• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

between 3 different kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
NG has some black friday deals going on and im looking at these 3 kits, yea at different price points.
all of them are 8GBx2 kits.
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880
https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225142
https://www.newegg.com/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820225144

never used patriot before mostly G.skill in the past, if the steel series is as good now as it was in a few reviews i saw online it would be worth going with the 4400 kit. while i no longer really OC my rigs since the most demanding game i play is WarFrame if that gives you a idea. given the deal it seems on the 4400 kit and even if i cant run it at 4400, running slower speed with tighter timings should off set that a bit.

thanks for the input from a out of touch oc'er.

G.Skill looks like Hynix IC. Patriot kits look like Samsung B. 4400 is 100% Samsung B but 4000 should be too. I was reviewing the 4400 kit and it was pretty good. It's about the same as DDR4-4266/4400 CL19 from TridentZ series but costs less.

I have the patriot viper blackout 4000mhz in 2x8Gb and it is samsung b die. it will run 16-16-16-35 @ 1.35 (havent tried less voltage) will run 15-15-15-35 at 1.365v

thanks, yea when i came across womacks review of the 4400's i added that to the list. i figured it was the better bet for getting tighter timings if i was stuck to a lower speed then the 4000's. samsung ic's seem to be the best lately, still got my ddr3-1600 eco samsung sticks chugging along at the listed ddr3-1600 timings and a bit more then 1.35v for ddr3-2000. imma snag that kit with the asrock z3970m thats on BF list as well. seems like a super deal, only thing left find a deal on a cpu after doing a bit more research. i think its been more then long enough using my 4970k setup.

For daily work and gaming, I'm using Micron as it's the easiest to stabilize and I don't care about 1% lower performance. I just don't care about high OC or long stability tests on my daily driver. For competitive benchmarking, higher binned Samsung B is still the best. However, not all Samsung B chips are equal. There was even one ADATA review on the front page with Samsung B that couldn't pass 3800 and for that required relaxed timings. I had the same situation with G.Skill Royal 3600 CL18 which was cheap so I wanted to try it. Samsung B which couldn't even work at 3800 or at 3600 and tighter CL than 18.

I wonder if the next generations will scale better with memory clock as then Samsung can have a problem even in competitive benchmarking. The current Samsung IC is scaling well up to ~4500-4600. Above that needs more relaxed timings. There are of course exceptions but not many. Available Hynix and Micron IC can already pass 5000 stable CL18 but at more relaxed sub timings and quite high voltage. Actually all 4600+ kits have 1.5V+ so going up to 1.6V is not a big deal. Brands like Corsair put Micron E in their highly overpriced 4800+ kits.
Right now it's an empty memory clock as on new Ryzen ~3600-3800 and tight timings give or similar or better performance. On new Intel memory controller is not scaling well past ~4400 and it's better to use 4000-4200 and tighter timings. On HEDT platforms still ~3600 CL16 is optimal and tighter timings are better but higher memory clock is not helping much.
I thought that DDR5 will be introduced next year but everything will be delayed and we will see at least 2 more generations on DDR4.

that interesting i was going to ask something similar and was looking at the top two links.

I was going most of my research on the g.skill and from what i came up with is with a slight bump in voltage you can get the timings a bit lower (as usual with most sticks)
the reason i was looking is because my current 3600 kit wont run with a cas less than 19 or 20 so i was going to buy a new cpu and ram, swap it out in this (my main) system and move that stuff to a matx board to use in the living room65

Back