• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD after upgrading?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay your list was almost perfect, except you said your ram you listed above, I dont see it on a quick perusal. what RAM?

Plethora of X58 issues lately on OCF. Love it! wish I still had one what a fun system to OC.

Last edited:
Okay your list was almost perfect, except you said your ram you listed above, I dont see it on a quick perusal. what RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277
As for the second one, I can't even find it on Newegg or even G.Skill's website, but the code is F3-17000CL11-4GBXL. (11-11-11-30-2T @ 2133, I wanna say).

F3-17000CL11-4GBXL and F3-10666CL9-4GBRL. As of right now, both of these are working fine at defaulted settings in this computer, no way they could be faulty. I currently have a different set of RAM in the other computer, although I'm not sure of the part number. I can retrieve it for you, if you wish, but it's probably listed in one of the .bmp files I uploaded in the .zip (in my last post of Page 1).

Oh, and the board currently not working is actually Z68. (ASUS Maximums IV Extreme-Z).

EDIT: I just realized over half of these .bmp images are actually empty (looks like the flash drive was full after a few of them. Give me a bit to fire that computer back up and take some screenshots, in which that time I'll get the RAM part number for you, Neuro.

Alright. Got the screenshots, and the model for the RAM is one of the last ones.

Attachments

• ASUS BIOS screenshots.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
windows is married to the motherboard, if you change motherboards you have to do a clean install of windows, you can't just change motherboards and boot right up.

windows is married to the motherboard, if you change motherboards you have to do a clean install of windows, you can't just change motherboards and boot right up.

When I was originally trying to boot up the PC, it was using the same C: drive it always was. At the moment, it's booting up on a different C: drive though.

And I moved the C: drive from the other computer (the one not working) to this one without any hitches. Had to reinstall some drivers for compatibility with the ethernet port and USB slots, but nothing else had any ramifications.

EDIT: From googling this general error, most people seem to say it's a RAM issue. Running Memtest86+ right now, so I'll report back after 3-5 passes if there're any failures. I also disabled turboboost and manually bumped the vcore up to 1.25v, and I'll see if that gets me somewhere after Memtest86+ finishes (3.7 @ 1.175v sounded really lowball to me).

Last edited:
Update, ran Memtest86+ for three passes on the RAM currently in the faulty computer, and six times on the four sticks in THIS computer. No errors on either. That sort of leads me to believe that the RAM slots themselves aren't defective either. It seemed to get some use out of the CPU during this test as well, which also leads me to believe that works fine, too. That leaves just the board (unless someone disagrees with what I just said).

And as far as the C: drive switching, I googled it, and I'll run a repair on both drives in a bit. Still would like someone to look through this BIOS screenshots above.

EDIT: Currently wiping the HDD of the other computer. If this doesn't rectify any issue that caddi daddi might have been hinting at, it's almost certainly a motherboard problem, whether physical or some erroneous option in the BIOS.

EDIT 2: I JUST wiped one of my SSDs and booted a fresh install of Windows 7 on it, and my computer booted up! Talking to a friend, he feels that it might have been something to due with a damage file somewhere in Windows, but that doesn't quite add up to me, seeing as how even the SSD that was originally the one in there didn't boot up, and it boots up on this computer. Regardless, I'm going to try a fresh install on this SSD too, and then give it a whirl.

Just asking, but has anyone ever heard of something like this? Installing new hardware somehow corrupting Windows files over several HDDs (more likely BIOS related at that point), and even persisting after going back to the original hardware?

Last edited:
Back