• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
stereo555 said:
[reposted due to post deleted]

Seems Dreamhardware may have a few 146's instock .

I did a pre-order about 10-14 days ago with the due date pushed back to today (11/23/05) . Well I checked my order today and it shipped out on the 11/18th and will arrive sometime today :D .
Price for the retail 146 = $152.39+ship :santa:
It says OOS at the moment , but Id bet they have some instock as my order said the same a few days ago . Seems to be a worth a shot at a great price . LINKY .

Will post my stepping later today . ;)

pre-ordering now ;)

Id have my 148 now if stupid Fedex would deliver when there is no one was home. Now I gotta go all the way down to Linthicum to pick it up at 6 :( 3hrs and 10 minutes from now.

Last edited:
Crispy said:
IS Monarch Really that bad? I ordered a 146 Monday after 2pm for $208 shipped and It arrived at my door at Noon today. So I don't think that's bad, but I honestly don't know how the company works. I'm just glad I got mine and THEN read your post. Otherwise I might be freaking out. lol.
No, Monarch is not bad. Sometimes they take a while to ship things and they are slow responding to rma requests, but they are reputable and always work things out. They may not be the best, if the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy there.

[UPDATE]

OK ... just recieved my retail 146 from Dreamhardware and the stepping is : CAB2E 0540FPMW

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with one of my distributor reps, and he said he spoke with an AMD field rep about the 1XX opterons.

He said the AMD guy told him that there will indeed be no more shipments through retailers or distributors. Only full systems integrators will get them from now on, for us in pre-built high end server configurations.

The reasoning, so the story goes, is that AMD is pushing for the deliniation between product lines, and they want A64's filling the desktop role, and Opterons filling the server role, PERIOD. Thus, they will only ship to parties who plan to build the opterons into actual servers.

While this still confuses me (i.e. if you want them as servers, why release on the 939 platform?) it's the best information I have up to this point, and does explain why *none* of the distributors have anymore of these, and why thier previously scheduled shipments have failed to appear.

I still can't say for absolute sure that this is definitely going to happen, but all signs are pointing that way now. I'll keep you guys up to date when/if I hear more as well.

I recieve mine today also. Is this a good one?
CABYE 0540FPMW
Or any links with info on this stepping would be nice.
Thank you much

TankGuys said:
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with one of my distributor reps, and he said he spoke with an AMD field rep about the 1XX opterons.

He said the AMD guy told him that there will indeed be no more shipments through retailers or distributors. Only full systems integrators will get them from now on, for us in pre-built high end server configurations.

The reasoning, so the story goes, is that AMD is pushing for the deliniation between product lines, and they want A64's filling the desktop role, and Opterons filling the server role, PERIOD. Thus, they will only ship to parties who plan to build the opterons into actual servers.

While this still confuses me (i.e. if you want them as servers, why release on the 939 platform?) it's the best information I have up to this point, and does explain why *none* of the distributors have anymore of these, and why thier previously scheduled shipments have failed to appear.

I still can't say for absolute sure that this is definitely going to happen, but all signs are pointing that way now. I'll keep you guys up to date when/if I hear more as well.

Frig... why couldn't they have said that AFTER a shipment made it to canada.

Crispy said:
I recieve mine today also. Is this a good one?
CABYE 0540FPMW
Or any links with info on this stepping would be nice.
Thank you much

thats the same as my 146
it does 2.7 on stock volts and 3.0 easily

Lucky people with their Opterons...second I wanna upgrade & fan they are all gone /cry

X2 3800+ won't be to bad...I hope.

Alot of E-Tailers are notorious for saying that they have an item in stock and they don't.
For instance, if I make a purchase from an online store such as Newegg showing them 'instock' and I receive an email later stating that they no longer have it in stock and will ship as soon as they do. Does this mean that I'm not getting one since AMD is no longer shipping them?

Nexus Realized said:
Alot of E-Tailers are notorious for saying that they have an item in stock and they don't.
For instance, if I make a purchase from an online store such as Newegg showing them 'instock' and I receive an email later stating that they no longer have it in stock and will ship as soon as they do. Does this mean that I'm not getting one since AMD is no longer shipping them?

Not necessarily.

Some stores may still have some residual stock, and there are still a few being shipped from existing distributor stock (I, for example, got the last 3 144's, 11 146's, and 2 148's I could find to fill existing orders) but there won't be any "Fresh" shipments most likely. Some stores will still have some available for a bit, but once they sell out, the'll be out. After that, it's anyone's guess when/if they will be around again.

EDIT: On second thought, I can still find a few 175's available, but I think that's just because they are more expensive and haven't sold as well, so there is still more remaining.

TankGuys said:
EDIT: On second thought, I can still find a few 175's available, but I think that's just because they are more expensive and haven't sold as well, so there is still more remaining.
Is that common for all of the dual cores? Can you still find the 165's? 170's?

Nathan0490 said:
Just ordered my 146, $208.43 shipped. Should i have gotten the 148 for $25 more or is this one better?

Thanks.
I'd say you should be good to go with the 146 ;)

Well I won't allow my self to panic and impulse buy a dual core CPU just because AMD is pulling some switch and bait. When I'm ready next year, I'll decide on the best bang for the buck deal going then. Maybe Intel will be back in the game ;)

Captain Newbie said:
Thus the contradiction.

If this person really is a dealer or distributor of some sort, then he's sunk himself by divulging information that AMD considers priveleged. (There has been no AMD press release on this topic as of the time of this post.) The same deal goes for if he's heard it from sources 'inside'.

I smell something bad. Not even that bastion of journalistic malpractice The Inquirer has anything on this.

This is nothing but speculative flummery at the moment.
Gee, looks like he was right eh Capt....

I truly feel sorry for those that want one but can't get one. These are really awsome chips.

Mine is stable (24hr prime) 2.8GHz on Stock voltage. If I had a better motherboard and cooling
I think I could hit 3.0 but I am still very happy with what I got.

Back