• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best M-ATX Mobo for 860K?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

Ok guys, it;s looking like a Case Labs S5 for my wife's build, as I am getting a good deal on a pre owned one in white locally. My question is what is the better of the mobo's available for the 860K in the M-ATX size that will fit this case. I really wanted this for my build, but for the FX series CPU's I see the full ATX is better.

Here's a PC part picker link for her build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Evil-MOBO/saved/

I have a 380X in there for her at the moment thinking of selling the 750 Ti OC and water block and going air cooled on her build she agrees. We can add color with cables and LED lighting and what not. But if you guys feel keeping the 750 Ti OC is fine for her build then I'm good with that too. It's already on hand and I got it for $75 new on BF :thup:

Her PC will be used for email, in the living room, to watch you tube/you tube kids with my daughters and maybe some light gaming for three kids 8 and under right now.

Also is a Hyper 212 EVO good enough for her CPU, or is there anything better worth it for an additional costs. This build will be for her but I do myself plan to play with it and OC CPU and GPU just for fun and just because.

Thanks for the help.

I would use the 750Ti with the air cooler and call it a day.

As for a motherboard, there's not that many great options in mATX.

The cooler depends on how quiet you want it to be.

I would take a little more noise to get better performance for the air cooler.

So no good m-atx for the 860k? I thought that was just for the FX chips.... dang........

There are some that are decent ones, but none that are truly great.

The reason I ask about the cooler is that you could use something like the NH-D14 to get better performance and lower noise, but it'll cost more than the EVO.

I'm not concerned about the Air cooler cost being more, I will look up the Noctua you mention thanks.

She's gonna kill me because she wants that Caselabs S5 lol...... I can still use the M-ITX ASRock board and the i3 4160 for her for that case...... decisions decisions.......

That would leave one 860K for my brothers build and the second for........

Ok so what boards are the top contenders for an 860K?

I got a Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4 en route for one of the two 860K builds, need one more mobo to see what I can find second hand to save some $$

My choice would be one of these:
ASRock A88 Killer/Extreme6/Extreme4
Gigabyte A88 G1 Sniper/UP4

This is the one I meant to link before, but I was in the car on the highway an linked the other by mistake lol (I was not driving for the safety guru's out there):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132255

Overall the best board you can get for your chip but there are others that will clock it nearly as well for much less such as this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132134

Be sure to check out whatever you buy before pulling the trigger but if getting the Crosshair, no worries there.
I have a Crosshair Ranger and it has plenty of features to tweak with in it's BIOS.

As nice as the Ranger is, don't waste your money.
Something like the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ is plenty overkill for you and just over half the price.

As nice as the Ranger is, don't waste your money.
Something like the ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ is plenty overkill for you and just over half the price.

Perfect I have used two Asrock boards so far and been happy. Should I use the UP4 for this build or the AsRock?

You're doing two ATX builds, right? Use the UP4 for one and the Extreme6+ for the other.

Technically three lol.

But with 860K's two of them. One for my brother, the other for the wife. The wife's will be here and I want to mess with it OC'ing everything and stuff just for kicks to see what it does compared to my system.

So that's why I was asking if any preference one over the other mother board to keep the better one here. My brother won't be OC'ing much he will just leave stuff how I send it most likely.

Either one should perform equally, I would use one of each board in the two builds.

Back