• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Disk Defrag Software - 2007

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which disk defragmentation tool do you prefer?

• Windows Built-in

Votes: 46 15.8%
  • Raxco

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • Ashampoo

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • O&O

Votes: 54 18.5%
  • DisKeeper

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • DiskTrix

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Other (Please list)

Votes: 40 13.7%
  • I use Linux, baby!

Votes: 21 7.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
humm

well, for those who have tested some...
what makes O&O the best so far?
what are the key features you would list in it's "pros" list?

whats wrong with the built in one?? i used to use diskkeeper, but after a fresh reinstall, i decided to just use the built in one becuase i wanted a compact system.

There is a function of the o&o software that you can defrag and place more accessed files at the beginning of the drive. Or you can do it by date modified or by name. And you can have o&o do an offline defrag everytime your computer starts. Problem for me is that usually when i restart it is because i installed a new proggie and i want to try it out. NOW!

I voted for o&o because I used it a while ago and was happy with it so I haven't tried any other ones besides windows built-in :thup:

grumperfish said:
Another vote for o&o- low system resource usage, simultaneous drive defragging (has to queue partitions though), and customizable defrag runs.

I would watch out for O&O Defrag, too! I had a problem that I never did before. When I tested O&O Defrag V8 on Windows XP, when using the boot-time defragmenter, after it was done and I rebooted, gotten this NSOD:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

What was that all about? That was even when my PC's rock stable! :eek: :mad:

That error message means that my registry was F-ed!

Just be careful with PerfectDisk and O&O Defrag. I dunno what the exact cause is.

Watch out, especially if you customized Windows XP or Windows 2000 with nLite.

This is bad news. because I never gotten HDD corruption with Diskeeper.

I never had any HDD corruption with PageDefrag and Contig.

They're more trusted than the big commercial ones.

One that I have been testing is JKDefrag, which is at the following web site:

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

JKDefrag, unlike all of the others is FOSS! Horray!

Also, I'm gonna test the Auslogics defrag software.

Last edited:
RJARRRPCGP said:
I would watch out for O&O Defrag, too! I had a problem that I never did before. When I tested O&O Defrag V8 on Windows XP, when using the boot-time defragmenter, after it was done and I rebooted, gotten this NSOD:

That error message means that my registry was F-ed!...

Just for reference, Ive found this article to be invaluable for recovering from registry corruption.

Diskeeper Pro Premier imo is the hands down best disk defragmenter bar none.

Especially with the new Pro Premier's iFaast feature.

But for the best cost effective version, Diskeeper 2007 Home or Pro is the best bang for the buck, but the thread title is 'Best Disk Defrag Software - 2007'

WeezleXX89 said:
whats the big deal spending 30 bucks on a software called Diskeeper when you can defrag using WIndows XP tools? What are some good tools disk keeper uses?

WeezleXX89 said:
I agree with you Archer36. how does windows defrag suck?

Diskeeper takes minutes, Windows defrag could take hours to finish. Plus with Diskeeper, you set it and forget it and it defrags on its own with no interference from a human, even more so with the 2007 versions.

Same thing happined to me, thats when I stopped using O&O. Ultimatedefrag has been working wonderfully on mine and kids PC......
Test Ultimate if you havent yet, I think you will be pleasently suprised....:)

RJARRRPCGP said:

That error message means that my registry was F-ed!

Just be careful with PerfectDisk and O&O Defrag. I dunno what the exact cause is.

Watch out, especially if you customized Windows XP or Windows 2000 with nLite.

This is bad news. because I never gotten HDD corruption with Diskeeper.

I never had any HDD corruption with PageDefrag and Contig.

They're more trusted than the big commercial ones.

One that I have been testing is JKDefrag, which is at the following web site:

http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

JKDefrag, unlike all of the others is FOSS! Horray!

Also, I'm gonna test the Auslogics defrag software.

The Wicker Man said:
Same thing happined to me, thats when I stopped using O&O. Ultimatedefrag has been working wonderfully on mine and kids PC......
Test Ultimate if you havent yet, I think you will be pleasently suprised....:)

I'm going to try Auslogics defrag software Jkdefrag and put them againsts Diskeepers Pro Premier. I just bookmarked both's download page.

Auslogic stood out primarily because of how fast it works. It is intelligent as well and does not take up multiple manual passes to get the job done (unlike stupid windows defrag).

over the years, i've used the following:

Norton/Symantec's Defragger (built into systemworks) - works very well
Ashampoo Defragger - Doesn't work so well
O&O - very awesome.... but don't reboot while defragging... or it screws up your HD's.
Auslogics Defragger - Trying now at work... seems to be decent so far.

The Wicker Man said:
Anybody here try Ultimatedefrag????

I like the options for file placement, you can select what goes where, but every once in a while it hits a file, then I BSOD, this first happined on D: partition, when it hit an xbox ISO. I deleted the file, and it ran threw without issue, today I tried C:, and came home to fint it waiting at the log in screen.

Other then that, once I get it figured out, Ultimatedefrag will be my main defragger...... :D

That's not good! Your RAM may be unstable if defragging fails with a BSOD!

Had that before, because my RAM OC wasn't stable and went ahead and launched a defragger anyway. Shall have ran Memtest86 first, but that was a long time ago, back in 2004. :(

If the RAM is stable, I would get another defragger.

It shall never cause a BSOD, because your file system can be trashed overtime.

Last edited:
O&O has been my favorite for years. I like the speed and how it integrates into windows. One drawback for me has been the slow release of x64 versions when they upgrade.

DWolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back