• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand New system won't power up! Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

Hi all, i just built a brand new computer, and it refuses to even power up! I plug the power connector into the power supply and the interal lights on the motherboard do come on, but when i hit the power button nothing happens, no fans come on, nothing.. I have never had a problem like this before, and i know i have the power connector plugged into the correct place. Here are the system specs:
motherboard: Asus P4T533-C
CPU (processor): Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4BGHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz
RAM: (2) KINGSTON KVR1066X16-8/256 RAMBUS 256MB 1066MHZ NON-ECC - OEM
video card: GAINWARD/CARDEXPERT GeForce 4 Ti 4600
sound card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xgamer
hard drive: WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 100GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD
cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd: Plextor DVD/CDRW IDE 20x/10x/40x
floppy: SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE
PSU: Antec 480W Power Supply TRUE480
Case: Cooler Master ATC-210-VX1 (VERDANT). All Aluminum and Acrylic Case
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
keyboard : OEM
Monitor (flat screen): Sharp LL-T1820

Thanks in advance! :)

I had the same problem a while ago, it turned out the motherboard was grounding into the case. I made a silly error in rushing the thing together

You might not have put the board into the case properly. With the case or motherboard, you should get a little baggie full of screws, plastic things, and brass things. The brass things screw into the case, and the mobo sits on the brass things, then the mobo screws into the brass things. I had forgotten to do this, and the same thing that's happening to you happened to me.

Try that if you didn't already. Then if you have another system, use your power supply on that to make sure it's working. If you try these both and it still doesn't work, make sure the power/reset switch leads are on the right place.

If it STILL won't work, then there might be something wrong with the board.

Very basic steps: first find and check your CMOS reset/clear jumper and check with your MB man and make sure it is in the operate setting and not the clear setting.

Next jump and clear your CMOS and then reset the jumper. See if you can boot. Then recheck your connection for power on, if you are sure its correct then swap it with you reset connector and hit reset and see what you get. If remember to switch them back befor the next step.

Then, remove all but your vidcard, mem an cpu and see if you can boot.

If you cant get a boot after all this you should be at having only a vidcard, cpu and mem. Check all the seating of each and check and make sure your PSU power connector is properly seated.

Last edited:
Wow, thats a nice setup, I'm sure you will be getting it working. I'm keeping notes of what everyone says in case I run into similar problems...

Da Whip said:
Did you plug in both power connectors?
The big one and the little one next to it?

What do you mean? There's only 1 power connector. Unless you mean the reset switch, or power LED leads...but those don't need to be plugged onto the board for the thing to power up.

The P4 motherboards have an extra 12 volt plug. Actually 2 for my motherboard. You should have a p4 compliant PSU for it.

Back