• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fan for ThermalRight 947u from NewEgg that's $20 <

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterChief1128

Registered
Best fan for ThermalRight 947u that's < $20

I had a ThermalTake Smart Fan II, but one of the fan blades busted. Are there any fans equal to or better than that one? By the way I'm using a Barton 2500+ and I just ordered my Abit AN7-S motherboard from NewEgg.

Anyways, I want the fan that will keep my Barton the coolest!

What about this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-614&depa=1

120 mm, moves 52 CFM of air, not bad for $12. All the reviews are good also.

Last edited:
Why newegg? I use the Delta HHE on my slk-948, so does arch. It puts out 80cfm at 42dB and is under the price that you wanted. You don't want to get a 120mm fan, b/c most of them don't put out enough pressure to cool the base of the HS. You need a 92mm fan that's 38mm thick to get the best cooling. Here's a link to the Delta if you want some more info. LINK

All right, thanks man. I've also heard that the 92mm Vantec Tornado is good, but that it's really loud. I can deal with the noise, but I'd much rather spend a few more bucks to get a fan that pushes close to the same amount of air but is quiter.

The Tornado is very loud, and although many people say they won't mind the noise, it'll get to you at some point. My brother had the 92mm Tornado and he just got the Delta HHE b/c he couldn't sleep with his computer on at night.

You can lower the noise a bit with a fan controller, but even at 7V it's a loud fan... the Delta is almost silent at 7V. When you have a HS like the Thermalright, you'll notice more of a difference if you have high pressure fans rather than high cfm fans. Good luck on cooling :)

the tornado pushes way more air than the SFII. the delta HHE pushes about the same but is quieter (and 92mm). many people say they can handle the noise of the tornado but end up wasting the 12 bucks.

CircuitBreaker8 said:
I dont think you can fit a 120mm fan w/o modding

Yeah, you're right I kinda forgot about that in my first post o_O

Anyways, I'm still considering the Tornado, but I would definately get a fan controller. The Smart Fan II is almost a full 10dB quiter than the Tornado, yet I remember cranking it up full blast one day...I couldn't hear for a week :p. One thing I really like about the Smart Fan II is it's temperature sensor, and how it varies it's speed depending on the air temperature around it. Are there any high CFM fans that have the temperature sensor? That'd really save the time and effort of having to adjust the speed manually everyime you wanted it changed.

Just for the record, here's a list of the fans I'm considering so far:

- 92mm Vantec Tornado (with a fan controller of course)
- Panaflo H1A (http://tinyurl.com/ysn4n)
- Delta HHE (http://tinyurl.com/17a)
- And maybe the Smart Fan II

By the way, what's the average price for a decent fan controller that controls only one fan? And if I got a fan controller, how low of an RPM would I have to run the Tornado at so that it wouldn't be obnoxiously loud? At that certain RPM (where it's not SuPeR loud), how much air do you think it'd move?

Last edited:
You could buy the Vantec Nexus from newegg for about 16 bucks and it controls 4 fans / 18W per channel. It's always good to have room to expand rather than have to buy another rheobus if you get more fans. Manual speed control works better than any temp sensor, b/c you can look at MBM5 (or whatever you use) and see when the cpu's getting hot and then adjust the fan to match. I wouldn't trust my temperatures to a sensor... especially when humans can do it so much better. I leave my fans all the way up during the day, and then put them on low during the night.

If you left your computer on with temp sensor fan, especially a SFII, you'd probably wake up if it ever turned on all the way.

The Delta ( or a T****** , i won't say the T-word :D ) should go from about 3500 rpms to about 2000 or so, maybe lower.

Ok, I'll look into that fan controller. Hey I'm about to go out of town for a few hours, I'll be back later tonight. If you're on then, check this topic 'cause I probably will have posted. Thanks for all your help so far!

Edit: Ok, back. I like that fan controller! Nice suggestion. With that, I'd be able to control whatever fan I get for my 947u, and also 3 of my case fans. How does the 'rule' go? More incoming air than outgoing air? If that's the case, then I'd probably use 2 of the controllers on intake, and only 1 controller on outtake.

Last edited:
Lol, sorry for my double post guys :bang head. I forgot that eiditing your thread doesn't bump it back up to the top.

You can put as many fans per channel, as you'de like, as long as the total fan watts doesn't exceed the fan controllers max watts per channel..:burn::)

12 watts = 1 amp
12 volts x 1 amp = 12 watts

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
:thup:

Ok, cool. So I've heard that the small (I think they're Molex connectors) aren't very 'controllable'. Are there adapters to change the Molex connector to one of the 4-pin ones?

Also, which is better: more air coming in, or more air being pushed out?

Thanks guys.

having a little more air coming into the case creates a slightly higher pressure inside, which makes air flow out of all the cracks in the case... keeping dust from floating in. You'll have to experiment though, because everyone's case is different.

I'm not sure about the 3-pin molex conn., I've never heard that.... plus most of the fan controllers (if not all) use 3 pin connectors so they must not be that bad. If you're set on changing over, I'd cut the wires and then solder a 4-pin onto it, or just cap the wires with molex pins and make a 4-pin yourself. If you want the easy way, you can get a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter, but I think they just clutter up your case... it's much neater to solder or make a 4-pin yourself.

Oh, sorry. I forgot I read that the Nexus Fan Controller one (that controls 4 fans) had that problem.

Ok, so I'm kinda confused. There are like 50 billion black Nexus Fan Controllers, which one should I get?!?!

Also, what's the cheapest (but good) fan controller for ONE fan?

Like I said before, buy something that can handle future upgrades... you never know what fan's you'll buy in the future, or if you'll want to be able to sleep with your computer on.

There should only be two black Nexus controllers, from what I can remember, the 3.5in floppy bay version and the 5.25" drive bay version... so pick one depending on how much room you have... the 5.25 looks cooler IMO, but the 3.5 isn't bad.

I seem to remember that there are combo Nexus things, that have support for cold cathodes and other stuff, but if you're not going to use ccfl's, don't bother. I have the bare fan controller only 5.25" version, and it's more than good enough for me. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a temp. dislay when MBM5 does the same thing for me .

Back