• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD after upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Plazzed

I just added two 570s, 8GB RAM and three HDDs to my computer from a different machine I was scything things off of. Not even three minutes after booting up, I had my first BSOD. Before my computer turned on for the first time, I was having some issues (I believe the code said it was RAM related) turning on in the first place. I went into BIOS and set the XMP profile off, to auto (the RAM were at different speeds). Even after that, the BSOD persisted. Even after taking out the new set of RAM, the problem persists.

Attached are two crashdumps from about 20 minutes ago, would love someone to look through them soon.

EDIT: Further digging point to 0x00000124, which I believe is a generic hardware error. BSV also points to ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0.
EDIT 2: I currently have reason to believe it's my motherboard. I might have ****ed it while I was cleaning things out. Right now I'm running on a backup from the rig I was stripping (a GA-P67A-UD7-B3) WITH both new GPUs and both sets of RAM. No issues thus far. Although the extra HDDs are not in this build as of the moment.

Attachments

• crashdump.zip
    85.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Are all the memory sticks the same? How many sticks are there? What exact memory is this?
Did the motherboard get swapped out?

What's the model of board? With an additional 8GB of RAM added, what's the current total amount? What are the rated frequency, timings, and voltage of both sets of RAM? What are the current DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage? And a 0x124 BSOD is usually the result of either insufficient or excessive QPI/VTT voltage.

BODS usually come from:

memory first (take out all sticks but one, swap sticks to see which one is defective),

PSU (overloaded or becoming flakey),

windows drivers (which MS says are 80% of all blue screens) (run sfc /scannow) (update drivers),

hard drive errors usually in the OS (run chkdsk /r)

faulty apps

I'm guessing memory since you transferred memory over, maybe PSU can't handle all the new stuff?

That error code is the CPU signalling a hardware fault.
99 percent means you set the core clocks beyond the limits of the CPU or you need more Vcore or core temps too high.
Too high of multi is the most likely of OC issues, followed by not enough Vcore.

According to Microsoft, the XP equivalent error is:

STOP: 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Vista and later is the following:

STOP: 0x00000124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Just something I wanted to add, my SSD is missing like, 30-40GB of space. Any clue if this could be related?

@Lvcoyote

The memory sticks are both 4GBx2 from G.Skill. Motherboards weren't touched, each is in a separate case. As far as EXACT model, I'd say the below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
As for the second one, I can't even find it on Newegg or even G.Skill's website, but the code is F3-17000CL11-4GBXL. (11-11-11-30-2T @ 2133, I wanna say).

@redduc900

The first board is an ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z, the second being a GA-P67A-UD7-B3. It would have been 16GB with the added RAM (I added the slower RAM (first mentioned above) to the faster one (second mentioned above). As of RIGHT NOW, the timings are as related ( ), running automatically to whatever this board put them at. And just a note (forget if I added this), even after I removed the RAM the first time in the first build and put the settings back to normal, I still received errors. Even after removing the GPUs and RAM, I still did.

@Neuromancer

IMC voltage? Based on Google it seems to relate to the RAM, which you might be right on. When I threw in the extra 8GB, I set the timings and stuff to "auto", and that's when I received issues. You might be on to something there.

@orion456

Issue persisted after removing the possibly faulty RAM, and even so, I'm using them right now with no error.

PSU worked fine in the past, and was already handling this load (minus the 8GB and a few HDDs) with no issue. Then again, the PSU I'm current using is a bit stronger than the last (Corsair HX1050 vs AX850).

The scan went fine, no errors.

I tried using chkdsk /r (as admin) and was told "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process."

Everything was running fine before. Although a BSOD seemed to come real quick after I booted up Steam.

That error code is the CPU signalling a hardware fault.
99 percent means you set the core clocks beyond the limits of the CPU or you need more Vcore or core temps too high.
Too high of multi is the most likely of OC issues, followed by not enough Vcore.

According to Microsoft, the XP equivalent error is:

STOP: 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

Vista and later is the following:

STOP: 0x00000124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I WAS OC'ing my CPU (and it was stable, although in the past I had some issues with it). I do imagine my CPU did carry over it's OC. In the BIOS, I set the profile off of XMP for the RAM, and if I recall, that did light up some options that had to do with my CPU. Is it possible that by changing the XMP profile off and putting it to auto, I was still trying to OC to 4.5 while other settings were trying to default to stock (or something of the sort)?

