• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA790GXB3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
A couple of things that I noticed. First you set ACC to Enable All Cores and not Auto. Next I noticed that your CPU-NB is at 1.225, mine is at 1.17 and I had recently added a little bit of voltage to it (.05 I think so started at 1.12). Ram voltage is at 1.584 which seems real low. What ram are you using and what is its voltage spec? Could be the ram causing the problem if it is undervolted. I don't know if any of these things means anything but something to look at. Could be that it just wont unlock. Not sure if you could try and get tri-core with this board. Probably not. I didn't have to use any other BIOS than stock to unlock as well. Check your ram voltages.

Last edited:
When I tried ACC Auto it wouldn't work at all, but I can give it another go. Just looked up the RAM specs and it shows it should be 1.65 so I'll change that. OCZ Black Edition DDR3 Dual Channel.

Now it just won't boot at all with any of my settings...I can't even get it to the boot screen.

Last edited:
Unlocking the cores isn't a gaurantee, but I remember reading a review on one of the 790gx Biostar motherboards where if you did update to the latest BIOS, the chances of the ACC successfully kicking on the core fell and the author suggested you stick with the older BIOS version.

So... if you haven't done so, I'd look up the site and downgrade to the first BIOS version. See if that helps.

Well, I'll downgrade my bios and give it a go again lol. I won't kick it to the curb until I try it with a much better cooler.

Downgraded bios and no luck. I haven't even been able to get it back to the boot screen at all like before.

Have you contacted the Biostar tech support yet? I'm not sure what they will say but it can't hurt to ask. Jsut remember to go to the Taiwan site and then choose English.

One last suggestion. I do believe that your extra cores are unlocking but I think that they are not stable so that is why Windows never starts. When you go into the BIOS the second time do exactly the same thing and set ACC to All Cores Enabled. Reboot and when it first starts to boot, go back into BIOS and change the ACC to Per Core. Then set the ACC to +2% on those two extra cores. I have heard that might work to make those extra cores more stable. I don't know if you can go higher than +2% either. The idea here is that when you first boot you did get the X4 configuration to come up. Maybe with a little tweaking you can get it to go even farther.

I'm all sorts of jumbled and confused now. Doing EXACT step for step of my previous steps won't even let me get to the post screen.

I saw your video and you had gotten to the screen where it said X4 and then started to boot into Windows. Whatever Bios that you were using at that time would probably what I would try again. In the video you go back into the Bios twice. If you can get it to do the same thing again, then I am suggesting that you go back in a third time and play with Per Core ACC. That's all I got. If you can't repeat what happened then I don't know...

Yeah..I have NO idea anymore...To your last post as well, Biostar support linked me to the step by step unlocking guide then when I told them my result they told me they do not assist in unlocking cores.

Just try and remember where you were at when you posted that video, becuase when it first boots after you have set Bios to Enable All Cores it tells me that you did get the extra cores unlocked. But just because they were unlocked does not mean they were stable. My idea was that if you could replicate that situation you could go back in and play with Per Core ACC. Also maybe try and up VCore a bit and maybe CPU-NB a bit. But if you can't get it to repeat what happened in your video then I'm afraid you're stuck.

Maybe it's just time to start OC'ing that dual core.

For the time being I think I'm just gonna try to OC it. I build computers so if I purchase another processor, then I'll try to unlock her again.

Thanks for all the replies and assistance everyone!

It's been far too long since I was here last but not only did I give up on the task of unlocking cores on my AMD 555 Black Edition processor...I forgot all about core unlocking!

Anyways, while I was messing around with my new AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE processor, I remembered about unlocking cores. So, back I went to attempt an unlock of my original 555 BE and guess what? I was able to unlock a third core. I guess it had a bad core and I figured it wouldn't be core 0 or 1 as they would be the main two cores but I was wrong. The bad core was core 1. I disabled it and had the other three enabled and up the system came. Same thing if I try another combination of 3 cores. As long as core 1 is enabled it won't boot.

A year later though and I finally have something better than a dual core lol.

If anyone is interested, here is my server I built with the 1090T:

Back