• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray playback with linux (either from disc directly or ripped image)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

is this possible? ive been doing a bit of reading but it seems i cant get a straight answer. i have mythbuntu 8.04 64-bit and im enjoying every minute of it. it works great as a "video jukebox" for my ripped DVD's (all 900 GB of them lol). but now that ive moved up to a 42" plasma i want to start to move to HD content. i dont have a Blu-Ray player, so i was thinking of getting a blu-ray drive so that i could just play them back.

from what ive been seeing, playing them back directly from the disc wont work yet. however using the dd command one is able to make an .iso file out of the entire disc. GREAT! id rather have it on my HDD anyway so that its easier to access from my couch (its too much work getting up and swapping discs ;) )

now my question is, will mythtv be able to play back this .iso like my other dvd .iso's? obviously it will be a higher bitrate and a much larger file. and i stream over a network to my frontends, will i run into issues here? i have gigabit ethernet (router is gigabit as well).

what about HDCP? will i run into issues there too? or will the .iso no longer have HDCP limitations? i use a DVI-HDMI cable to transfer video to my tv from my frontend. video card in the frontend is a 7200GS, which as far as i know is not HDCP compliant. does linux even support HDCP even if your hardware does?

how about sound? ive read that they use some different sound formats on the BD discs. will i run into issues there?

i know ill have to update udf to 2.5, but other than that, what am i facing?

any help is much appreciated. thanks.

Linux itself doesn't care about HDCP or support it (as far as I know). However, blu ray is still copy protected. I do not know of any way to play a blu-ray disc in Linux... which doesn't mean there isn't one.

As for ethernet, it shouldn't be too big a problem with wired gig-e. Most gig-e can do about 40 MB/s. That means in a minute it can transmit 2.4 GB and in an hour 144 GB. Blu ray does not use 144 GB for 1 hour of video... I think the whole disc is around 30 GB. You might even be ok with 100 base T. Hard drives or cpu's are more likely to be the bottleneck than wired gig-e.

well isnt HDCP encoded into the disc? thats why i was worried about it. IF this works the way i hope it does, i dont want the resolution to be knocked down because its not being sent from an HDCP player or interface.

sure, BD is copy protected but that doesnt mean that dd wont do it. everything i read says dd can easily make an iso from a BD

what do you mean dont have the hardware? what hardware?

i just want the movie in a single file that i can execute and watch in mythtv. id like to have menus but i can live without it.

The downsampling is implemented in Windows. Linux either plays it full or doesn't play it.

I think it's a damn sight easier to just whack it in a Ps3... Assuming you own one !!

I've just bought my first Blu-Ray disc (300) for use with my Ps3
Unfortunately I can't give a review of how well it works on the Ps3 coz we buy about 3 dvd's each year to watch over the xmas period...

and it aint Chrimbo yet !!

For the inclined.
Tech spec:
Ps3 connected to
Samsung 42" LCD 1080p
via HDMI

(Games are awesome)

doing it in a ps3 is the same as any other linux distro. the guide that described how to do it for the PS3 used dd, which is available in every linux distro i believe.

It might be possible, but honestly I just don't want anything to do with blu-ray because of the DRM encumbrances. I'd rather have low-res, DRM free media than high-res, DRM encumbered media.

even DVD's have DRM, but thats easily done away with with the decoding codecs and such. apparently AnyDVD HD is the only 3rd party software capable of ripping BD, and it removes the HDCP junk too so it can be played from any interface, but its not free.

but theres nothing rong with HD as long as it works, which is what im going for. as long as it works and i dont have to pay for anything, thats all i care about and thats what im working towards.

Be careful, we can't discuss means of circumventing copy protection on these forums.

why not? its perfectly legal to make your own backups. sometimes to do so you have to circumvent copy protection.

hell the dd comand can make a copy, and theres nothing illegal about that.

and to play blu-ray in linux you HAVE to make a copy of some of it so that it can be played from the HDD since theres no support yet to play it from the disc

Actually, it's not legal. Under the DMCA, it is illegal to circumvent copy protection by any means, even for the purpose of making your own backups. Making backup copies is otherwise legal under fair use.

It's a horrible, ridiculous, anti-consumer law, but it's the law, and as a result, it's also the rule on this forum.

ok then. lets start with me "magically" having a copy already. :) i can find a way to get that myself which we wont further discuss.

i just want to be able to watch some HD content from blu-ray discs. simple as that.

Well, there are several issues with blu-ray. The format itself supports both DRM'd and non-DRM'd media (just as DVD's do). For example, I own the Linux DVD (the one which interviews various open source people), and it does not have CSS, so there is no copy protection to break.

That being said, I belive that a non-encrypted blu-ray disc will play just fine in Linux directly from the disc. I have not tried this. Maybe someone with experience in the matter can correct me if I'm wrong.

yea ive bee following it all closely. imgoing to start looking into a program called DumpHD which i think can browse the disc and copy files, and play the .EVO files. ive just yet to see a full walkthrough or guide. im waiting for something like that before i commit to drop 100+ on a BR drive for my computer.

I don't even really use DVD's myself. I have some oddball DVD's without CSS mostly, like that Linux one. When I use DVD's, they are usually bootable DVD's or data DVD's now (they just hold more data than CD's). I'm too annoyed at the MPAA and RIAA to support them.

I'm doing something similar here except that I'm using AnyDVD HD to rip my old HD-DVDs to MKVs or WMV HD to play on my PS3 rather than using the 360 to play them and taking a chance that the drive will break at some point and make me have to rebuy the stuff on Blu-Ray or use the standard def version on the flip side.

I'm not going to provide the link due to the copyright bagaboo and all... but the answers you seek can be found at http://forums.afterdawn.com

Oh and unfortunatelly I think you're going to have to use Winblows or get EXTREMELY lucky with WINE.

Back