• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OS for an old low-end notebook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't seen that desktop in a loooooong time! I have an XP SP3 disk around here somewhere. I wonder if I can run a tri-boot XP-7-10. LOL

Just use classic shell and a winXP theme, You can change it anytime you want to your default theme and look.

I try to limit my third party apps to Recuva, Revo Uninstaller, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner. I have Acronis for a HDD problem I had and may keep that, but I like my OS lean and mean. LOL

I try to limit my third party apps to Recuva, Revo Uninstaller, Malwarebytes, and CCleaner. I have Acronis for a HDD problem I had and may keep that, but I like my OS lean and mean. LOL

Lol okay then :p.

OK, honestly, I tend to break stuff playing with it and it's just easier to fix with less clutter. :eek:

Same here, Funniest thing is half of the time its because i screw the screw too hard, Lol.

Exactly! I'm a little frustrated with my W7 install at the moment because I had tweaked so many things just so over the years to get it running right. Now I have a default install and the performance just isn't there yet.

Concerning redoing the thermal paste, an old saying applies here I think: "Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke."

I agree. What does hwmonitor show? I have had similar experience to what you said about your grandmother's laptop though... I just cleaned one up that was idling @ 60C and went to 80C when browsing. It now tops put @ 65C under prime :D

I agree. What does hwmonitor show? I have had similar experience to what you said about your grandmother's laptop though... I just cleaned one up that was idling @ 60C and went to 80C when browsing. It now tops put @ 65C under prime :D

Well, Ive downloaded HW Monitor and it doesnt show memory.. Here is a Pic :
Screenshot_4.png

Exactly! I'm a little frustrated with my W7 install at the moment because I had tweaked so many things just so over the years to get it running right. Now I have a default install and the performance just isn't there yet.
seriously? Looks at sig, looks at above post.... scratches head, walks away.

:p

Classic. Agrees with the advice to not change thermal paste followed immediately by a great story of why exactly to do it?!? :rofl:

For Pets sake people, we are a site of enthusiasts. If we cant change basic thermal paste, even on a laptop....

Classic. Agrees with the advice to not change thermal paste followed immediately by a great story of why exactly to do it?!? :rofl:

I see you misunderstand me good sir. Agree that "if it isn't broken them do not fix it", and then an example of how to decide if it's broken.

I don't know if the chip has been said in this thread and I'm not going back to read either :), but those Temps seem okay, and like re-timming can wait. Check the specs on your chip to be certain though

I see you misunderstand me good sir. Agree that "if it isn't broken them do not fix it", and then an example of how to decide if it's broken.

I don't know if the chip has been said in this thread and I'm not going back to read either :), but those Temps seem okay, and like re-timming can wait. Check the specs on your chip to be certain though

Tjincktion is 100c, Max CPU temp i had was 74c.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post

Don't want to go further off topic, but I was only referring to the OS' performance. The hardware seems to be capable enough. :D

Back