• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware the "tech guy" at your local comp store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
gosh, I wish I would have known sooner that this kit was so good....

and why didn't u slide in and tell that guy not to get the kit?? ahhhh

Quattro said:
I work in auto sales, and I can understand try to sell the product with the most profit. But if the product you sell isn't the one the customer wants they will think that the best suited product you sold them was rubbish and will not be returning customers.

Also, why don't you sell the high profitability products? Because if we all put our customers off the low profit stock, eventually that stock will have declined in value so much that when we finally find someone who insists they want it we actually loose money. Well this seems to happen in the auto trade, we often sell the crap that makes us no money as early as we possible can.

I guess its not that I was selling it because it was cheap or anything like that. Its what the guy wanted / needed. Its not like the battery backups arent marked up 100% anyways, no matter which one you get. I saw where my sales manager was coming from, but at the same time all he cared about was making money. Almost like he would rather have not even gotten the sale, if it didnt make him 1 million dollars. Also i thought any battery backup was overkill for what this guy wanted to use his comp for.......

JudgeDredd said:
So if you're ever in MY store, come to aisle 2. I'll be tidying my cases, PSUs, and case fans... and occasionally bad mouthing the ECS/PC Chips motherboards to customers looking for "that cheap combo in the AD." :beer:

[/ramble]

Heh, Im one of them who bought 'that cheap combo.' ECS mobo and amd athlon 2800 for 100 bucks. Didnt realize what I was doing when I got that ecs.. but im perfectly happy with the amd.

feladis said:
Heh, Im one of them who bought 'that cheap combo.' ECS mobo and amd athlon 2800 for 100 bucks. Didnt realize what I was doing when I got that ecs.. but im perfectly happy with the amd.

Yeah, I bought an even-cheaper Duron 1.6GHz and PCChips mobo there for $40. Of course, I never even opened it and sold them on eBay. That's all PCChips/ECS boards are good for (well, I did have an old one hanging on my wall next to some posters).

King_Of_Pain said:
I guess its not that I was selling it because it was cheap or anything like that. Its what the guy wanted / needed. Its not like the battery backups arent marked up 100% anyways, no matter which one you get. I saw where my sales manager was coming from, but at the same time all he cared about was making money. Almost like he would rather have not even gotten the sale, if it didnt make him 1 million dollars. Also i thought any battery backup was overkill for what this guy wanted to use his comp for.......

They're only marked up 100%? My friend works at Best Buy and he just recently bought a $15 cable for $0.83 with his employee discount (5% over cost on most items, there are exceptions). That would put the cost of a $15 cable at rougly $0.79 making markup about 1900%. Everyone needs a friend who works at Best Buy. I get most movies around half price (if I can't find 'em for even less on Ebay). He got an 'out of box' Ipod for $100. It's disgusting what electronics stores sell stuff for. Their profit margin would be ENORMOUS if it weren't for their executives paying themselves unreasonable amounts of money. Makes you want to get into the business. Too bad they don't get discounts on plasma TVs though...

I've had pretty good luck at MicroCenter in Boston/Cambridge MA, the salesman who helped me over winter break seemed glad/impressed that I actually knew what I was doing :)

A few weeks ago I was in Worst Buy, and decided to see if they sold retail CPUs (I knew all too well that they did not, but was feeling bored that day). The exchange went as follows:

D: Dreamstalker
E: Employee

D: Hi, I was wondering if you carry processors.
E: Well, we have photo printers and software.
D: No, I'm building a system and am looking for processor chips.
E: *blank look*
D (instantly sensing that I had to nicely dumb things down): The processor is the chip inside a computer that makes everything work.
E: Oh...I'm not sure, let me go ask.

A few minutes later, employee returns with what appears to be a floor manager. Rinse and repeat above.

I am then led over to the tech bench, where the process is repeated with a minor variation.

GG: Geek Squad guy

GG: I'm not sure what you mean. (!!!!)
D: (repeat what I said to employee)
GG: Is it memory chips you're looking for?
D: No, the processor itself.
GG: Oh. I don't think we carry that.
D: Okay, thank you for your help anyway.

My dad said that while I could probably apply for a job in that department, I would likely be A) overqualified and/or B) relegated to phone support. I have yet to see a female on the tech bench there.

