something else.

Mines a lil dirty, but I don't mind.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/your-pc-atm.65012/post-3978423

Honestly for 38 bucks you can have all the bling and way better cooling than that tinny thing can give LOL. 50 bucks for that?
38 for this !!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565

Id get the Cryorig over the V8 GTS, hands down. But neither are remotely "THE BEST" air cooler the OP is asking for.

Let's see... $90-100 for the V8 GTS or $39 for Cryorig H7 (and 1 degree BETTER performance)....Ironic how that "tiny thing" cools better than that v8 GTS....

h7.jpg

Edit: please dont ever use newegg reviews to support a point. Newegg reviews are not scientific reviews nor are these blurbs written by people who have half a clue. Seriously, I think half the people who write these eat glass...so clueless.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting an air cooler because I heard the CM 500P Mesh isn't good with AIO coolers. What would you guys say are some of the best air coolers? I know Noctua usually rules all but is that because the fan or the heatsink because those are some butt ugly fans. Also need ram clearance on the Asus Maximus 9. Thanks all.

If you're looking for a quality air cooler that also looks nice than The Phanteks PH-TC14PE gets my vote. Nearly as good as the big Noctua with much, much better looks.

I'm not sure why you think this case is inadequate for AIO coolers. There is adequate room up top for an AIO to properly breathe, though mounting up front would likely be more ideal assuming the tubing is long enough. Here is a quote from my review of this case...

... There was enough room up front to adjust the radiator down an additional 25mm. This should give enough room if you decided to add a radiator up top as well. The maximum top clearance with my ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 motherboard was 70mm. So with 25mm thick fans, you would have room for a 45mm thick radiator. That’s not too bad. There is only 20mm of space between the top fans and the top window. This is cutting it close but should be adequate for a proper exhaust.

With that said I don't believe Steve (or myself for that matter) ever tested thermals or airflow coming through the top as the stock set-up (front intake-rear exhaust) was found to be quite effective. Still, the 20mm clearance between the top fans and the top acrylic panel should be adequate enough for good temperatures.

Back