• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
jpersinger said:
I couldn't resist...I ordered a 148 retail from newegg. I will report stepping this week; oc results next week or possibly even later as finals week is approaching at OSU.

How good does your 3200 overclock?
Any chance you may sell it ?

I run daily at 2.8 gHz 1.48 V - 1.50 V; max load temp reported as less than 38 C. I can get 1M up to 2.93 gHz...however I could not get 2.9 stable regardless of voltage. It might hit the classifieds...it depends on how my 148 does. I'm sure it has more in it as well...this is my first build and I am sure a more skilled user could do better.

couldn't wait, ordered a 148 and the ASrock dual.

only need to do the CPU volt mod, conductive pen will do, the new GSkill FF stuffs i got runs very high insane FSB's @only 2.6v, plus one of the tweaker bios's from techpowerup to unlock the 275 upper limit barrier.

had to go this way, can't afford new vid card too, had about $3000 in unexpected expenses recently.

couldn't resist.............

gotta see what all the talk is about..............

baldy :)

bldegle2 said:
couldn't wait, ordered a 148 and the ASrock dual.

only need to do the CPU volt mod, conductive pen will do, the new GSkill FF stuffs i got runs very high insane FSB's @only 2.6v, plus one of the tweaker bios's from techpowerup to unlock the 275 upper limit barrier.

had to go this way, can't afford new vid card too, had about $3000 in unexpected expenses recently.

couldn't resist.............

gotta see what all the talk is about..............

baldy :)

I'd be real interested in hearing how that combo works out for you. That board, now that there are mods and some performance BIOS(s) for it, intrigues me.

Update:

The 144/146 are completely unavailable from any of the distributors we use. Some have stopped listing them, others have ETA's that are far off. So, these have either stopped shipping completely, or may not resume again for a few months.

Distributor 1: Out of stock, forecasting January 20th as the next possible ship date. We have 50 144's and 75 146's orderd from there, and we're first in line.

Distributor 2: Out of stock, still showing 11/14 as the ship date. 50 146's ordered. We're second in line, behind someone who ordered 4.

Distributor 3: Out of stock, clamining 12/7 as a ship date, I called the sales team and they say they have no idea what's going on. We ordered 75 146's, we're in line behind someone who ordered 7 I believe.

Distributor 4: Out of stock, claming no future ship date or incoming orders. Our rep still put us down for 40 more 146's to be safe, on the offside they show up.

So as it stands, they are unavailable at any of the distributors we work with. Half are clamining no future ship date, or one in the far future, a 3rd has a ship date that's almost 10 days old, and the 4th is claiming end of the month/early next month. Of course, I've learned by now to completely disregard the ETA's from them, since they are wrong 95% of the time. My guess: We'll be lucky if we see any new shipments before January.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll show up sooner, but I'm not going to hold my breath :)

Thanks for the update TankGuys. I was a bit dissapointed reading this thread and seeing how much flack you caught for trying to be honest and help us out. At any rate, I'd like to know if and when you do get any 146's, as I'd like to try one of them in my box. I'm in no hurry at all. January or later would be perfectly acceptable to me. :)

Thanks again man!

Jason.

Reefa_Madness said:
I'd be real interested in hearing how that combo works out for you. That board, now that there are mods and some performance BIOS(s) for it, intrigues me.
You will hear from me, too. I ordered a 148 and an Asrock 939Dual over the weekend and they're on the way.

Glad I got mine when I did... hopefully they won't pull the plug on this. Could be just a supply and demand issue. They didn't really pull the plug on the mobile xps so hopefully they won't do it here either.

JKeef! Are those the Blue Angels in your Avatar? Those guys rock! They come to my home town every year for a show in the summer. Very cool!

TankGuys said:
Update:

The 144/146 are completely unavailable from any of the distributors we use. Some have stopped listing them, others have ETA's that are far off. So, these have either stopped shipping completely, or may not resume again for a few months.

Distributor 1: Out of stock, forecasting January 20th as the next possible ship date. We have 50 144's and 75 146's orderd from there, and we're first in line.

Distributor 2: Out of stock, still showing 11/14 as the ship date. 50 146's ordered. We're second in line, behind someone who ordered 4.

Distributor 3: Out of stock, clamining 12/7 as a ship date, I called the sales team and they say they have no idea what's going on. We ordered 75 146's, we're in line behind someone who ordered 7 I believe.

Distributor 4: Out of stock, claming no future ship date or incoming orders. Our rep still put us down for 40 more 146's to be safe, on the offside they show up.

So as it stands, they are unavailable at any of the distributors we work with. Half are clamining no future ship date, or one in the far future, a 3rd has a ship date that's almost 10 days old, and the 4th is claiming end of the month/early next month. Of course, I've learned by now to completely disregard the ETA's from them, since they are wrong 95% of the time. My guess: We'll be lucky if we see any new shipments before January.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll show up sooner, but I'm not going to hold my breath :)

So does this mean that the 148 and up are still begin shipped? also, isf i buy a 148 from you can you give me a specific stepping?

Pirate_Freder said:
So does this mean that the 148 and up are still begin shipped? also, isf i buy a 148 from you can you give me a specific stepping?
Friendly prodding reminder: Trading is prohibited outside of the Classifieds ;)

TankGuys said:
Hrm, could be a problem at one of AMD's fabs, too. ETA's from vendors and distributors are always carefully constructed lies; I'm glad we agree on that.

Oh, and those *are* the Blue Angels in JKeef's avatar. Whenever they come out to the local airshow (Point Mugu NAWS), without fail, it is zero-zero, foggy, and rainy... :(

Pirate_Freder said:

No 148's available anywhere either... I didn't list because frankly, we've had very little interest in them compared to the 144/146's.

Captain Newbie said:
Hrm, could be a problem at one of AMD's fabs, too. ETA's from vendors and distributors are always carefully constructed lies; I'm glad we agree on that.

Yea Distributor ETAs are generally a joke. We get a lot of customers who beg for ETA's, but I don't even bother to give them until I've got shipments ON THE WAY :) Otherwise, it's a waste of time for everyone, because I just keep giving new dates. Sometimes they ship sooner, sometimes later... it's a real pain.

FAB problems are entirely posssible too. Then again, there is a the talk of AMD doing some business with Dell now and such, so it might be odd of them to take on a huge new client while having problems. Then again, it seems equally odd that they'd stop shipping these optys, so who knows? :shrug:

Why just the 144, 146's? Is there something uberly special about them? Or is that just what's been selling? Just wondering. I found 1 Website that Had 146's in. A Retail Version and an OEM Version. The Retail Version though it Says "only 1 per order". So I don't know. I just figured I'd see if anyone knows why specifically the 144's and 6's.

Back