• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OS for an old low-end notebook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last I checked, Firefox was still supporting XP but that was 6 or 8 months ago. Firefox has hung onto that niche longer than Chrome since Firefox's popularity is a long way from what it used to be with mainstream users.

Search ocforums for 'update hack 2019'. C627627 found a way to get security updates on XP until 2019. IMO, XP with Firefox and the POS hack might be a good solution for that atom notebook for a few years.

I've done that hack and it works well. It basically turns you into a point of sale customer, a commercial demographic that Microsoft committed to continue supporting through sometime in 2019. The post April 2014 updates all have "POS" in their names.

Thanks everyone! I found a place where i can buy the RAM stick for a little more than 20$, When ill get my visa ill probably buy on amazon or ebay for cheaper.

About the hack, I will look into that and report if i find it and it works.

If I can give my n00bish 2 cents here, I agree on Win8.1+ram upgrade simply because it has a smaller memory footprint then Win7, slightly faster and more up to date (more stable/secure).

Also agreed with Mr Scott in that most programs will work (albeit slightly buggy) with WinXP but most refuse outright to install ?

Last edited:
Win XP + the 2019 hack + Firefox is what I would run.

Smart browsing will keep the viruses at bay - that applys to any OS.

I wouldnt run XP these days unless you absolutely didn't have another choice or needed it. The move to use the Point of Sale really is a one off and to me, dubious in nature taking advantage of a loophole to have support for an antiquated OS. It's intended for commercial customers and POS PCs (aka cash register), not consumers.

It will work fine, I just find using it in this manner is a bit questionable as you are not a business nor is the PC a cash register. :shrug:

I wouldnt run XP these days unless you absolutely didn't have another choice or needed it. The move to use the Point of Sale really is a one off and to me, dubious in nature taking advantage of a loophole to have support for an antiquated OS. It's intended for commercial customers and POS PCs (aka cash register), not consumers.

It will work fine, I just find using it in this manner is a bit questionable as you are not a business nor is the PC a cash register. :shrug:

LMAO cash register that runs WinXP? Show me that and ill but it just for gags :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry it took some time, I had to help my parents.
Okay so i installed Win8.1 Proffesional 32Bit and it runs smoother than the stock Win7. I also installed Classic shell and WinXP theme and it looks like original WinXP.

i have downloaded CPU-Z too but it shows something weird on the memory tab, Instead of DDR2 it shows DDR3 :shrug:

Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_3.png

Spd tab shows DDr2 though incase you didnt catch that. You can clear up any discrepancy by looking at the so-dimm. the slot will be in a differnet spot for ddr2/ddr3. Still is weird though, Im curious to see/hear/read why you would get that result

Spd tab shows DDr2 though incase you didnt catch that. You can clear up any discrepancy by looking at the so-dimm. the slot will be in a differnet spot for ddr2/ddr3. Still is weird though, Im curious to see/hear/read why you would get that result

I know its DDR2 cause thats what the CPU supports.
I will contact the developers and tell them about this issue tomorrow.

Glad to read that your upgrades are working out well for you. I'm surprised that Win 8.1 runs well with only 1GB of RAM. Enjoy your new toy!

My only experience with Win8 was horrible because it was installed on an All-In-One refurb with a failing motherboard. lol Lots of problems & I was actually happy when the system would no longer power up because I finally knew what was causing all the troubles.

Yeah, DDR3 would not have tight timings like that anyway I don't think.

Glad to read that your upgrades are working out well for you. I'm surprised that Win 8.1 runs well with only 1GB of RAM. Enjoy your new toy!

My only experience with Win8 was horrible because it was installed on an All-In-One refurb with a failing motherboard. lol Lots of problems & I was actually happy when the system would no longer power up because I finally knew what was causing all the troubles.

Why didnt you send the PC back to the shop so they can fix it?

Yeah, DDR3 would not have tight timings like that anyway I don't think.

Hmm okay.
I wonder if i should replace the thermal paste, Ive replaced the tim on my grandmas AMD notebook and cleaned it and there was about 10c degrees change, But that AMD CPU was really hot and my Atom isnt that much.

Concerning redoing the thermal paste, an old saying applies here I think: "Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke."

Concerning redoing the thermal paste, an old saying applies here I think: "Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke."

Yeah :), The only thing i hate about notebooks is that i have to lift it or use it on a table cause it takes air from the buttom :\

Sorry it took some time, I had to help my parents.
Okay so i installed Win8.1 Proffesional 32Bit and it runs smoother than the stock Win7. I also installed Classic shell and WinXP theme and it looks like original WinXP.

i have downloaded CPU-Z too but it shows something weird on the memory tab, Instead of DDR2 it shows DDR3 :shrug:

View attachment 184116
View attachment 184117
View attachment 184118

I haven't seen that desktop in a loooooong time! I have an XP SP3 disk around here somewhere. I wonder if I can run a tri-boot XP-7-10. LOL

Back