EDIT: Also to add, the CPU I'm currently using is at STOCK, and always has been. Not even turboboosted. It's also the exact same CPU (i5 2500k).

Last edited:
I WAS OC'ing my CPU (and it was stable, although in the past I had some issues with it). I do imagine my CPU did carry over it's OC. In the BIOS, I set the profile off of XMP for the RAM, and if I recall, that did light up some options that had to do with my CPU. Is it possible that by changing the XMP profile off and putting it to auto, I was still trying to OC to 4.5 while other settings were trying to default to stock (or something of the sort)?

EDIT: Also to add, the CPU I'm currently using is at STOCK, and always has been. Not even turboboosted. It's also the exact same CPU (i5 2500k).

I dunno.

Well changing boards will change everything. Going from ASUS to Gigabyte is a HUGE change. But no OC... that hurts... Its why I dont use GB stuff.

But as redduc and I said. 0x124 is an IMC issue.

On GB I believe it is called VTT or IMC i am not sure.

I do not use GB boards. (*Lie* im currently on a GB 890GX board, and it has mad quirks that I had to tweak to get it operational. I like the HD4290 processor.)

OH if its a UD5 or above it should offer LLC on vDIMM. Setting that up might help as well Especially if populating 4 slots. But mainly boost VTT, and if necessary vDIMM. I didnt see your specs so do not know what RAM you have and cant suggest timings. Most modern Intel boards will read XMP settings as SPD. If you do not set XMP you might not get the votlage required. (howebver you might get to much if you set it).

FYI if you want more info on stop errors.. you can eliminate all 0's after the X. IE. 0x00000124, becomes 0x124. 0x0000007F becomes 0x7f. It will help dial down your google results in the future. If you choose to look up your own answers. Add sandy bridge. westmere, bulldozer as necessary to further help.

Thats gets you the answers from the people that REALLY know the answers.

Like here.

Just something I wanted to add, my SSD is missing like, 30-40GB of space. Any clue if this could be related?

completely unrelated . That has to do with system restore, pagefile and hibernation.

the more memory you add the more HDD space gets used up.

disable system restore manually. (or limit it to say 2GB)

Set pagefile by right click computer, properties, advanced tab "perforamcne" and advanced tab again. eliminate pagefile. Or just reduce it crazy to like 256 MB there are arguments for both, I have been setting it to 0 for the last 10 years without issue. (I always have enough RAM, and I dont run firefox)

then open a admin approved command prompt and type "powercfg -h off" without the quotes.

the pagefile and hiberfil tweaks alone doubles your ram density, so 8GB of ram saves you at least 16GB, probably 20.

EDIT: IF you are interested. PAgefile is a spot on an HDD that is used as "extra memory" for when you run out of ram" and hibernation is for when you shut down your computer from a standby state and boots it up like you just "closed the lid" on a laptop and removed power.

(except that never works battery runs out and you get the long "start windows normally" screen instead)

With an SSD you boot in 15-20 seconds, you do not need to hibernate. Enabling it uses =to the amount of ram you have it moves ram to HDD.

Fresh windows 7 install after these tweaks. == about 7-10GB.

EDIT: disabling indexing is another. That affects windows search function though. Doesnt affect me since I always know where everything is at on my drives. I disable it on HDDs as well.

SP1 fixes the large winsxs folder issue so install 7 then install sp1. then do automatic updates. If you didnt slipstream it already on installation. (winsxs folder can hit 40GB easy from updates)

Last edited:

I'll test out the other motherboard again. I'll just add my SSD + RAM, set everything to stock values, and see what stability does.

Well changing boards will change everything. Going from ASUS to Gigabyte is a HUGE change. But no OC... that hurts... Its why I dont use GB stuff.

But as redduc and I said. 0x124 is an IMC issue.

On GB I believe it is called VTT or IMC i am not sure.

I do not use GB boards. (*Lie* im currently on a GB 890GX board, and it has mad quirks that I had to tweak to get it operational. I like the HD4290 processor.)

