• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boinc stability issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codeman05

Anyone having issues with BOINC 6.10.18?
I seem to get system reboots about every 6-10 hours.

Yet I just ran 250 iterations of Linpack, and prior to that ran 24 hours of Prime95...with no issues what so ever...which seems to indicate it's not a hardware stability issue........

Anyone else get anything similar?

Did that happen on prior version of BOINC? Same hardware and O/C settings? I was occasionally getting reboots (almost exact same hardware as you, except video), but I can't really pin it on BOINC--it was more likely my overclock settings. I've not had reboots since I backed off on the clock speed. What OS? It's hard to imagine reboots being caused by anything other than hardware in XP or higher...

Well I'm running Windows 7 and this is the oldest version of the BOINC software I've run on this rig.

Usually when I get crashes due to O/C, I'll get a BSOD...which I'm not getting now.
Also, in the past, I've been able to run seti fine...even when Prime95 might error after a few hours.

So the fact that Linpack, Prime95, and Memtest can all run for 24+ hrs with no errors...I'm leaning towards it not being hardware...but I can't say for certain.

My next test is back off the O/C and see what happens, or maybe just not crunch on my primary pc =/

I can't recall hearing about any instability issues with BOINC or the optimizers - it just doesn't happen. There were some file handling issues but 6.10.18 was the last update where that wasn't an issue. From what I read on the SETI forums a lot guys were back-tracking to 6.10.18 because of that ...

I've had nothing but trouble with my Primary rig trying to crunch SETI. It's the Q9300 and 790i setup that has 2 x GTX260's in it running windows 7, BOINC 6.10.18, and the lastest optimizers of course.

My rig was stable in P95 >24hrs, Stable in Furmark for the GPU's. I also put the GPUs in my other rigs and they were fine crunching CUDA units. I racked my brain trying to come up with other possibilities. Re-installed BOINC and the optimizers multiple times. I used the SSE4.1 and SSSE3 optimizers. I even re-installed Windows 7 to no avail. I tried dummy plugs, two monitors, multiple variations of SLI and PhysX on/off and 4 different drivers.

Currently it's folding on Both the GTX260's and an SMP unit on the CPU without issue. I've always found Folding to be more sensitive to an unstable machine than SETI.

When I'm done with these Folding contests, Razerface will have to watch out, because I've got the hardware to push me to #1 in RAC. I just don't know if I can get everything to "play nicely" together or not. I also have limited time to tinker with the farm.

Sorry I can't shed too much light on your situation. Just thought you should know you're not alone.

Back