• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better than FX-8350 for $100 used? also need a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blahcomp222

Registered
I use an intel 2 core e8400 3ghz with mechanical drive and 3 GB ram.

Will something like a FX-8350 with 8 GB ram and SSD be way faster even if not OC'd?

FX-8350s sell for like $100 used on ebay. I want used, no debate.

I need performance for Digital Audio workstation music production with software synthesizers, some gaming but nothing fancy I'll lower res or something if needed to not lag on new games. I need web browsing and windows explorer to be as lag free as possible.

I don't need intel's built in CPU's GPU. I have a 1GB radeon HD7700 GPU. Will I get better value with an AMD without integrated GPU?

I don't want to overclock if possible, but I don't think there's anything that allows me to spend less and get more performance by just Oc'ing it, so I guess I do need the CPU to be oc'able, but I don't want to buy a fancy heatsink, maybe just a slight upgrade from the stock one or whatever makes sense.

I want the CPU socket to fit a motherboard which has no wireless components but has usb3.0. And I'll be putting 8 GB ram into it.

can you recommend the CPU, mobo and 8GB RAM. All used I want. But price range for new would be about $100 for the RAM, $100 for the mobo, and $250 for the CPU, but I can probably find these used for $50 RAM, $50 mobo, and $100 CPU.

THANK YOU!!

Will something like a FX-8350 with 8 GB ram and SSD be way faster even if not OC'd?
In most cases yes it will be.
When buying a Fx 8 series cpu a quality motherboard is very important if you want it to run well. Read this post it will be very informative on choosing a used motherboard.

Determining if what you use the chip for will utilize all the cores will be helpful. If the software does then the Fx 8 is a great chip if it doesn't you may want to get a Fx 6xxx.

As far as ram, most of us with the Fx 8 series are running G Skill ram, why because they just work! You can most likely use any other ram but some, like Kingston I have seen issues with. You should look for DDR3 1600-1866 Mhz with cas latency 9 timings or better.

If you wait until September 1st AMD is dropping the prices on Fx chips and you may find them less expensive on ebay.

Way faster but as Manny explained you need a high end board to handle the FX-8350 power draw.

many thanks for the input.

I will read that thread.

I will buy FX-8350 if none other is suggested. I'll google which motherboard is best. Hopefully the asus M5A97 because it's like $40 used and has no wireless and has usb3. I will learn if the black 8350 is better than the standard and if that motherboard will work with. thank you.

many thanks for the input.

I will read that thread.

I will buy FX-8350 if none other is suggested. I'll google which motherboard is best. Hopefully the asus M5A97 because it's like $40 used and has no wireless and has usb3. I will learn if the black 8350 is better than the standard and if that motherboard will work with. thank you.
There is only 1 Fx 8350 they're all Black Edition and unlocked. If sticking to stock clocks you may be able to run the asus M5A97 but it's is not recommended.

I will buy FX-8350 if none other is suggested.
Answer this question and we can recommend something to suit you.
Determining if what you use the chip for will utilize all the cores will be helpful.

Answer this question and we can recommend something to suit you.

Determining if what you use the chip for will utilize all the cores will be helpful.

I said it would be for DAW music production (multithreading CPU works well with aka FX-8350 I read was said to have better multithreading than the Intel it was being debated to death about on forums, not sure which intel it was an i5 something),

some gaming but nothing crazy,

and some HD video editing but nothing fancy but some of my videos are like a hour I want to edit parts out or combine many clips into about an hour.

And just internet surfing and windows explorer I want as lag free as possible.

I just got a 240 GB Vector 150 SSD, which will be mostly empty so that should help with the HD video editing if it needs buffer space possibly.

someone suggested the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for an FX-8350. that mobo's only like $140 used.

"Even a simple closed loop cooling kit or a decent air cooler should allow you to overclock to at least 4.2GHz, most likely more (~4.4). This will require a decent motherboard as well though. You might want to look at the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Getting a second hand one should be no problem and it's a solid choice for overclocking (and in general for that matter).