OH if its a UD5 or above it should offer LLC on vDIMM. Setting that up might help as well Especially if populating 4 slots. But mainly boost VTT, and if necessary vDIMM. I didnt see your specs so do not know what RAM you have and cant suggest timings. Most modern Intel boards will read XMP settings as SPD. If you do not set XMP you might not get the votlage required. (howebver you might get to much if you set it).

FYI if you want more info on stop errors.. you can eliminate all 0's after the X. IE. 0x00000124, becomes 0x124. 0x0000007F becomes 0x7f. It will help dial down your google results in the future. If you choose to look up your own answers. Add sandy bridge. westmere, bulldozer as necessary to further help.

Thats gets you the answers from the people that REALLY know the answers.

Like here.

This board has no OC because I (frankly) never got around to it. Especially now, when I'm just checking base stability. As far as IMC goes, can you tell if it's too much, or too little? Right now, whatever GB is setting as auto works fine, but that seemed to cause an issue on ASUS's auto side (although it might have been the CPU, as I previously stated. I'll find out later). I also tried the RAM on both XMP and auto settings (according to ASUS's BIOS). All sticks should be at 1.5v as default requirement, I believe.

Just tried digging around in BIOS on that other computer. No matter what I did, it wouldn't even fully boot up Windows now.

Another thing I wanted to add, I can't find something labeled IMC/VTT/QPI anywhere in the BIOS. A bit of googling leads me to believe it's what ASUS calls DRAM voltage, but I want to make sure.

Also, I've tried loading "optimized defaults", and it still won't boot. I've tried different RAM altogether, a different GPU, and even a different HDD, but it still won't load past the window's splash screen. Straight to BSOD. The problem has to be either the CPU or the voltages somehow. I've reset everything with default settings, so I'm not even sure how it's still at incorrect voltages.

Last edited:
DRAM voltage is memory voltage. Which board is it? I will look up the BIOS screens for it and let you know which is the IMC voltage (Should be either labelled CPU VTT or QPI)

Actually list all the specs of your new setup, its possible you may just be overloading the PSU

DRAM voltage is memory voltage. Which board is it? I will look up the BIOS screens for it and let you know which is the IMC voltage (Should be either labelled CPU VTT or QPI)

Actually list all the specs of your new setup, its possible you may just be overloading the PSU

My specs before changing anything out were as follows.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
8GB DDR3 @ 2133
MSI Lightning Xtreme Edition GTX 580
Corsair Force GT SSD
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
Samsung F4 Spinpoint 2TB
WDC Green 500TB
Corsair HX1050

When I added new components into the build, the specs were the following.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz (I later changed it to stock, but it didn't help anything)
16GB DDR3 RAM (exact models in above posts)
2x MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 570
Corsair Force GT SSD
Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB
Samsung F4 Spinpoint 2TB
WDC Green 500TB
Corsair HX1050

I have tried entirely different GPUs (Gigabyte Windforce GTX 460), different RAM (4GB G.Skill something), and a different HDD entirely (OCZ Vertex 2 SSD), and have not managed to successfully boot my computer past the Windows 7 splash screen. It immediately goes to a BSOD, and exits the BSOD before I have a chance to look at it.

I'd also like to note (again) that all drives, GPUs, and RAM sticks work perfectly fine in this GA-P67A-UD7-B3. No chance any of them are faulty. Also, this specific computer is running on a Corsair AX850.

Last edited:
chkdsk /r requires a reboot after confirming you want to it to run

best done over night, it takes a while to check and entire hard drive for errors

chkdsk /r requires a reboot after confirming you want to it to run

best done over night, it takes a while to check and entire hard drive for errors

Should I have that run overnight on my current HDDs? (Corsair Force GT, Samsung F3/F4, WDC Green)?

Few updates to this.

Ran chkdsk (twice, actually) and it was clean both times.

I tried a CMOS wipe on my board (removing the battery for 60+ seconds). Even after giving me an error splash screen that I would have to reset my options in CMOS, it still failed to get past the W7 splash screen.

I've dredged up a bunch of screenshots from that BIOS, which I will attach here. I'd love someone to look through them and tell me if a voltage or option might be too high/too low.

EDIT: Removed .zip file, many of the screenshots were invalid. Moved correct .zip file to second page, third post.

Last edited:
Back