• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-6, Is it Worth It?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did I miss something or was that link to $290 for a single 512 stick of BH-5? Things sure have gotten out of whack! I have 2 unopended dual packs of 2 x 256 of the Kingston HyperX PC3200 (Non "A") which have the "WinBond" of the label. I've been saving these for a "Special Project", but I might just have to put these up for sale at those kind of prices. Damn these prices are getting out of sight.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether DDR will drop once mainstream goes to DDR2, or do you think that it will stay high due to supply and demand? What's there going to be more of...demand or supply?

Reefa_Madness said:

Did I miss something or was that link to $290 for a single 512 stick of BH-5? Things sure have gotten out of whack!

Nah, the currency conversion came out to $250 and as I said, waiting ten minutes it would have gone down to $230. If my filter is what I could have paid six months ago then I just wasted lots of money. If my filter is what I did last night, then I got a deal.

In fact, my ebay history has turned my handle into a verb around here (doing a Malpine) for all the auction pouncing that I have done in the past. So yah, that was a fair amount of cash but now the game is to find an unlocked Barton for $10. They are out there if you know how to manage ebay for the resource that it can be.

Sometimes an auction just somehow “gets missed” by the ebay community. Those are my favorites. What I do is find one that is going to end in the next few hours and only has one or two bids. That certainly does not happen all the time but it happens often enough. When it gets close enough to the end I get my bid ready but I do not make the final mouse click until like ten seconds before the auction closes (it will be a proxy bid for a pittance above the current price). Then the ebay proxy server does it's magic and whoever is ahead a few seconds later wins. Fairly often there are other people trying to do the same thing and I end up paying $10 over the last price that I saw on a proxy bid that could well have gone to $25. Even so, I rarely have to pay more than half price for anything.

You can “do a Malpine” too and get great prices on ebay yourself. However, as I said above, I am stalking for a $10 unlocked Barton. If you see one of those in the next few days I would appreciate it if you left that one for me.

it was 230$ right now, for 512. making it 460$ for 1gig of ram...

I think one of us is confused here. but as Ive seen BH5 go for 400 a gig, your BH5 is going for 460 a gig. I wouldnt call that a good deal at all. either way.

i think there are 3 reasons for the absurdly priced bh5/6 and the quickly riseing prices on others
1 no more bh5/6 so whats left is gonna go to the highest bidder.
2. big memory manufacturer's are gearing up for ddr2 and there is still a strong demand for all types of ddr1
3. the early ddr2 533 has really hi cas settings, so till it gets alot faster most guys are probably gonna keep what they have. so the big memory manufacturer's arent going to allow ddr2 to cost more than ddr1

Back