• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beware the "tech guy" at your local comp store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As funny as this thread is, it seems to happen everywhere. I was in Future Shop last week looking at LCD's and headphones, I couldn't find what I wanted so I was heading out, my GF stopped me to look at an Acrylic Case they had set up on the PC counter, Personally I don't like them, (too hard to keep clean). Well instantly one of the vultures jumped on her, telling her how amazing it was and the "blue" acrylic was such a nice feature and was stronger than clear. the case had 6 LED fans 4 or 5 CCFL's and a nice PSU, lighted as well. I asked the guy how much it was and he said he'd be right back, as we're standing there, my GF starts on me, telling me how much she likes it etc...

The salesman comes back and says he'll have to get another guy to find the box, as it was a display. When the other guy came I asked if they would open it to see the construction for strength and such, he did so and I noticed a film on the panels, I started to peel it off, (it was the protective coating that ships with acrylic sheets).

Well the original guy seemed dumbfounded that his extra strong acrylic schpeel ceased there. Techie #2 then tells me it's $199, really in town here that's not bad for all that was in it. I asked if it came pre assembled and he said yes, he then told me $199 was for the case ONLY, no lights fans PSU etc... I said that's not much of a deal, #2 says "you're right, that's crappy" real words. #1 is walking away to doupe some other customer at this point.

So to make a long story short, I'm now working on my own acrylic case for the GF, (last time I take her to Future Shop).

bah ive never even heard of future shop where i live the closest thing we have to a computer store is staples :rolleyes:

funny thing is i have to drive 45minutes to be treated this badly.

Lol I have seen some dumb tech people its just like when you go into a large petstore like petsmart some of the people in there are dumb. I was in a Futurshop a while back when I bought my 9800pro and I was surprized that he new almost every thing including how many pipes and vertex shaders they all have the guy he was talking to was like WTF and asked him what each one was and did and he gave the right answer.

hkh said:
Lol I have seen some dumb tech people its just like when you go into a large petstore like petsmart some of the people in there are dumb. I was in a Futurshop a while back when I bought my 9800pro and I was surprized that he new almost every thing including how many pipes and vertex shaders they all have the guy he was talking to was like WTF and asked him what each one was and did and he gave the right answer.

Well you heard of the rule? He was obviously the exception.

Knowledge is all relative. Like for instance, I know very little about cars. I'm not about to start telling people how to fix their car. Building PC's that I know. Unix, that I know, Oracle, that I know. Stick me on a Mac and you may was well have sat a retarded monkey in front of it.

but liek it has been said over and over again in this thread, it's all about getting the sales. And lets face it, the less a consumer knows about a product, the easier it is to sell it to them.

It's perfectly fine to buy something you don't need, simply because you want it, but you SHOULD at least know why you want it. In the case of Bubbles the Tech Monkey, it's obvious he was trying to eithe rpush specific merchandise, or simply had no clue.

That this is a great thread LOL.

I use to work at Best Buy, and they stuck me back in digital camera department (whoopie) after 3 months I was moved up to registers. It was a shame that I had more knew more then the people in the computer department (well 1 was pretty close to my lvl out of 20 people!). Usually if someone had picked up a computer or computer type item I asked them questions about it, just to make sure what they where getting. Kicker in the long run was customers that returned to get more items for the computer requested me, your local cashier.

Sorry to say but you know when somethings wrong with a cashier knowing more then a computer department personnel.

Yeah :D
It totally kills confidency about personel qualifications with personel and buyers (it's probably not in English, but I think you can understand).

I too am currently a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee, and am somewhat dissappointed about the actual technical knowledge of some of the other technicians. Given, they are good guys back there, and they have more knowlegde than most certified personel, but because of places like ocforums and other overclocking interests, I have found that there is alot more that I know than most of them.

My supervisior whom is basically the head tech was tryin to tell me that PC2700 was not the same thing as DDR333 memory.. So I grabbed a box of memory from kingston, and pointed out, PC2700 IS 333 MHZ! He just agreed without many words and carried on doing what he was doing.

Yea, I may not always be able to make the best sales for the company, but I feel that I am able to inform the customer of the best solution for what they are willing to spend. Given most are rather computer illerate, I still ask what they plan on using the system for and base my suggestions around THEIR needs.

I did have a gentleman come in who suprised me quite a bit. He knew what he wanted, knew the SATA specs vs IDE and so forth, and even knew about Presscot and Northwood processors. I was almost speechless. We were talking about a few things here and there about possible upgrades and what not, and i was almost wondering if this guy was a corporate guy checkin on the knowledge of the sales guys. But I clarified a few things for him, and told him about WD Raptor HDD's, and was quite suprised that he knew so much. A rare and uncommon idea to have a technically inclined customer, but pleasing nonetheless. :D

Sentential said:
Yea tell me about it. You'd think they'd hire me but noooooooo. Im stuck working at a damn grocery store :-/

Yeah, places like that are just lucky to get someone qualified by chance. I was offered a job at Best Buy a year ago (unfortunately, couldn't commit at the time), and all they really asked me was about my last job briefly and basically handed it to me 2 minutes into an interview.

