• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Borgix 2.0 - Resumed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is a nice small script that will detect if you have SMP or not, and if so it downloads the regular FAH client, and if not then it downloads the standard client. It places then in the home directory (then under FAH) of the user that runs the script.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -q "processor	: 1" ; then
mkdir -p ~/FAH && cd ~/FAH && wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz && tar -xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz
else
mkdir -p ~/FAH && cd ~/FAH && wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH504-Linux.exe
fi

Slightly modified to also start FAH.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -q "processor	: 1" ; then
mkdir -p ~/FAH && cd ~/FAH && wget http://folding.stanford.edu/release/FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz && tar -xzf FAH_SMP_Linux.tgz && ./fah5
else
mkdir -p ~/FAH && cd ~/FAH && wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH504-Linux.exe && ./FAH504-Linux.exe
fi

King Warg²,

If you tell me what you need, script wise I'll turn and burn on them.

Hey Shelnutt2,

You might want to somehow test if the machine is 64-bit capable as well...otherwise old smp processors will get messed up when they try and run 64 bit SMP cores....I don't know how to code this...sorry

Junebug

@ Junebug, I probably should just add to test if the kernel is 64bit. I didn't even think about that.

@king Warg
I'd love to be the team scripter but I'm not sure I'm the most qualified for that position. But I'll do whatever is needed, I'm ready to have so fun! :p

we have had some ISP problems here in WV recently... they probably reset our entire subnet again.

Anyways... Warg and I are heavily contemplating doing a Dual-Release... an Ubuntu based 32bit version, and a LiveDVD 64bit version based on Debian Etch.

Ok... the dual-release looks ready to go. If what I found works right... then we could have a prelim 64bit Borgix out within the week soon for testing.

Based on Debian Etch

KDE
Gnome
a random Light WM most likely XFCE
Open Office
"One Click" DC Client Setup (For BOINC and F@H.... DIMES will take some time as Java is iffy in 64bit).
Any other suggested DC projects?
Any benchmarking software?
Any development software ?

Any suggestions? I'm planning on making this a Live DVD, so the ISO will have room to spare.

TollhouseFrank said:
Ok... the dual-release looks ready to go. If what I found works right... then we could have a prelim 64bit Borgix out within the week soon for testing.

Based on Debian Etch

KDE
Gnome
a random Light WM most likely XFCE
Open Office
"One Click" DC Client Setup (For BOINC and F@H.... DIMES will take some time as Java is iffy in 64bit).
Any other suggested DC projects?
Any benchmarking software?
Any development software ?

Any suggestions? I'm planning on making this a Live DVD, so the ISO will have room to spare.

Dimes uses Java? I've had very little issues with java and 64bit, only issue I'va had is in the thread below this.

Ok guys... request time is still up. I'm fiddling with the GUI a bit in Borgix64... but I'd like to know what sorta programs you all would want to be included in it! Name it! This is gonna be a LiveDVD, so we have room to spare. Be Creative!

xfce4.4 (and accessories), amarok, firefox, gaim, gvim, xchat, koffice, k3b, mplayer, xine

i know it gets messy having both KDE and gnome apps...so on 2nd thought it might be best just to stick with one...i guess I'd pick Gnome apps to keep firefox and gaim.

thanks man. The time I thought I'd have this past week to work on it Disappeared... and Warg has come down with a nasty, nasty cold.... so he's out of the loop.... But so far, I'm working on cleaning up the GUI little bit by little bit. I hope to be able to Customize KDE, GNOME, XFCE, Flux, and IceWM to be very quick and easy to get around in. Once that is accomplished, I'm gonna try a trial live-DVD without anything beyond those and some basic programs installed.... once that works... I'll work on adding scripts to download, install, and run F@H, BOINC, DIMES, and any other DC project-base people want. (If they want GRID, we'll add GRID).

Back