• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best heatsink/fan for socket A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tony

Registered
I now have a tbird 1ghz but it runs hot with the stock hsf. What would be the best AMD APPROVED hsf??
by the way are these chips overclockable? if so what can i expect out of it

tony (Dec 19, 2000 06:23 p.m.):
I now have a tbird 1ghz but it runs hot with the stock hsf. What would be the best AMD APPROVED hsf??
Buy an Alpha PEP66, I'm not sure if it's AMD aproved, but its the best. Yes your CPU is overclockable, expect 1.1GHz-1.2GHz with good cooling.

Tha PEP66 Requires you to turn its shroud to fit many motherboards. To overclock you CPU your motherboard must support multiplier manipulation. You must perform "the pencil trick" on you CPU.

Jeff Evans (Dec 19, 2000 06:33 p.m.):
tony (Dec 19, 2000 06:23 p.m.):
Buy an Alpha PEP66, I'm not sure if it's AMD aproved, but its the best. Yes your CPU is overclockable, expect 1.1GHz-1.2GHz with good cooling.

Tha PEP66 Requires you to turn its shroud to fit many motherboards. To overclock you CPU your motherboard must support multiplier manipulation. You must perform "the pencil trick" on you CPU.

get a super orb. it's ratied to 1.5GHz and will work on a socket a mobo

Regarding your CPU: expect 1.05-1.2 GHz. Maybe you'll only get a small overclock, maybe a larger one, it depends what color your core is.

For cooling you have several options. Your first option is the Thermaltake Chrome Orb or Super Orb. The Chrome Orb is not the greatest cooler, and additionally it makes a noticeable amount of noise. The Super Orb, judging from the noise of the Chrome Orb, must be rather loud indeed.

Your second option is the Alpha PEP66 or PAL6035. The PEP66 is probably the best Socket A cooler on the market, but it is also large and will not fit most motherboards without modification. It WILL fit the Asus A7V motherboard with no trouble. The PAL6035 should fit all motherboards, but it does not work as well. Also, depending on which fan you include with these, they may be somewhat to extremely loud as well.

Finally, a really good cooler, that is also quiet is the Agilent Arcticooler. It is just about comparable to an Alpha PAL6035 in cooling performance. Unfortunately, they are hard to find anywhere. I purchased mine from Newark electronics (www.newark.com). You can try searching there by manufacturer number for HACA-0001 (the Agilent model number). I have no idea if they still have them in stock, but it is worth a try.

Thanx alot nagorak ur right these things kick ***, they even beet the alphas!!! but... where the heck do i buy it i cant find anyone who has it.

screw all those, the absolute KING of Socket A HSFs is the GLOBALWIN FOP38!!! If it dosen't work on Socket A, there is a tiny peice of metal that you cut off (try a dremel!!) it is the absolute BEST...better than Alphas! It's a bit noisy, but it's a DELTA fan!!!
here's a review link:

trust me, just read that one page, and you'll understand!

sorry dude but i think ur mistaken cuz the articooler CA kicks the **** out of all other socket A coolers. Go ahead look it up. It doesnt do good with a peltier though

The panaflow Orb with copper heatspreader mounted through the four Mobo holes is the best socketA cooler. But it doesn't even compare to my liquid cooling rig, and with the peltier in the mail theres NO stoping me now >(

tony (Dec 20, 2000 01:08 a.m.):
sorry dude but i think ur mistaken cuz the articooler CA kicks the **** out of all other socket A coolers. Go ahead look it up. It doesnt do good with a peltier though

A. Availability isn't very good
B. FOP38 cools better than the Articooler CA
C. Only reason not to choose a FOP38 is because of the noise.

Back