Maybe there should at least be like a test/quiz you have to take to get hired.

This is a funny thread.
I used to work at one of those CrapUSA stores. Now I work in the majors sales dept at Costco... great job btw. We sell the tv's, appliances, pc's, cameras, etc. the "high end stuff." Anyway, take it from me on the inside, its no wonder these young'uns (I'm 20 :p ) don't know their crap, most companies do diddly for training. Plus the fact that the sales reps/tech monkeys who do know something receive only a :shrug: from their managers. I guess I'm a nerd who is pretty good at sales, I think I've had some ppl come in to my work from the forums, throwing out those dvd SLi questions. I have to laugh at those ones.
But there's a reason why companies don't put money into tech training and instead preach referring prospective buyers to manuals, internet, etc.. because 99% of the customers who buy stuff DON'T know diddly about what they're buying (i.e. the new owner of the aquaflush 9000 evaporative cooling system). So little knowledge suffices for the vast majority. Its sad but true.
Costco (who patented the Xtr33m l0w 0v3rhead system) doesn't give commissions, and I'm glad. In fact, I don't care if I make a sale or not, neither does my boss really. I'm primarily there to merchandise the stuff so it sells itself :rolleyes: . If our department is clean and well stocked I get a pat on the back. But that's wholesale for ya. Case in point, I have fun at my job because I deal with this stuff all day, and can use my passionately acquired tech knowledge to help inform people about pretty much all they can throw at me. I don't know why its so difficult for some salespeople to just say "I don't know, actually." Seems like customers respect truth than some fed line of BS. $.02 deposited

ya that is why I really dont like to purchase from comp usa I always feel that they are just trying to make a buck. Besides when I go there I mostly go there to see what is there I buy my stuff off of the internet or ask for advise on these forums. (Best idea yet :attn: :) :cool: )

Yep, what he said. You won't catch me in a compusa (or comp-rip-you-off-usa, as I think of it) unless i'm there buying parts I need *right now* for a client. All internet e-tailers for my pc, thanks :)

By the way, great original story, reminds me of some of the morons i've heard "helping" customers out (or god forbid, trying to tell me something!)

Its been a while since i've read the forums, its good to be back.

sunrunner20 said:
I don't drink, mainly becuase rootbeer tastes much better imho...
Amen brother.

:Sigh: I'm gonna need a new job soon and I was hoping bestbuy or circuit city would be good but it looks like another brainless job. :shrug: I also don't understand how you can buy a big ticket item like a TV or a computer without doing some research. I mean, it's one thing if your tech friend (aka. a member of OC forums) reccomends something to your non tech friend but it's another for them to buy say... a television or a computer based on the guy working the counter's suggestion. He's only getting paid $8-9.

(note**only read 1st page)

Don't know if it's only me.. But does it seem like as soon as people know that you know about computers, they ask you about them, and try to talk with you.

My dads friend was trying to tell me his 5200 that he bought, was the best thing on the market. Mind you, this was 2 weeks ago. And he always asks how much RAM my computer has, and tells me I only need 256.

ghettocomp said:
....I went to Frys Elextronics a few days ago to find a power button for this project. Listened for almost 15 minutes to the Litany of one of the floor sales? persons telling someone all about why he should buy this new CPU (was actually talking about an entire system-one of the display computers, 128MB RAM, 80GB HD, DVD Romram (Huh?!?), Now I know I accidentally walked into something again.......
^^from another thread of mine^^

and I thought all the Techs at Frys were supposed to be certified.....

Most of my friends and relatives usually ask me for advices rather than depend on salesdrone. Anyhow I did run into a dumb drone when I was looking at the price of the RAM one wanted to know if I needed any help. I said I was looking to upgrade my computer's memory. He hasked what PC I had, I said a piece of HP, a piece of Compaq, a piece of Dell, a piece of Packard Bell (yes, I do have something from ancient PB's a power cord :p) and mostly homebuilt the rest.

Long story short, they didn't have any 1GB sticks, the salesdrone suggested I use 2x 512MB since they didn't carry 1GB sticks but I pointed out I have 3x 512MB and no more slots left. I wish I had my camera for that face he displayed.

(PS the memory sticks I was looking for were actually PC133 for my ancient 1.2GHz AMD backup PC, it had a measly 384MB RAM but after seeing the price, even eBay and seller's eFlated s&h charge are cheaper!)

Back