• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar mobo not running at x16

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackdragon1186

Registered
I have a Biostar TA890FXE mobo. Runs great, except I just upgraded my video card, and will not run in greater than x8 mode. I'm checking using gpu-z. Even with the stress test on, it won't move. I have tried manually changing the speed, but no dice. http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/A89FA-A3T_120601_B.zip Manual is there, if the link works. Any ideas? I have 4 PCI-E slots. According to the manual, slot 1, and 3 are x16 slots. I'm using slot 3 due to size constraints. No other video card is installed. There is another PCI-E card, but it's just a sata raid card, running in x1 mode.
2dm59hu.png.jpg

Are you experiencing any frame rate drop or lag? I'm not a gamer but I read recently it really takes a very potent video card running high res and detail to saturate even the 8x bus.

Last edited:
You'll probably need to enable the 'Gen2 High Speed Mode' option under the specific Port Features on the PCI Express Configuration screen. Then make sure the Link Width for the specific port(s) is set to x16 (the ports are called #2, 4, 9, and 11 in the BIOS, reflecting the PCI-E slots on the board).

Manual A89FA-A3T_BIOS_100318.pdf

G.P.U Mode Setting
Maxi-Energy Mode
This is the best system performance mode.

Link Width (Only for Port #02/04/11)
Options: Auto (Default) / x1 / x2 / x4 / x8 / x16

Are you experiencing any frame rate drop or lag? I'm not a gamer but I read recently it really takes a very potent video card running high res and detail to saturate even the 8x bus.
TBH, I have only ran Skyrim. I do have the extra goodies from Steam turned on, but my GTX465 ran that. Mostly, lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try another demanding game.

You'll probably need to enable the 'Gen2 High Speed Mode' option under the specific Port Features on the PCI Express Configuration screen. Then make sure the Link Width for the specific port(s) is set to x16 (the ports are called #2, 4, 9, and 11 in the BIOS, reflecting the PCI-E slots on the board).
Did that. There's even something in there specific for ATI cards. Not sure if that helped or not.

Manual A89FA-A3T_BIOS_100318.pdf

G.P.U Mode Setting
Maxi-Energy Mode
This is the best system performance mode.

Link Width (Only for Port #02/04/11)
Options: Auto (Default) / x1 / x2 / x4 / x8 / x16
And again, got it set for x16. I had it on default awhile ago, because it dynamically lowers the rate to reduce energy consumption.

This makes me wants to throw my 465 in and check, again. I have a terrible memory for some things, and I'm wondering if this would jump up correctly.:bang head

i've got that same motherboard, do you have any thing else plugged into any other pci express slots?
from what i remember its either 16x/16x on slots 1 and 3 or 8x/8x/8x/8x across all 4 is something is plugged into 2 or 4.
also i know you said you enabled gen2 but did you enable it on all of the slots and not just the one that the videocard is on.

i ran into the same problem a while ago but i cant remember for sure what it is. it'll bug me all day but if i remember what i did i'll post it.
i think it was enabling gen2 on all pci express slots weither they are being used or not.

and before you ask, no i dont have the 4pin molex pluged in on the motherboard so that shouldnt make a difference

Last edited:
Do you have some sort of multi-GPU option (SLi or Crossfire) enabled in the bios perhaps?

Thought I'd ask because I ran into a similar problem when I unknowingly had SLi enabled in my bios a while back and it was causing my link width to operate at x4 instead of x16 with a single card.

Well I fixed it, as well as fixing my gf's crossfire problem. Dust... Such a pain. Cleaned the slot out, and bam, works fine.

Gf's pc, while crossfire was running, it was showing that the primary card was only running at x2 mode. Let this be a lesson. CLEAN YOUR SLOTS! :D

Back