This will probably move your systems bottleneck from the CPU to the GPU but the bottleneck will be much, much wider."

Also, don't get ripped off. ALL FX CPUs are Black Edition. ALL of them

I considered an AMD FX-9590 over the 8350 but @ $250 used vs the 8350 @ around $120, the benchmarks aren't enough more impressive.
I'm just thinking AMD over intel because I already have the GPU so I'd imagine I'd get more value with an AMD that doesn't have integrated Graphics like the intels. And they seem to be cheaper.

Last edited:
I use an intel 2 core e8400 3ghz with mechanical drive and 3 GB ram.

Heck yeah! There's no such thing as a locked FX.

And even a Pentium G3258 would decimate it!

A stock E8400 is a joke for 2014 standards.....

Last edited:
Ok so the software will utilize all the cores. Therefore, the Fx 8350/8320 will be a good choice. Do not get a Fx 9590 first off there are only 3 motherboards that support the chip, Asrock Extreme 9, Asus Sabertooth and Asus Crosshair V Formula/Z and you will need ridiculous cooling for it. They are also nothing but binned and overclocked Fx 8350's.

Motherboards: The Asus Sabertooth is the go to board, reason being is because it works and works well. You can overclock a Fx 8350 as far as your chip will go on ambient cooling on one without issue, in most cases. That said if it is out of your price range then it's no biggie. There are others that will run a Fx 8350 well you just may not be able to overclock it as far on one.

Asus M5A99X Evo or M5A990Fx Pro are both good motherboard but will not have enough power to push the chip far beyond 4.5 from what we have seen. I've seen the M5A99X Evo go for around $75.00 on Ebay and I also own one it's a really good board.

The Gigabyte ga 970a Ud3p and ga 990 UD3 are also good motherboards except certain revisions. Certain revisions we have seen issues with especially the Ga 990 UD3 Rev 3.0. This unknown is why some of us have a hard time recommending them.

The Asrock 990Fx Extreme 9 is also a really good board but on the price range of the Sabertooth. If one can find it at a good price it is a good board to choose.

Overclocking: If you do choose to OC then you will need to make sure you have the following:
A top notch heatsink
A high quality Psu of at least 500W
Very good case airflow.

These chip really start cooking when you push them and unless you can keep it cool it will be unhappy.

Blah, you're speaking in absolutes here.

While the 8350 will absolutely dominate your 8400, if you don't overclock it, don't expect "lag free, 100% perfect" user experience in your daw.

Also, the 8350 is incredibly hyped up by amd fanboys. I have an 8320 I can set at literally whatever I feel like, and I'm still having lag issues.

"Going cheap" on a motherboard or psu WILL cost you money. My 8320 Bricked TWO m5a97. Please don't get that board with this chip! I very much appreciate being "cost effective", but as I've learned (the hard way), it's not very cost effective if you have to replace parts.

If you're not planning on serious overclocking, get an 8320 not an 8350.

Also, the 8350 is incredibly hyped up by amd fanboys. I have an 8320 I can set at literally whatever I feel like, and I'm still having lag issues.
Bob can you clarify this I'm a little confused by it. You're having lag issues with what and are you saying the 8320 is as good as the 8350?

If you are saying the 8320 is as good I agree to a point. In most cases the 8320 will do and Oc as well as a Fx 8350 on Ambient Air. It's only when they are being really pushed on extreme cooling when the 8350's will start to OC higher then the 8320 in some cases.

Not crazy about buying used AMD mb's myself. The chip and ram are less likely to have issues. The mb's are really a coin flip.

Anywhere near a Microcenter? If so definitely wait for price drop and you could possibly find most of it new.

It looks like your trying to squeeze it all in with around a $200 budget. Unless you get lucky I think your looking more at a FX 6 setup.

Bob can you clarify this I'm a little confused by it. You're having lag issues with what and are you saying the 8320 is as good as the 8350?

If you are saying the 8320 is as good I agree to a point. In most cases the 8320 will do and Oc as well as a Fx 8350 on Ambient Air. It's only when they are being really pushed on extreme cooling when the 8350's will start to OC higher then the 8320 in some cases.

