• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios update 890FXA-GD70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

Hey guys, so I have a MSI 890fxa-gd70 with 1055t overclocked at 4.0ghz 24/7 stabled.

I need your help guys. Since, this forum is the best to seek advise.
Since this is the forum who guided me all the way to get my 1055t at 4.0ghz step-by-step (special thanks to QuietIce).

Okay so here's what I want to accomplish:

-Install another 2 x 2GB G.skill memory so that would be 8GB total already on my rig. So I'll have all my memory slots full.

-Bios Update my motherboard. I asked at MSI forum and they said I need to restore my motherboard to default before I bios update it. (If I save the current overclock then bios update it will the overclock still be there?)

I already ordered my new video card, memory, and ssd.

*IDK if this is right guys --> First I will put the new video card in, the new ssd. Then, I would go to bios and save the current overclock and restore my motherboard to default. After that, I would put in another 2 x 2GB Memory(so all my slot would be full 8GB total)
Then, I would install OS, then after installing all the drivers, avg, updates etc. Then I would Bios Update my board. After the bios update I would go back to the bios then restore back my overclock setting? (remember when I did the overclock I only had 4GB, now I put another 4GB so 8GB now) Would that work? Is the procedures right?

Please Help :-/

Last edited:
Do bios update while you are still using pieces you KNOW work so that you can test bios settings using parts you know to be good and work. And yes it is better to flash a bios on a motherboard that is nOt overclocked. Some bios flashes overwrite settings in bios. Some bios flashes do not overwrite everything in bios. It depends. I would make sure I knew every setting I used before flashing bios. I used to take pictures of all my bios screens. Safe that way. I always clear the CmOs after a bios flash and that should clear all settings you use now. That means you need to know what your settings today are.

You need/should to purchase indentical ram to what you aleady have now; when you plan to add two sticks to two sticks you already have.

Some AMD boards like to run better with only 2 sticks of ram in the board. I said like, that does not mean you cannot run with all four ram slots full. Just when buying cheap DDR3 ram now you can get 8 gigs in two sticks for very little more than 2 sticks of 4 gig total. That way you do not have to worry about matching the ram purchased at two different times. Sell the 4 gig kit and good to go.

Do bios update while you are still using pieces you KNOW work so that you can test bios settings using parts you know to be good and work. And yes it is better to flash a bios on a motherboard that is nOt overclocked. Some bios flashes overwrite settings in bios. Some bios flashes do not overwrite everything in bios. It depends. I would make sure I knew every setting I used before flashing bios. I used to take pictures of all my bios screens. Safe that way. I always clear the CmOs after a bios flash and that should clear all settings you use now. That means you need to know what your settings today are.

You need/should to purchase indentical ram to what you aleady have now; when you plan to add two sticks to two sticks you already have.

Some AMD boards like to run better with only 2 sticks of ram in the board. I said like, that does not mean you cannot run with all four ram slots full. Just when buying cheap DDR3 ram now you can get 8 gigs in two sticks for very little more than 2 sticks of 4 gig total. That way you do not have to worry about matching the ram purchased at two different times. Sell the 4 gig kit and good to go.

Thank you for your advise sir; however, I already bought another two identical ram. Is it really that bad to run amd boards with quad channel? If it is, I would buy a 2 x 4GB for the sake of it, and just stick to dual channel.

Since if I'll be running quad channel with another identical ram, will my current overclock setting I did with my dual channel 2x2GB be compatible with this quad channel 4x2GB?

Thank you sir:salute:

I have the same board and you can save the oc profile on a flash drive, but once you flash the bios the settings wont be exactly the same, and you will most likely have to do the steps to oc again. tell ya the truth i would leave the bios and just install the new hardware and see how it runs.. so unless the board is having issues (dont fix whats not broken).

will my current overclock setting I did with my dual channel 2x2GB be compatible with this quad channel 4x2GB? = Who knows? Only testing for stability will tell for sure. Anything else is really only a 'guess'. Testing will be the actual proof of concept. Good luck to you.

I asked at MSI forum and they said I need to restore my motherboard to default before I bios update it.

That is a new one, never heard of having to do that.

I do have the same board. I have a question

I currently have this memory in my 890FXA-GD70 Board. Will my motherboard support this memory? I checked on MSI's website to check my mobo's details and it says "Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600*/1800*/2133* (OC) DRAM, 16GB Max."

The only thing that is bothering me is that my current memory is 1.5v and the other one that I will purchase is 1.65 volts. As my mobo's detail says on top will my mobo support the new memory I'm planning to purchase?

I would stick to 1.5V memory.. I'll let others chime in, but I do think you can run 1.65V in there without any issues - you might have to manually adjust the voltage though.

Last edited:
Sir, please I need an accurate answer. I just dont want to waste $70.

So I can run 1.65V in my mobo without any issues, but I have to adjust the voltages to 1.65v or 1.5v?

It should work, yes. If the board MUST run at 1.5V, then you can just turn the frequency down a few notches on the ram... but I don't think you'll have to.

IF I were purchasing ram, I would not buy 1.65V ram for 1055T cpu. IF I already had the ram from previous setup, then I might try it but to buy it today...n0.

Back