• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Memory for OC on K8N Neo Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-wannabe

Registered
I'm going to upgrade my memory and wanted to get some opinions on which one is best for Overclocking the K8N NEO2 Platinum with a A64 3200+ Winchester.

Do these two modules use the same chips?

The prices are $275 (G. Skill) $270 (OCZ), for $5 I'm kinda leaning towards the G. Skill. (a little concerned they have no heat spreaders)

G.skill (Samsung TCCD) Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR PC-4400
Model# F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE
Specifications:
Manufacturer: G.skill
Speed: DDR550(PC4400)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5-3-3-7
Support Voltage: 2.65~2.85 V
Bandwidth: 4.4GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64-Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

OR

OCZ Gold Edition Rev2 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4000
Model# OCZ5001024ELDCGER2-K
Specifications:
Manufacturer: OCZ Technology
Speed: DDR500(PC4000)
Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.8V
Bandwidth: 4.0GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
Corsair TWINX-1024 3200 LLpt 2-3-2-6 1T (2x512)
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
Thermaltake Purepower 480 watt PS
74gb Raptor SATA HD

pickup some third party heatspreader if you are concerned about heat on the G.Skill

might I add a third option to your list...try the OCZ EL plat rev.2 newegg got it for 268$(could be cheaper elsewhere too but I don't know the good US vendors.

I got this to replace my Corsair XL and it blew it away, great look rock solid performence and speed, overclockability aplenty.

Tekko said:
pickup some third party heatspreader if you are concerned about heat on the G.Skill

might I add a third option to your list...try the OCZ EL plat rev.2 newegg got it for 268$(could be cheaper elsewhere too but I don't know the good US vendors.

I got this to replace my Corsair XL and it blew it away, great look rock solid performence and speed, overclockability aplenty.

Sounds good thanks for the info!

DragonFire said:
My Corsair 3200XLPT for $248 is at 270Mhz using 2.5-3-3-9. Tho I noticed that get dam hot and now I have a fan blowing on them.

Kinda wanted to get away from Corsair...I seem to have alot of trouble with my 3200LLPT 2-3-2-6 T1 that I have now.

They won't let me go past 220 FSB no matter how much I relax the timings.

I had the LL too and they were not so great indeed, as for the corsair XL I had the 1.1 rev but I think the XL rev 1.2 use the TCCD chip now, anyone can corfirm the chip used on the XL

DragonFire said:
My Corsair 3200XLPT for $248 is at 270Mhz using 2.5-3-3-9.

Thought id number the questions so it's less hassle for you to reply to ;)

1) That's 270mhz fsb? Or 270mhz memory?
2) If it's 270 on the memory is it neo2 nf3 board?
3) If so, did you do it by locking memlock at anything, setting HT to 3x and just kept upping the fsb?

Much thanks!

The Gskill is rated better timings. I have two fans blowing onto my ram. If I ever have a problem with my ram getting too hot, I might look into some heat spreaders. I am not sure, but I think there have been studies that show that heat spreaders don't help cooling at all...my opinion: that they are used as an eye catching marketing tactic.

I dont see PQI or the OCZ (with the same memory bandwidth) running like the G. Skill...the PQI and OCZ both top out between 270 and 280...this is on default memory voltage...1:1/1T...so no need for heatspreaders...

This is also the LC's...the LE's are better on bandwidth...

7G.JPG

My vote is for OCZ Platinum Rev2....very fast. I hit 285 2.5-4-3-10 no problems. OCZ also has their own forums dedicated to helping OC maniacs like us, and their customer service is tops. I have had many others, but none have given me bang for the buck like OCZ. Look pretty sweet too.

And keep in mind, as most high end suppliers are using TCCD chips from Samsung, its all in the assembly and testing. Call it PC 4400 or 3200, it all depends on your timing at a given speed. The platinum run 2-2-2-5 up to 220 in my K8T Neo 2 Dual Channel, and did 218 in my 754 Nforce250 as well. I use the 3200EL as well, awsome ram if you just want to OC a bit, and keep the timings relatively tight, as it will run 220 @ 2-3-2-6.

As an assembler, I test many types. the only Ram i miss, is the Geil Golden dragon. That was sweet stuff, but disco'd in the 1 gig set. If you find some, it's worth the $, as it to will run high, but with no heat like these chips produce

Back