• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigger is Better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mayagrafix

I would like to upgrade the processor on a vanilla Dell 530. it has an LGA 775 mobo and a Intel P31 chipset. Does anyone have clue as to which is the fastest processor it can handle?

Here are the specs:
Mainboard : Dell 0RY007 LGA 775 "Socket T"
Chipset : Intel P31/P35
Intel Pentium E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Thanks!:beer:

It should take any 65nm Core 2 with no problem, but it may need a BIOS update to take 45nm chips.

Thanks for the info, amigos. The Quad-core Q6600 is a real temptation and definitely on the short list. :0

Thanks again!

Q6600 isn't that hot unless you raise the voltage and try to OC the snot out of it.

I run mine @3GHz 24/7/52 under 100% FAH load and with a TR SI-128 cooler and Nexus 120mm fan, it runs quietly at ~50°C in the hottest part of summer.

If you don't push it (Dells don't OC or allow vcore adjustments) you should be fine with the stock OEM Intel heatsink.

Going to quad was not my first choice given that were talking about a vanilla Dell box. But after researching the Q6600 it doesn't seem to far fetched after all. Lookie here:

Intelcomparison.jpg

With the quad running higher Max TDP.

It says "embedded" on the 2160. The only thing I've ever seen embedded mean is a CPU integrated into the mainboard (non-upgradable). Are you sure your CPU can be removed?

The Q6600 also has a faster front side bus, which tends to be a problem for upgrades, though I would imagine that the P31/P35 chipset wouldn't have a problem with it as long as there's a newer BIOS out.

It says "embedded" on the 2160. The only thing I've ever seen embedded mean is a CPU integrated into the mainboard (non-upgradable). Are you sure your CPU can be removed?

MMmmm... good point. The thing is still cherry, Ill pop her open and have a good look :rolleyes:

You never know what to expect from these OEM people!

The Q6600 also has a faster front side bus, which tends to be a problem for upgrades, though I would imagine that the P31/P35 chipset wouldn't have a problem with it as long as there's a newer BIOS out.

Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering about that myself but decided to cross that bridge when the time came. However, I better ask around and be prepared. Haven't seen any BIOS updates on the Dell site since I got this sucker in January. :eek:

I suppose in the worst case scenario I could down throttle the Quad and get some cooling relief that way, but that kinda defeats the whole idea of upgrading!

Last edited:
If you got it in January, it's probably compatible. You should open it up and take a look around - find out what model the motherboard is. It's likely a board from Intel. That'll let you know what CPUs the motherboard will take, and you'll probably be able to get a BIOS update from elsewhere.

I wouldn't use Dell as a source of updates...they're going to lag about 6-12 months behind the latest.

If the board will only run at 800MHz (I would guess 1066 would be fine) you'd either downclock the Q6600 by 25% or it wouldn't run at all. Like you said, it wouldn't be worth it.

You might also consider a motherboard upgrade. My E2160 goes a bit above 3.0GHz with stock volts.

If you got it in January, it's probably compatible. You should open it up and take a look around - find out what model the motherboard is. It's likely a board from Intel. That'll let you know what CPUs the motherboard will take, and you'll probably be able to get a BIOS update from elsewhere.

Not going to work - Dell manufactures their own motherboards.

Not going to work - Dell manufactures their own motherboards.

No they don't. Dell has their logos placed on motherboards from other manufacturers. AFAIK, they use mostly Foxconn recently. They've used other brands in the past, also. I had a Pentium 3 Dimesion system with an MSI board in it a few years ago.

No they don't. Dell has their logos placed on motherboards from other manufacturers. AFAIK, they use mostly Foxconn recently. They've used other brands in the past, also. I had a Pentium 3 Dimesion system with an MSI board in it a few years ago.

MSI? That's what eMachines has been using in socket A systems, thus not proprietary like my Compaq DeskPro 386 was, which apparently had a proprietary RAM card! O_O

If i remember correctly foxconn makes the mobos for dell, but they are a dell specific design rather then a standard design rebadged.

I found this thread at the Dell Community site and as luck would have it, there is a snag in the Quad upgrade solution.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19270144.aspx

Here is the main problem:
You need to check if you have a Foxconn G33M02 [Dell P/N 0RY007],motherboard, as this will only support Dual Core processors, if you have a Foxconn G33M03 [Dell P/N 0FM586] motherboard, then this will support both Quad Core and Dual Core processors.

Dual Core processors came with a 300w power supply and the Quad core a 350W power supply.

And here is the result: (the poster had the right model Mobo)
Ok...installed the Quad chip. Temp reading (under load) are Core 0 = 65C, Core 1= 56C, Core 3 and 4=55C. Everything hovers around 50C under no load. All appears to be fairly expected reading. This is with the stock JY167 heatsink.

So I guess I will have to look for a Dual Core solution. Anyway it was sweet for a while to consider turning a cheap vanilla Dell Inspiron into a quad breathing dragon.

Thanks to all for your help and input, I learned a lot from your input.

Back