• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

better than FX-8350 for $100 used? also need a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, sorry, actually, those high-end laptop CPUs that bench right under or above the FX-8350 in the link are no where near $550 used like I said, they're like $1200 shipped used. I can easily find parts to build a used 8350 machine for half the cost and still get better performance, have a 24" 16:10 LED monitor, better GPU, better SSD, better ram, and don't have to sit 1 foot from the screen, etc.

Plus as you said, it will only be as good as what I need it for, and the most I'll push it for is probably multithreading in DAW which AMD is said to be better than intels (the laptops), so that's good, I just also want to make sure that for regular internet and windows explorer that I never have and lag issues ever again, but I don't think that would happen even with something like a stock 8350 mobo.

So I'll continue with this build which is only missing the mobo, FX-8350, heatsink, and RAM. I'll get the sabertooth and google what the best RAM is I can hopefully get for around $85 used. All I'm wondering is what heatsink that simply installs on the processor without water and pipes and radiators that will allow good OCing the 8350.

thanks so much, all.

basic clocking the 8350 is a breeze with the right board and cooler.
the hyper 212 evo is the go to cooler, just mind the 2 temps, socket/cpu max=70c
core/package max=62c. some 1866 ram and your off to the races.
there are lots of knobs to turn and buttons to push, but vcore and multi will get it done for you.

As C/D said Hyper 212 Evo is a really good Heatsink for Ocing, if you can find one used they're usually around $25.00 on Ebay. Other options are Prlomatech Megahalems or Thermalright True 120's both can be found on Ebay for around $25.00.

As far as ram goes DDR3 1866 with cas latency timing 9 is your best bang for the buck.

With an Asus Sabertooth and a quality heatsink as listed above you should be able to do around a 4.5 Oc without an issue on a Fx 8350.

My AMD chips are my favorites to play with when overclocking.

thanks again so much. Thread solved.

As far as the heatsink if you can find a Thermalright True 120 on eBay it is a much stouter heatsink than the Hyper 212 EVO. It has more mass, heavier copper base and more heatpipes. Plus it uses the stock AMD backplate and is much, much easier to install. The minus is how the fans mount but it is still the better option imho.

As far as the heatsink if you can find a Thermalright True 120 on eBay it is a much stouter heatsink than the Hyper 212 EVO. It has more mass, heavier copper base and more heatpipes. Plus it uses the stock AMD backplate and is much, much easier to install. The minus is how the fans mount but it is still the better option imho.
QFT!!! I have one I picked up on ebay for less then $20.00 and it's still a darn good heatsink, I also have a Prolimatech Megahalems I picked up on ebay for less then $20.00. They are the two best heatsinks I own.

Back