• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best motherboard for this setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bounty29

2x 74gb 10k RPM WD Raptor SATA setup in RAID 0
P4 2.8c or e, havent decided yet
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro
Ultra 512 DDR400 RAM

What would be the best motherboard for this setup? The main points I'm looking for is onboard RAID controller, decent overclockability, and somewhat ease of use.

probablly the IC7-MAX3 would do great. It has the features you want, and some extra.

Just some advice, i was going to do this kind of setup, but i am deciding to wait untill dec, or even jan. to build. Why you ask, it is because of one thing. Pci-express. I may not get a huge performence leap waiting a couple of months, but boy, will it be upgrade friendly.

just my 2 cents.

~gamer

ok, but wouldnt the only thing i really would need to upgrade would be the motherboard? and thank you for your tips, im looking into that motherboard right now

after looking this board over, i am pretty please. its the first abit board ive really looked at and it looks very good. thanks for the reccomendation :)

Ok, now another question. With this motherboard, what processor would be best for overclocking? 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and Northwood or Prescott? This will be used for gaming and media. Thanks ;)

bounty29 said:
after looking this board over, i am pretty please. its the first abit board ive really looked at and it looks very good. thanks for the reccomendation :)

Ok, now another question. With this motherboard, what processor would be best for overclocking? 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and Northwood or Prescott? This will be used for gaming and media. Thanks ;)

A lot of people or having luck with the current 3.0C northwoods. I would avoid the prescott for now unless you want to at least watercool it.

ok, but wouldnt the only thing i really would need to upgrade would be the motherboard? and thank you for your tips, im looking into that motherboard right now

only the motherboard?? The motherboard is the most important thing in a PC. I would make as much upgrade friendly as you can!

~gamer

gamer004 said:
only the motherboard?? The motherboard is the most important thing in a PC. I would make as much upgrade friendly as you can!

~gamer

i know that the motherboard is the heart of the computer, but what i meant is: im gonna be getting a pretty pricey near top of the line system(for me) and im not gonna be gettign into any pci-express for a long time, i wont be upgrading anything really for at least the next 1.5-2 years. w/ the motherboard yoiu guys have showed me it doesnt get much better than that

Back