• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue screens with new GPU! problems using sleep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

I upgraded my sapphire R7 250x to an Asus Strix RX 480 8GB a few days ago!
I also bought a new monitor if that makes a difference (using two monitors now a trashy 24" 1080p monitor with a 144hz 27 wqhd monitor! (xl2730z))

every time I try to boot my PC there's a very high chance I will get a blue screen saying THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. after one or two restarts it usually gets fixed and I won't see any problems until I reboot my PC again!

another problem I have is whenever I put my computer to sleep it just puts my monitor to sleep and the fans keep spinning and my GPU is still on! I have to hold my power button to turn it off and turn it back on every time! this actually started a little bit after I bought my new GPU! Maybe it's related to drivers or something?

Does anyone know what is causing all of this?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, try what Alaric said. In Power Options>Advanced disable sleep and hybernation with "Never". With some of the line items you have to type in the word "Never."

M$ says its either a driver problem or the GPU went bad, try re-installing drivers 1st : https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560350(v=vs.85).aspx

Sorry for a decade late reply. my finals are so hard.

I did try a compelete reinstall with DDU and I even upgraded to the latest windows 10 update (a completely fresh install). this time I did't pirate it as and I'm dealing with the activate windows logo. I still have the same problem. I hope it isn't a hardware problem with my GPU D: or at least if there's anything wrong it's with my PSU

I did manually put hibernate from after 1m to never. I'll see what happens now.
It's strange that my r7 250x never had this kind of issues!

Power_options.PNG

Here is a screenshot of how I set up my power options with the Rx480. I still get a problem waking up from sleep every now and again, but it is mostly fixed. I Hope this helps. I dont have any clue for the "thread_stuck_in_device_driver" notification.

View attachment 191142

Here is a screenshot of how I set up my power options with the Rx480. I still get a problem waking up from sleep every now and again, but it is mostly fixed. I Hope this helps. I dont have any clue for the "thread_stuck_in_device_driver" notification.

I've already done that! it made it happen less but it still does. I mean not sure if doing that made it happen less often or if i'm on a lucky streak :D

have you tried reinstalling all the other motherboard drivers? lan, chipset and such?

Try to update mobo bios as well.

I can't say I've had any issues with my RX 480 yet, except ones related to drivers crashing(a driver update seems to have nicked that problem in the butt)

The Blue screens I get are related to USB 3.0 lol. I don't have any 2.0 ports on my board, and some devices don't play well with 3.0

have you tried reinstalling all the other motherboard drivers? lan, chipset and such?

Wellll no ;D I'll.
But it only started happening after I installed my new GPU and monitor (at the same time).
But I'll try. My mother board is a crappy old one and it doesn't have new drivers.

My landlord is disabled too because I use a USB modem.

And could it be Cisco any connect? I feel like there's a relationship between the blue screens and Cisco any connect. It could be the VPN drivers

Wellll no ;D I'll.
But it only started happening after I installed my new GPU and monitor (at the same time).
But I'll try. My mother board is a crappy old one and it doesn't have new drivers.

My landlord is disabled too because I use a USB modem.

And could it be Cisco any connect? I feel like there's a relationship between the blue screens and Cisco any connect. It could be the VPN drivers

Couldn't figure that connection out then I realized it was a typo. Funny!

Couldn't figure that connection out then I realized it was a typo. Funny!

Don't make fun of my disabled landlord :c
Jk xD

well all of my drivers were already a newer version than what my motherboard's website has. and there hasn't been bios updates since 2014

2 new problems:
my setting keeps going to hibernate after 5 minutes by itself for some reason.
Sleeping now takes me to grub 0_0

What rating is your PSU ? 400w possibly the minimum for that card depending what else is loaded on the system.

Back