Last edited:
Yea they really rip you off, dont think you're just going to drop by and pick up a cheap usb cable.....or any other cable.
You can buy a dozen online for what you will pay for one in some stores.

God, I'm so sad that I missed this thread when it first started out. I actually work at one of those computer retail stores that you're talking about - not the Best Buys or CompUSA's or **** like that, but a more computer-centric retail chain. I work for a chain called PC Club. I've heard of some stories like that from customers and it makes even me laugh, however, I would never stoop so low to do things like that. In fact, when I get people in that are serious about cooling, I will tell them that we don't have anything like what they want and will usually suggest a thermalright cooler, a fan, and then send them off with a few websites (like frozen CPU, heatsink factory, etc.) that they can find these solutions at.
If someone came in and asked me for a sound card that was SLI capable and had 16 vertex pipelines, oh man, that would be a story for days. I probably wouldn't correct them and tell them they needed a video card instead, and then spread that to as many people as I possibly could - making fun of them in the process of course :).
What's almost as entertaining as the sales people that know nothing and spew bull**** are the customers that think they know a ton about what they're talking about (albeit more than you, when you know 15x more than they do) and they try to tell you you're wrong. My favorite thing is to explain exactly why they're wrong and then watch the expression on their face as their brain, slowly, tries to comprehend what I just said. At that point they repeat why they're right, and then use the "I've been building computers for *insert some arbitrary number* years" - which, as everyone knows, automatically makes them the equivalent of Gordon Moore (whom they've never heard of :)).
As for the comment about Elitism - That is the biggest problem and why these kinds of things happen. First off, it's just plain wrong - to deliberately squeeze money from people by taking advantage of their being naive - and secondly, it hurts the well-being of the industry and the market in the long run. If you allow people to just not know anything, then you're as much of a problem as the problem you're solving. Customer ignorance is the number one reason we have companies like Thermaltake, emachines, HP, and countless other companies that consistently release pure **** into the market that is backed by great marketing so they sell to all the n00bs out there. For your own sake, stop Elitism and help educate people about computers.

I work in retail myself, part time.

There are problems when coming across to customers:

1. Thoughoughly explain it to them, and give them websites of PC shops that will get them the best stuff.

They get confused, overwhelmed with information and need to walk out the shop to clear thier head, finally deciding that maybe this wasnt such a good idea afterall.

Give them too much help: You'll probably end up buying a product that isn't what they need. For example -- a 250w PSU will run a P4 system, i've examined a P4 2.8 533/512RAM/9800Pro with a 250w PSU and it was fine...

So what i am saying is it is very difficult to help customers. If i give them all the information and help i want to give them, they are overwhelmed. Too little and they end up with the wrong product.

This is a mixed electrical products store, and no one makes up stuff like that.

However, going to my local PC warehouse store is a very different matter.

Tom: "I was wondering if you have any single heatsinks?"

Bubbles: "... ...Uhm, our heatsink section is over there" *Points*

Tom: (( Thinks: Yes i KNOW i have just been there... i was hoping you could check your stock )) *Walks out of shop*

Not everyone can be as inlightened. I cant stand people who BLATENTLY sell you too expensive/unneccesary products.

We sell Monster Cables in our stock, as well as the bog standard SCART's. I have a commision incentive to sell the Monster Cables -- but i always ask the customer on thier current kit. I only suggest Monster Cables for people with 28" or bigger linked up to a DVD or Digital Reciever. Anything smaller/VHS just doesnt need the quality.

And yes the cables to have a far better signal.

That post was kind of all over the place, sorry -- its late. Disect and reassemble as your wish.

~t0m

Ok folks, i'm glad we're all so well educated that we laugh and have our joke, but lets look at this from the corporate/capitalist standpoint.

1. These retail folks aren't paid enough. 90%, no more like 99% of the people they sell stuff to will swallow every line. A knowledgeable shopper is a definitely minority. You/WE are a very very very small minority.

2. If you were a smart knowledgeable bottom-rung sales guy, you are going to be 1) promoted very quickly given you have additional marketable skills (like management knowledge) or 2) you are quickly going to become the center of jealousy and hatred from your less-knowledgeable co-workers/mangers who are then going to make your life miserable and eventually get you to quit. The latter option would be a more likely scenario.

