• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better Read! DO NOT POST ANY FREE IPOD OR PYRAMID SCAMS Or You Will Regret It

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
pummer said:
My opinion isn't going to be popular here, probably. Maybe I'm just naïve. But at the other forum I frequent, not only hasn't this deal been banned from their Hot Deals forum, it's been embraced by it.

It's not a pyramid scheme in the truest sense - you aren't required to give anything of yourself. For sure, I don't approve of the pyramid schemes where you send 5 dollars to someone and you're supposed to make $1203987123 in the end. If you sign up for the eBay referral, you don't have to give away your charge card number. EDITED BY SSS, DIDN'T I STATE I AM NOT GOING TO ALLOW THOSE LINKS? PLease dont post those links[/B] People have received free iPods, and I'm on my way to getting one. If I get one, I'll be sure to post pics and assure you all that this deal is in fact legit.

The company that runs freeipods.com, Gratis Internet, has resolved all complaints presented to it by the BBB. They also run and have ran many "deals" like this in the past, which I won't link to. I think it actually works because the amount of people who actually fulfill the required 5 referrals are slim compared to the number of people who peter out with 2 or 3. Gratis makes money off ad clicks, and they do these giveaways to get people to click their ads. It seems to work, or else they wouldn't be doing it.

Please DO N-O-T POST LINKS TO FREE IPODS or PYRAMID SCAMS IN THE CYBER DEALS SECTION!
I am sure some people will get free Ipods, when all the people that click that link get one then we may allow the link. As far as other forums embracing this situation, well some forums embrace Trolls and tolerate them, does that make them a better, safer forum?

Bottom line is the Pyramid schemes are not welcome here

Last edited:
proud to *bump* this up .... (nice work SSS) and thanks as always ;)

Excellent Warning/Notice SSS. I came across this after dozen's of people spamming other forums with that URL. What's so hard to understand about this scam? Whatever happened to working hard for your money to save up and buy something :p People should be banned if they continue to do this, warning is VERY VERY CLEAR. Thanks

Yeah I am very familiar with the version of these scams known as matrix scams. Its is hard to explain and I am sure someone has posted a better discription but i will try and explain it for your benifit.

Ok for an example i will use a "$30" matrix list in replace of the "ipod" one used here.
They advertise like this "you send $10 and after 5 people sign up you get $30". Sounds good enough, so people start sending $10 in and after a day or so over 5 total have signed up and the site sends that lucky #1 person on the list his $30 and the site pockets the other $20. Now its lucky #2s turn to wait for 5 more people, or a total of 10 people on the list until he gets his $30. This sometimes works and the first few people will get there $30 but if the #2 person gets her money that would mean that there is a total of 1 people on the list and in order for that 10th person to get his $30 a total of 50 people would need to sign up and pay $10. That persons odds arnt verylucky and if that #10 person does get lucky then the #50 person would have to wait for 250 people to sign up. People arnt gonna get so lucky to see that many people dish out $10. The list would mathmaticly grown exponentialy large and is doomed for faliure. This type of sceme has been deemed illegal and te site www.matrixwatch.org has sued the companys that the sites go threw and won. Go there if you need more info or pm me if you would like more info about this type of sceme.

Good day

dre

Silversinksam said:
I AM GIVING NO WARNING FROM THIS POINT FORWARD, ANYONE THAT POSTS LINKS TO ANY TYPE OF PYRAMID SCHEME INCLUDING FREE IPODS, WILL BE BANISHED.

-END OF PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT-

:mad:

Sam, does this mean that we cannot post any Social Security links? Try to prove to me, that the SSA is NOT a Ponzi scheme, or a pyramid scheme?

:D

steve

The thing I don't understand about freeipods and other scams of that nature is that one isn't required to give anything of themselves. Their click on an ad gives the site profit, rather than the profit coming out of the ipod hopeful's own pocket.

Plus, unlike those chainletter scams, you don't have to be recruited to get on the list. It doesn't go down the list in order; anyone can start at any time.

Thus, how is it a true matrix? I'm probably missing something obvious...

here's a matrixwatch thread about it

Last edited:
I have a question about this as well. My friend's TA did this and received his Ipod in a couple of weeks as well. I'm aware of what a pyramid scheme is;you send in money, etc etc but for this you don't actually send money. I think you're suppose to refer an X amount of people, and you have to at least make one bid on ebay for anything you want. My friend did this (made up an ebay name) and told me that's exactly what he did, it didnt ask for anything else.

Anyone else actually go through with this?

jlin453 said:
I have a question about this as well. My friend's TA did this and received his Ipod in a couple of weeks as well. I'm aware of what a pyramid scheme is;you send in money, etc etc but for this you don't actually send money. I think you're suppose to refer an X amount of people, and you have to at least make one bid on ebay for anything you want. My friend did this (made up an ebay name) and told me that's exactly what he did, it didnt ask for anything else.

Anyone else actually go through with this?

I'm glad your friend recieved an Ipod, but until they give them to all with no strings attached, Links to Free Ipods will be deleted.

I don't get why people keep posting after explicit instruction. Usually those who post tend to get credit for them anyways. Lame. Why post something like that around here anyways?

I agree not ALL are true matrix scams, but someone is getting cheated to pay for your 'free gift'. If its not other people, its the internet advertising companies getting ripped off (which i dont feel bad about personally). I tested one site a while back and got a gamecube and memory card for like $20, and some guy on forums about this site got 20 xboxs for $15 each. There are A LOT of strings attached, and it requires a lot of work. It took me days of calling companies to make sure my credit card was not charged. Nothing is even guarenteed, and you can randomly get charges on your credit card you have to dispute. No real point on dicussing it because its not allowed here, but just an example that the ones that do work are still very much strings attached and not guarenteed at all. I was just lucky that I got mine, and it did take about 4-5 months and emails just to ship.

The referal thing is still a matrix in nature. Say you need to refer say 100 people and you on on the top. The first level is you and you need 100 people, now the next level of those 100 needs 10,000, and the next needs 1,000,000, and so on with number of people in a level being (number of people needed to be refered) ^ (number of level) ie: 100^1, 100^2, 100^3. Only a small fraction of the people signing up for this get the ipod as the number of new people needed reaches infinity.

Originally Posted by Icebl@ster
well some peopel dont know these are illegal.Lots of peopel get ripped off by these there illegal and maybe the first peopel actaually get um but the rest dont which is bout everyone.Go here http://www.interleaves.org/~rteeter/pyramid.html thats shows stuff bout it

LIKE ME! i was a dumb newbie and dint know and asked "do these work?". I was told that it took one guy 4 years to get an ibook and it was obsolete, then i got a BIG administrative notice lol. I was afraid to post back here right away i didnt know what i did.

Now i do, Sry for doing that, and glad your out to keep our forums clean SSS.

Last edited:
What's up with this link from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000255LAC
THIS IS NOT A DIRECT LINK TO A SCAM. I'm a P.J. Harvey fan and was trolling for a good price on her new CD.

If you look about 1/3 of the way down, you'll see:
Customers interested in PJ Harvey may also be interested in:
Sponsored Links ( What's this? ) Feedback

Free PJ Harvey CD
Get "Uh Huh Her" Absolutely Free! While Supplies Last-18 & Older Only
www dot scumbagmerchantsRus dot com

And there is a link to that den of scum FreeGiftWorld.com. I read the deal more closely and not only do you have to opt in to an "un opt-outable" spam list, you have to give them a credit card number.

Why in heaven's name would Amazon partner with such a disreputable bunch of scumbuckets? They've gone way down in my list by including this type of link on their site.

Back