• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TA890FXE cheap and awesome!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I just finished 1hr of OCCT without errors at 3720/2400/1279 (CPU, cpuNB, RAM).

Thanks QuietIce!

But why is it the RAM? :cry:
I guess I need to do an overnight stress test now to make sure it's stable.

You might even be able to go higher than 240 MHz - at least it can't hurt to try. :)

Edit
Don't give up on the RAM just yet. Concentrate on the CPU and cpuNB first, then you can drop back and see what can be done about the RAM speeds. There are still some tricks there that can be explored ... ;)

You might even be able to go higher than 240 MHz - at least it can't hurt to try. :)

Edit
Don't give up on the RAM just yet. Concentrate on the CPU and cpuNB first, then you can drop back and see what can be done about the RAM speeds. There are still some tricks there that can be explored ... ;)

I'm pretty happy with 240Mhz, it's a 20% OC but I would like to get my Ram back up too 1600.
Where should I start? :)

Also I'm looking for an OC that I can use 24/7 so I don't want to push things too hard.

Another strange thing I've noticed is when its idling the CPU multiplier drops to 4, the core voltage drops to 0.97 but when it comes back under load the core voltage only goes back up too 1.32 (stock) and not the 1.42 that I've set in the bios

Your system is downclocking itself when it is not needing to run at full you can disable it in bios if you want it to run at full speed all the time.

I've also seen some strange temps in HWMonitor, my cpu temp is always several degrees higher then my core temps and its showing my mainboard temp around 60C maxing at 71C

What type of cooler do you have on the cpu? As far as the motherboard temp I haven't been able to find the sensor that is giving this reading and others have talked about this on other motherboards as well since there is a chance that is a reading that the software spits out because there is no sensor for it to read. I tried to see if it was a Mosfet and South bridge sensor but it made no difference when I tried cooling them so I don't believe it is a true reading from anything.

What type of cooler do you have on the cpu?.

Scythe Ninja 2 RevB, with Arctic Silver 5.
I changed the Fan from the original 120mm 3pin 1000rpm to a 120mm 4pin (PWM) 1300rpm.

Disable C1E, It's under the Advanced tab then CPU configuration in bios.

I want to do this as the issue isn't with it downclocking but that the Vcore doesn't come back up too the overvolt that I set in the bios

I want to do this as the issue isn't with it downclocking but that the Vcore doesn't come back up too the overvolt that I set in the bios

Anytime you make the change in the bios you cannot figure it when adding the numbers to get a total for some reason it does not work this way with this motherboard, you will need to make a change then reboot and go back into the bios and check what the readings are under the health section to get a true reading of the voltage and temps.

If you notice under core temp it is not giving you the true reading for the voltage to the cpu but cpu-z will show the actual voltage to the cpu. Some software will not read this bios correctly.

Anytime you make the change in the bios you cannot figure it when adding the numbers to get a total for some reason it does not work this way with this motherboard, you will need to make a change then reboot and go back into the bios and check what the readings are under the health section to get a true reading of the voltage and temps.

If you notice under core temp it is not giving you the true reading for the voltage to the cpu but cpu-z will show the actual voltage to the cpu. Some software will not read this bios correctly.

Yeah, right now cpu-z is showing my Vcore at 1.32 but its 1.39 in the bios with overvolt at +0.05 also Toverclocker is showing the CPU-NB at 1.175 but it's 1.225 in the bios with a overvolt at +0.05:shrug:

CoreTemp was never meant to show the running vCore, only the BIOS CPU VID. ;) I'd guess this was to maintain it's small footprint ...

CoreTemp was never meant to show the running vCore, only the BIOS CPU VID. ;) I'd guess this was to maintain it's small footprint ...

I agree, just saying the only true reading for voltage will have to be looked at under the bios in order to know what is actually happening and to never trust software to give a true reading.

Yeah, right now cpu-z is showing my Vcore at 1.32 but its 1.39 in the bios with overvolt at +0.05 also Toverclocker is showing the CPU-NB at 1.175 but it's 1.225 in the bios with a overvolt at +0.05:shrug:

You will notice also when using over volt in the bios that it does not add up, say you have 1.35 volts then tell over volt to add 0.05 volts this should give you 1.4 volts when adding but it may only give you 1.375 or it could give you 1.425 there is no way of knowing unless you go back into the bios and check after it has been applied. It will give it and it will be stable at what it gives once it has been applied but the numbers just don't add up. Once you get it to what you want it, it will stay at that voltage.

I'm gonna log off now, but QuietIce if you have a chance to look at the shot of cpu-z I posted and give me some advice on my RAM I'd appreciate it.

I'm gonna log off now, but QuietIce if you have a chance to look at the shot of cpu-z I posted and give me some advice on my RAM I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for pointing that out - I missed the post.

Hmmm, it looks like you'll need to set 9-9-9-24 manually and make sure you're at a 2T Command Rate. Increase the RAM voltage to at least 1.70v. That's a start, so let's see if that works first.

After that there's a couple of other things you can try if your BIOS has the right options. I'll have to look over your manual to see what we have to work with ...

Hmmm, it looks like you'll need to set 9-9-9-24 manually and make sure you're at a 2T Command Rate. Increase the RAM voltage to at least 1.70v. That's a start, so let's see if that works first.

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot.:)

I tried to run Prime95 with the current OC for 8 hours but my computer entered sleep mode a couple hours in so I just turned that off.

Last edited:
Back