• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Botched overclocking :'(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
if they all go on, then that means u still havnt reset it properly yet, put the jumpers on the 2-3, then turn ur system on, then off again, then back to 1-2, then turn it on and then try again ok? :D

Everything powers up apart from the "beep" :S

i think if the battery was out of the motherboard over night its safe to assume that the cmos has been reset...

that means that either something is broken or something is not connected properly..

standard procedure is to unplug all unnecessary components and try to get POST with a barebones system - that means 1 stick of RAM, video card, cpu - and of course motherboard/power supply/monitor....nothing else.

no hard drive / cd drive / pci cards / front panel usb connectors... remove them all...

now make sure your 20 pin power connector is properly seated
make sure the extra 4 pin power connector is properly seated (if your motherboard has one)
make sure the video card is properly seated <- you said you removed it so this is a likely suspect...
make sure the 1 stick of ram is properly seated
make sure you have a monitor connected <-lol it is right !!??

dont touch the cpu yet- you haven't removed the heatsink already right? i'm guessing you dont have the thermal paste and cleaning solvent to put it back on...

if you don't get POST with this barebones system...
check the monitor is working with your other system to start with..

well, no, actually, i took out my battery from my bro's 7NF-RZ for 3 hours, and put it back in, the cmos didnt reset, in the end, i put my corsair ram in, (ram timings was too low for the generic ram i put in) and it booked, with my old overclocked setting and everthing, so try the jumpers again

stui_nz said:
dont touch the cpu yet- you haven't removed the heatsink already right? i'm guessing you dont have the thermal paste and cleaning solvent to put it back on...

if you don't get POST with this barebones system...
check the monitor is working with your other system to start with..

....hmmm yes I have removed the CPU, BUT I do have thermal paste and cleaning solvent, so I will get onto that tomorrow as it's quite late :) and yes, my monitor is working :D

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
um, yea... dij utry resetting cmos a few more times? Coz really, it wouldnt of fried ur CPU THAT easlily, i did that with my frend's one (me n00b starting out :D), it works without a hitch atm :D

While I can see that there is a possiblity the CMOS hasn't reset, its very very slim. At this point, when it won't even beep, it is possible the motherboard just gave out. I don't think I am the first to say that MSI boards aren't known for their high quality.

Take out everythign (cpu, ram, all plugs but the power)( and boot her up. IF it beeps, its probably still kicking and something else is up. If it doesn't beep, get another board.

Ok, barebone system was a no go, as was Cheator's idea :( I'm going to buy a new motherboard now.. it's about time I upgraded anywways :)

Thanks everyone, you've been most helpful, and i'll make sure I come back here for all my overclocking needs :D (If I ever pluck up the courage to do it again heheh )

Oh, one last thing, any suggestions on a good cheap motherboard that would support AMD Athlon 64?

It depends. which socket do you want? and btw, I would suggest selling your motherboard on ebay, telling people what you did to remedy it. Should pull in a small amount of money from someone who likes to tinker. That would help suppliment your cost of mobo and cpu

Cheator said:
It depends. which socket do you want? and btw, I would suggest selling your motherboard on ebay, telling people what you did to remedy it. Should pull in a small amount of money from someone who likes to tinker. That would help suppliment your cost of mobo and cpu

Ahh true that. Well I think I will be upgrading my CPU as well so I will be going for socket 939 :)

Well you can't go to a 64 bit supporting board without getting a new cpu...infact unless you want a really old board, socket 754 or 939 are the way to go.

I like 2 boards: The DFI lanparty Ultra-d (overwhelming for noobs at times) and the gigabyte Ultra-9, a very stable and silent board

My first overclock was on an Apple Mac, upped CPU speed by 25% or so, ****ing loved it, thought it'd be a right **** what with it being a Mac but never had a problem with it.

Cheator said:
While I can see that there is a possiblity the CMOS hasn't reset, its very very slim. At this point, when it won't even beep, it is possible the motherboard just gave out. I don't think I am the first to say that MSI boards aren't known for their high quality.

Take out everythign (cpu, ram, all plugs but the power)( and boot her up. IF it beeps, its probably still kicking and something else is up. If it doesn't beep, get another board.

I don't like the sound of that, the fact that it won't even bleep. In that case, it's likely that the processor did get damaged.

But that's more common when rushing a heatsink installation than when just OC'ing it too much.
Unfortunately, the processor likely got damaged if you tried to OC it with an insanely high jump, such as going for 3.0 ghz on an Athlon XP 2100+.

Did he turn the power back on after moving the jumper to clear? If he didn't do that then the cmos will not clear. So instead of buying new one right away try that first.

Dude don't run out and buy a new system just yet! You need to decide if you want to go 939 (which you did), but you also need to figure out if you want to stick with AGP or go the PCI-E route. PCI-E cards are usually cheaper, but thats another component you have to buy so the whole upgrade will be more expensive. If you stick with AGP, you don't have to buy a card, but in the future you're going to have to buy a new video card and motherboard when you want to play that new game... Pay now or pay later.

If you don't game, stick with AGP and save some coinage :D

cmatties said:
Did he turn the power back on after moving the jumper to clear? If he didn't do that then the cmos will not clear. So instead of buying new one right away try that first.

Did he turn the power back on?? Who are you asking, me or them? -_- and yes, I did turn the power back on.

bLack0ut said:
He probably fried the mobo or cpu when he reached in to reset cmos lol ><

...not that stupid

mdameron said:
Dude don't run out and buy a new system just yet! You need to decide if you want to go 939 (which you did), but you also need to figure out if you want to stick with AGP or go the PCI-E route. PCI-E cards are usually cheaper, but thats another component you have to buy so the whole upgrade will be more expensive. If you stick with AGP, you don't have to buy a card, but in the future you're going to have to buy a new video card and motherboard when you want to play that new game... Pay now or pay later.

If you don't game, stick with AGP and save some coinage

I will be sticking with AGP for now, motherboards aren't so expensive and when I do upgrade to PCI-E I will probably buy a fairly top of the line graphics card, so upgrading the mobo will not be too much of an expense hopefully :) So I will buy an AGP Socket 939 one for now, and maybe an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz Socket 939 which will be enough spending for a fair while ><

going AGP then eh?

well get that ASRock board with the ULi chipset that has both AGP and PCI-E, doesnt let you overclock as much as if you were to get a DFI NF4 board, but it lets you have the benifit of both AGP and PCI-E.

As for the CPU, get one of those new S939 Opterons, i think the Opteron 148 was the most popular

Back