I mean for vst stuff. The whole reason I got the 8320 in the first place was because the amd fanboys were touting how well it performs, and I've been significantly unimpressed since I've owned this chip. It's good for what it does, and it's cost.

And I don't mean you guys that prefer amd or whatever. Not every website is full of well spoken, educated adults that actually know what they are talking about :thup:

as far as 8320 vs 8350, It doesn't sound like this guy is doing a y sub ambient cooling. I'm probably spoiled with a great 8320 I suppose, but if he's staying under 4.5, why waste money on the higher end chip. May help get him into a proper motherboard.

People are saying I'd get the same performance of a CPU half the price of an FX-8350 if I don't OC the 8350, but then how do you explain the non-OC'able Intel Core i7-4810MQ Laptop CPU
benches almost as much as the FX-8350, and the Intel Core i7-3840QM laptop benches higher?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I'd like to not have to deal with OC'ing. But if I really need to to get the good performance, then what heatsink do you recommend (not water, and I want Used ebay that can be had for like $40 if possible)? I don't want to risk taking the 8350 too high, more like %75 max potential, but I don't want to go through all this trouble building a PC when I could have just connected a monitor to a Core i7-4810MQ Laptop and gotten the same performace for about the same amount of $ spent. But I already got all the parts so far besides the heatsink, CPU and mob. I have an Antec 550W Basiq certified PSU, 240GB SSD, new case with 4 big fans, 1GB HD7700 GPU.

The one Youtube FX-8350 OC tutorial I checked uses the sabertooth 990 and seems pretty straight forward. And it was recommended here although I read some complaints about it, I guess I'll go with that, but I need a heatsink and then let me know what max I should set it at even though the 990 can be set (or is default set) to shut down in case it gets too hot.

thank you.

People are saying I'd get the same performance of a CPU half the price of an FX-8350 if I don't OC the 8350, but then how do you explain the non-OC'able Intel Core i7-4810MQ Laptop CPU
benches almost as much as the FX-8350, and the Intel Core i7-3840QM laptop benches higher?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I'd like to not have to deal with OC'ing. But if I really need to to get the good performance, then what heatsink do you recommend (not water, and I want Used ebay that can be had for like $40 if possible)? I don't want to risk taking the 8350 too high, more like %75 max potential, but I don't want to go through all this trouble building a PC when I could have just connected a monitor to a Core i7-4810MQ Laptop and gotten the same performace for about the same amount of $ spent. But I already got all the parts so far besides the heatsink, CPU and mob. I have an Antec 550W Basiq certified PSU, 240GB SSD, new case with 4 big fans, 1GB HD7700 GPU.

The one Youtube FX-8350 OC tutorial I checked uses the sabertooth 990 and seems pretty straight forward. And it was recommended here although I read some complaints about it, I guess I'll go with that, but I need a heatsink and then let me know what max I should set it at even though the 990 can be set (or is default set) to shut down in case it gets too hot.

thank you.

Well, I would be really careful on overclocking by the videos I've seen on youtube. Most of them brute force their chips by setting them to 1.5V and then just set the multiplier at a 4.7-5.0 and call it "stable".

The simple way I've seen being done here in and how I did mine was to start small and gently work their way up until they reached a desired stopping point, be that performance, a set frequency, or temperature/voltage comfort level.

I'm working on overclocking mine right now, and every chip is different... I'm stable at 4.7Mhz with 1.380V but another chip might take more, or maybe less.

The process can be a lot of fun and I'm learning a ton about the my system as a bonus! wat causes instability, what temperatures are important and which are not... it's a good thing to learn as your moving along... I even fixed my little cousin's computer (Ram timings and voltages had been manipulated and he either forgot or another brother had been trying to "help" him.)

I can't help you with choosing a CPU, but as scary as it is to "overclock" as long as you stay vigilant, don't move too quickly, and ask a lot of questions in the process I think you should find your system will let you know your getting into a danger zone way before it becomes a real problem.

and I'm a newbie, so take my advice with a grain of salt ;).

