• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Disk Defrag Software - 2007

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which disk defragmentation tool do you prefer?

• Windows Built-in

Votes: 46 15.8%
  • Raxco

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • Ashampoo

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • O&O

Votes: 54 18.5%
  • DisKeeper

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • DiskTrix

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 40 13.7%
  • I use Linux, baby!

Votes: 21 7.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea it does seem to run slow, but at the same time I don't usually do things while I am defragging so RAM usage is of little importance to me. But what I really getting at is, exactly why and what it doesn't do well while defragging.

I don't completely understand the whole defragging process, but to me it would seem like all the programs have the same goal, which is removing fragments from the drive. So no matter what the program is, they all have the same objective which is removing fragments. But what it sounds like is the other programs do it faster and with less resources, but in the end still do the same job which is remove the fragments.

:confused:

o&o for instance has a bunch of different options for defragging. Defrag based on usage, name, or for most contiguous space in addition to stealth mode. Furthermore you can set it up to defrag every bootup (takes a litte bit) but when it does that it gets to defrag all the system files as well which you normally cant do because they are being used. Defrag using windows defrag and then analyze using o&o and perfectdisk. It is abundantly obvious how good a job windows defrag does. And it is CRAZY slow and a resource hog like europa said.

Anybody here try Ultimatedefrag????

I like the options for file placement, you can select what goes where, but every once in a while it hits a file, then I BSOD, this first happined on D: partition, when it hit an xbox ISO. I deleted the file, and it ran threw without issue, today I tried C:, and came home to fint it waiting at the log in screen.

Other then that, once I get it figured out, Ultimatedefrag will be my main defragger...... :D

I just got O&O and I always have this task running called oodag.exe. Does this NEED to run ALL THE TIME? Or can the process be killed? If so where is the best way to keep it from running all the time besides shutting it down in task manager so I wouldn't have to do it all the time?

i use o&o defrag with vista does fine, i just turn of the service that always runs and when i want to defrag i turn it back on :) no complaints works well with vista as well

start>run>services.msc and find the o&o service turn it off when u dont want to defrag and then turn it back on when u want to defrag

redrumy3 said:
i use o&o defrag with vista does fine, i just turn of the service that always runs and when i want to defrag i turn it back on :) no complaints works well with vista as well

start>run>services.msc and find the o&o service turn it off when u dont want to defrag and then turn it back on when u want to defrag

Thanks redrummy :) And yes it is a very good program

IAmMoen said:
do you have any horror stories to back that up? (Actual genuine curiosity) :beer:
It won't screw up your PC or anything. The problem with running programs while defraging is that the running programs won't get defragmented. So it's a good idea to try to close as many programs before defraging (this includes the toolbar programs too)

Perfectdisk will do off line defrags during boot to get around this.

It also does defrags in the background at low priority so you can do other things while it works.

Dudes, do any of these defragmenters allows us to REALY do something like this, in the exact order we tells it to:

Like In the begining of the drive:
- Windows folder
- Battlefield 2 folder
- Swap file
- Battlefield 2142 folder
- GRAW folder

Then, at the end of the drive:
- Movies folder
- Music folder
- e-books folder

fullgrip said:
Dudes, do any of these defragmenters allows us to REALY do something like this, in the exact order we tells it to:

Like In the begining of the drive:
- Windows folder
- Battlefield 2 folder
- Swap file
- Battlefield 2142 folder
- GRAW folder

Then, at the end of the drive:
- Movies folder
- Music folder
- e-books folder

Disktrix Ultimatedefrag does......

Wow Deja Vu...
Just this morning I decided to see if O&O released a Vista compatible version yet. GRabbed the trial but have not installed it yet.

I voted O&O because for XP, I had not used anything better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back