• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bsod on new kit of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Rob

Registered
so my other 32gb 4x8gb of ram just came today. install is fine. posts and shows all 8 dimms full. same brand of ram timings everything is still stock except for the cpu which i have oc at 4ghz.

bsod. posts into windows. sits ok for a bout 4 mins maybe 5 if im lucky then bsod. :( any possible reason y this might happen. should i maybe do a mem test on the kit that blue screened. ?

i know im going to get the general response of 64gb of ram such a waste. i know. i have no excuse for it but awesome looking having 8 dimms filled.

any help would be appreciated.

I don't have X79 board but try to set higher chipset or IMC voltage ( VTT or something similar ).
It's of course good idea to run memtest and check if memory is generating some errors.
You can also check each stick separately in windows and memtest to be sure that all are ok ( or at least new sticks as it seems like "older" 32GB is fine ).
Test memory with cpu on stock clocks. When you will be sure that memory is ok then overclock cpu.

i know im going to get the general response of 64gb of ram such a waste. i know. i have no excuse for it but awesome looking having 8 dimms filled.

I would probably make the same but with 4GB sticks ;)

Try running at the memory's JEDEC timings (CPU-Z can show you the data for each memory module) instead of at the XMP profile. 1600 MHz RipJaws are probably not made with 1600 MHz chips.* Sometimes higher current settings for the bus will help, by making the signals turn on and off more abruptly.

*not that it matters, according to some

mem test with new kit works fine and old kit.
ive put the cpu back to stock settings.
seems ok, it posts. gets to about 20 mins in and blue screens.
running each kit individually works fine and will run prime, intelburn with out failure. but together just doesnt. ive changed the bios options to run the ram at 1333 and at 1600mhz and hasnt made a diff. not really wanting to change timmings on ram or anything. never really done anything like it.

Did you try bumping the VTT voltage like Woomack suggested? I believe default is 1.076 when set to Auto, so try bumping it to 1.1V. And what was the error in the BSOD?

worked out what was wrong with the ram :) turns out one of the sticks was i believe on a timming then the rest. not sure how. but after individual testing them again and checking the bios one stick was at 1333 causing the issue. bsod free since 23 hours :)

Back