:welcome:Welcome:welcome: to the forums!

oh great, so the tutorial videos instruct how to break the machine. I just need them as a reference for like what to do where, in other words, I guess I can just go a little lower than they show, if that's as easy as it sounds without spending days researching.

why don't I just return all this shjt I bought and plug my monitor and keyboard into a probably $550 used laptop with a i7-4810MQ or Intel Core i7-3840QM which benches almost as good if not better than the FX-8350 according to that list? I'll only need 8GB RAM, I don't NEED such a big SSD, the GPU I can sort of live without the 1GB RADEON.

oh great, so the tutorial videos instruct how to break the machine. I just need them as a reference for like what to do where, in other words, I guess I can just go a little lower than they show, if that's as easy as it sounds without spending days researching.

There's a lot of bad info on the net, I didn't mean to freak you out... it's not that difficult to OC, here's a few key things I've learned in my search that will shorten your journey (if you still want to do it).

1. Download these programs:

Prime95, CPUZ, and HWMonitor.

These programs are what your going to be looking at to ensure that your overclock is good.

2. How to use these programs:

1. CPUZ - lets you look at your CPU clock speed, multipliers, P-states ect... that's a lot of mumbo jumbo for someone who's just starting (me too) but in laymen's terms your going to be taking snapshots of these and posting them on the forums if you need help.

2. HWMonitor - This lets you monitor your voltages and temps on an 8350... now depending on which motherboard you get it will have slightly different naming scheme for those temps and voltages. Ask the guys here, they know their stuff!

3. Prime95 - this is your stability testing program

To start with you'll want to get a 20 minute test of P95 Blend, (it's the first test option when you open it up) You'll have CPUZ open and HWmonitor to log your max temps while running.

Breakdown on important temperature threshholds for mild overclocking

1. Your CPU cores shouldn't get above 62C
2. Your CPU socket shouldn't get above 70C
3. There are other temps to consider but if you purchase a good board and don't plan to go very high on your voltages you shouldn't have to worry much about the VRMs.

Overclocking settings:

-Turn off all power saving functions (C6, Cool N Quiet, APC, C1/E and anything that is board specific)
-Turn off your turbo core setting.
-Load Line Calibration on your CPU can be set very high or extreme to increase stability.

With the 8350 for a simple overclock you can up your CPU multiplier from 20.0 to 20.5 which should give you a clock speed of about 4.1MHz.

Run Prime95 blend with HWmonitor and CPUZ up and running to log those temps and voltages, you should be in the high 1.2xx to low 1.3xx at stock voltage.

If it fails prime before 20 minutes, you know you most likely need to up the voltage to your CPU, give it the minimum voltage increase (My mobo lets me do .00625+/- at a time) and run it again to see if it will fail.

Each time you get a stable overclock, step up the multiplier again (20.5, 21, 21.5, 22, 22.5 ect)

Each time you fail, add a small increment of voltage.

When you finally get to an overclock you'd like to stay at and really test, run 2 hours of Prime95 Blend, be very watchful of the temps throughout this as around the first hour or so you'll see a pretty substantial spike in temps. If it passes this, most folks consider this to be a "stable" overclock.

Stay below 1.5V as a newbie, if you start approaching that number or if you get close to 62C on your cores or 70C on your socket, STOP and ask for help.

Remember: every CPU is gonna be a little different. That's part of why folks write brute force guides to overclocking that allows almost any user to obtain similar results... 1.5V at 4.7 MHz on almost every CPU is gonna be way too much voltage.

Think of this like fine tuning your very own automobile... some of us want a sports car, some want a mud bogger, some want a monster truck... knowing what and why your want something will help you select the system you want.

As for your question on selecting a laptop or an 8350... I can't make that choice for you. You could get a lemon chip that doesn't overclock at all, you could get one like mine that looks like it will overclock to a ceiling and then won't go over that, or you could get a chip that overclocks to 5.4MHz and is the envy of the community... and I'm sure there are any variations of that along the way. Bear in mind that once you get your stable overclock you will be able to save the settings, put them in when you want to or reset all the way back down to stock if you'd like and return to that at a later date.