3. Go work at corporate - you will learn quickly that intelligence and knowledge is a very very very small requirement to upward mobility and success. A fast talking, make-the-sale, dumbass who can close the sale will always be more valuable to a company than a know-it-all.

4. For the knowledgeable folks who have worked at these retail stores - did your superior knowledge get you a higher pay? Better commision? How many of you guys ended up at department managers? Store managers?

Welcome to the reality of the American Corporate Hustle.

Wow, mfjonny, you hit it right on the nose :). Thankfully, I have a very appreciative manager who knows how advantageous it is to have someone that knows what they're talking about on their staff. As far as pay and comission goes - if you ever consider a job at PC Club, steer clear. One of the works companies to work for if you're trying to actually make money to go to a place called college. No way, you'll never do it. The hourly wages are insufficient and the comission system is setup so that's it's nearly impossible to get it. I'm currently searching for a new job that pays better right now - I've worked for this company for over 1.5 years. My GF got out, now it's my turn.

This is what I call: PC Elitism

Think about it. There are only a select few of us who know how to say...diagnose and solve a PC problem for as cheap as possible. There are only a select few of us who could configure and build a PC based on budget and possible uses.

Which is why I really don't tell my friends what I'm doing when I'm fixing their computer, usually because I like getting paid for what I do. If people can't solve a problem themselves, they're likely to call someone in.

Thus, keep PC use elite. An abacus requires no power, usually works, and can't get "hacked".

Also, make sure your "subjects" are as clueless as possible. Make sure that they think their "perfectly fine" behavior (Kazaa, pr0n, etc.) is safe for their computer, but hackers are their main threat. Then make sure every time they call you back, tell em the hackers got em again. Simple as that.

Easy money.

I wonder if my dad will accept this as our "Business strategy"

Doubt it :(.

honostly, went to a large electronic store, you know, the kind w/ everything...place that prides itself w/ their knowledgeable staff
i say, "Hey, i'm doing a vcore mod on my a7n8x dlx 2.0, and I need some SMD grabbers, where can I find them?"

so 10 minutes l8r, I found them on my own

Molester said:
honostly, went to a large electronic store, you know, the kind w/ everything...place that prides itself w/ their knowledgeable staff
i say, "Hey, i'm doing a vcore mod on my a7n8x dlx 2.0, and I need some SMD grabbers, where can I find them?"

so 10 minutes l8r, I found them on my own
I bought my SMD grabbers online. great tools, helped me do my vcore mod nicely

LMAO this is one funny thread. Jas you are killing me. I work in a very technical field myself (Industrial Automation, AKA Industrial Robotics) I am always getting some salesman in their telling me about some new sensor, or Servo Motor, or whatever. The engineers that are in sales are not too bad and can usually answer my questions. Most of the time I get some salesman that doesn't know jack about what he/she is selling and because of just that reason I will probably never buy it. But at least I get a free lunch out of the deal. LOL

Back in 98 I received my A+ certification. I took the test with 7 other guys who were all employed as Tech's at the time at various shops around town. Well, everyone of them failed the test the first time around ... I think it was about $250 back then too? Anyway, I ran into one of these guys working at a laptop repair shop and he passed the second time around. How??? He said he grabbed most of the questions from the web. I was pissed after hearing that ... I wonder just how many of these so called Certified Tech's get that way because of the web and not knowledge? I also hear that many of these "fly by night" schools that promise you that you will pass the A+ the 1st time do nothing more than drill you with the questions that make up the exam? There's no training at all to speak of. Also, just because there is a sign up stating A+ Tech's on duty does not mean that your speaking to one. The one A+ guy is probably out back fixing equipment. All these Store Rep's talking ... crap (for lack of a better word) and pretending to know "what is what" do nothing but hurt the few guys out there that Do know what they are doing and bust their butts daily helping people.

GUNNaH
PS: We're lucky to have the OC Forum where we can ask about the areas we need help in without worrying about rude, arrogant replies ... I'm just now diving into water cooling and everyone has been great to me. Thanks all.

Back