• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best RAID card for HD Video Editing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CombatWombat

Hi everyone first post in this forum :salute:

I need help figuring out the best PCIE 2.0 x4 or x8 RAID card to get right now for HD video editing on RAID 5 with x4 SATA HDDs.

My current build is as such:
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Asus P6T Deluxe
24 GB DDR3 1600
x5 Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDDs
Asus U3S6 USB 3.0 & SATA 6Gb/s PCI-e addon card (has 2 SATA III ports)
Nvidia Quadro 600
Antec TruePower Quattro 850 PSU
Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle (USB 3.0 capture device).
There's 2 SATA Opitcal drives (DVD & Bluray) in the build also.

I want to have a total of 12 HDDs, 8 for non-raid and 4 for RAID 5.
These will all fit in my CoolerMaster tower and heat wise will be fine.

I have 2 unused PCI slots and have 2 unused PCIe 2.0 x16 slots which will be limited to x8 or less as the config is limited to x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8

SSDs are still way too expensive for me at this time, and I'm trying to maximize this 2008 build PC.
Considering everything, which PCIe 2.0 x8 or x4 RAID card would be best? My Budget is around $400 USD for the card. I'm hoping that can afford me a good Hardware RAID card for what I'm doing. I'm thinking about using four 3TB drives for the array.

I plan on upgrading the video card to one of Nvidia's newer GTX cards later, probably will cost me around $600 to $800 for that.

NLE I'm using is Premiere via Win 7x64 and FinalCut via Mac OSX on Dual Boot.

thank you for help.

Are you looking to have all drives sit off this card or some, utillizing the onboard ports?

Where are you looking to install the apps/os?

What's your timeframe to upgrading to SSDs, if any?

How large are your videos?

Back