It's really a matter of choice, not knowing anything about that laptop I can't comment.:salute:

Last edited:

why don't I just return all this shjt I bought and plug my monitor and keyboard into a probably $550 used laptop with a i7-4810MQ or Intel Core i7-3840QM which benches almost as good if not better than the FX-8350 according to that list? I'll only need 8GB RAM, I don't NEED such a big SSD, the GPU I can sort of live without the 1GB RADEON.

blahcomp, you came here stating you were going to build the Fx 8350 into a rig. This was your call, no one is stopping you from going out and getting a laptop if you do not want to build a rig yourself.

With that said I will give you some real world information. I have components galore stashed away in bins that I use for benching. I also have 4 rigs up and running, that are used everyday for my "real work" as well as gaming:
Fx 8350/CHV in signature @ 4.7 Ghz
AMD 955 BE/ Asus M5A99X Evo @ 4.1 Ghz
Intel I5-2500k/Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 @ 4.5 Ghz
Intel I7-4770K/ Asus Z87 Maximus Hero in signature @ 4.4 Ghz

For real world usage, I do not feel any difference when I'm on my AMD 8350 over either my Intel rigs. I choose to use my Fx 8350 rig for the most part because I feel it runs smoother then either Intel rig. Can I give you a specific example of why I feel this, no. I can tell you I am on my rigs for the better part of 10 hours a day and they are running the processor on avg around 50% for the most part. I can tell you for whatever reason the Fx 8350 just seems to run faster for what I sue it for.

For gaming if I switch one of my Gpu's from my AMD rig to the Intel rig I will see a few FPS improvement in Gpu dependent games but the difference is marginal at best. Visually, you cannot tell the difference. It's if one is using dual Gpu's in X Fire or Sli when Intel rigs will start to really outshine an AMD.

If benchmarking yes you will get better scores, for the most part using Intel over AMD, but in real world usage what you use it for will determine if going Intel will be better for your usage. I do know we have a few people that use the Fx 8350 for editing videos and they find that is works well for that use. How does it compare to the laptop you linked for editing I do not know. The Passmark link shows on Cpu performance that they are on par with one another. Though, you will not be able to OC the laptop to increase performance as you will with the AMD rig.

why don't I just return all this shjt I bought and plug my monitor and keyboard into a probably $550 used laptop with a i7-4810MQ or Intel Core i7-3840QM which benches almost as good if not better than the FX-8350 according to that list?

Pretty sure you can do whatever you want it won't hurt our feelings.

You don't have to OC. If you go AMD, unless you are inclined to put in the time learning and testing then don't worry about it. Its also not something you have to do the second you build, you can do it a year from now, 2 years from now or never. You posted about a cpu that most here get to OC and this is Overclockers forums so don't get frustrated when people here push you towards it.

Also its hard to recommend a build for you when your buying stuff off ebay that is going to vary in price and quality. If you know what parts to look for and can find them at a good price, more power to you. If you got someone's junk they fried though, sux to be you.

As far as buying an old laptop bc the cpu benchs are similar.... guess its easy but its horrible if you want even a somewhat decent desktop. Main thing I hate about laptops is they run great for a year or so but they all slowly degrade and turn to crap and die hard no matter what cpu they got. There are to many other components to a pc besides just the processor that go into overall performance.

Blah, we have tons of tutorials and lots of people willing to help here. The only decent overclocking video I've seen is from jayz two cents. There's one with an 8350 and sabertooth and it's just AWFUL. He uses heaven uni engine to test his cpu (that's a GPU benchmarking program...) and he starts at 1.5v and starts high. He winds up with a like 1.42v at 4.5ghz which is ridiculous lol

Overclocking isn't difficult anymore, and as long as you have a decent motherboard, its pretty safe. It's just knowing what to do and being willing To spend the time to do it right.

Back