• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buddy's building a Ryzen 2 2600x system, need some input on part choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyqMcY

His budget: Hardcap $1000, but lower the better.

His use: strictly gaming, 7 days to die, and diablo 3 are the main games hes playing

His current pc is over 8 years old, and is on its last legs. Hes ready for an upgrade, and he is already bought the ryzen 2600x on preorder last night to avoid supply issues.

He specifically wanted the 960 evo, and is going to buy a volta gpu to replace his current with a 4k monitor in the future as his upgrade path.

The one thing not chosen is a mobo, he does not know what featureset he wants.

He does not plan to overclock, But locking out the ability to save $20 is silly imo.

Does the 2600x have an APU in it, or is that strictly the G series?

If so, is it better than a midrange AMD card from 8 years ago?

There's still a couple of unanswered questions. Does he want the APU just to hold out until he can afford a GFX card? Personally, I would go with the 2600/2600X if there's a dedicated card in the future. The 2400G is a decent APU and the graphics are surprising for an iGP but the price difference between that and a 2600 (~$30 lees than 2600X when available) are minimal and it seems a waste to me to have an APU that won't be used. On the other hand if he doesn't want to overclock drop the added cooler and get the 2600x it'll boost higher than the 2600 and has a cooler with it that will run it fine stock, even overclocked a bit. I modified the list added a mobo and it's ~ $900 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Cbb8Y. I would replace the memory you selected with this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232727. It's not in stock atm so PCPP didn't pick it up. It's about $30 more but I have tested it and it works great at XMP of 3400
EDIT: scrap that if you order in the next 7 days get this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530 while it's on sale works great

Last edited:
Sounds like he already bought the 2600x so I think that is settled already. What gpu does he currently have in his system?

I would also recommend looking at a 1tb hdd for bulk storage.

He currently has a amd HD 7970 I think His video card is 8 years old, so thats incorrect, he ordered the parts on this list minus the SSD, video card and cooler(due to unforseen bills that cropped up last second):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sTHvWD

Hes holding off on gpu to volta unless he builds a budget fast enough.

I got very busy the last 5 days and couldnt respond.

I missed the info on the ram, shoot..

Volta is deep learning card not gaming he’ll want a touring I believe it’s called. 1100 series.

Aite. Whichever is the gaming variety codename.

First I've heard of anything other than volta from that old roadmap image from way way back. That said, Pascal... :p

Both of the game titles you listed have crazy low requirements. So I would focus more on your mention of future-proofing for 4k. That's a tall order unfortunately. I'm not as familiar with AMD's current offerings but for nVidia you'll be looking into the 1080 at a minimum. The 1060 you have listed will be a good starting point for 1080p.

Any B350, X370 or X470 motherboard will give the ability to overclock with the X470 having the best memory support, and the B350 being the more basic.

I don't even think that chipset makes any special difference, more like BIOS and motherboard design ( DDR signal strength ). I was able to set 3866 on MSI B350 Mortar which is quite cheap mobo ... the same on X370 Gaming ITX from ASRock and X399M Taichi ( in quad channel ) ... all on 1st gen Ryzens/TR. X470 still has max memory option of 4000 and I know that Shawn had similar issues with memory stability on X470/2700X as I had on anything from older gen. He was able to boot at 4000 what I can't make on older boards ( maybe matter of memory kit or BIOS version ) but max stable settings are about the same so ~3600 at tighter and ~3733 at more relaxed timings.
The only difference which I see is how many PCIE lanes provide each chipset. Also higher motherboards will have option to adjust bclk and maybe will have some additional features but that doesn't really matter for most users.

X470 can be better option just because it's new and we can expect longer support from motherboard manufacturers. Brands like Gigabyte will probably drop 1st PCB revisions and won't release new BIOS as they do that with other series. ASUS ROG/TUF will have longer support for older chipsets. The same ASRock will have longer support. MSI ... I don't know.

I don't even think that chipset makes any special difference, more like BIOS and motherboard design ( DDR signal strength ). I was able to set 3866 on MSI B350 Mortar which is quite cheap mobo ... the same on X370 Gaming ITX from ASRock and X399M Taichi ( in quad channel ) ... all on 1st gen Ryzens/TR. X470 still has max memory option of 4000 and I know that Shawn had similar issues with memory stability on X470/2700X as I had on anything from older gen. He was able to boot at 4000 what I can't make on older boards ( maybe matter of memory kit or BIOS version ) but max stable settings are about the same so ~3600 at tighter and ~3733 at more relaxed timings.
The only difference which I see is how many PCIE lanes provide each chipset. Also higher motherboards will have option to adjust bclk and maybe will have some additional features but that doesn't really matter for most users.

X470 can be better option just because it's new and we can expect longer support from motherboard manufacturers. Brands like Gigabyte will probably drop 1st PCB revisions and won't release new BIOS as they do that with other series. ASUS ROG/TUF will have longer support for older chipsets. The same ASRock will have longer support. MSI ... I don't know.

Well, he got all the parts in and no power cycling.

Some guy he talked to said to use plastic screws for the mobo. I've never heard of this. Any merit behind that?

I'm having him reconnect all the connectors from psu and reseating RAM, but seems weird.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zVYQD2

This is the list of parts he bought

By no power cycling do you mean no power at all, or just lights and nothing else? Did they update the motherboard BIOS to accept a Pinnacle Ridge processor? If no that might be an issue. The first thing a motherboard does is unpack the BIOS and initialize the CPU AFAIK.
I have always used metal screws to secure the mobo

Right . The screw holes in the motherboard are the chassis ground. Failure to use metal screws will not allow a steel case to be grounded properly.

By no power cycling do you mean no power at all, or just lights and nothing else? Did they update the motherboard BIOS to accept a Pinnacle Ridge processor? If no that might be an issue. The first thing a motherboard does is unpack the BIOS and initialize the CPU AFAIK.
I have always used metal screws to secure the mobo

He got it to power on after replugging all of the connectors on the mobo. Apparently the cpu fan isnt spinning, My only way to communicate with him right now is over twitch whispers due to his work policy being no discord on phone. So yeah...the information is coming in slowly.

Fans need more voltage to get them started turning than they do to keep them turning once they start spinning. Impedance it's called. Tell him to change his fan speed profile in bios. He may have gotten too aggressive with low speed "quiet" fan settings.

Fans need more voltage to get them started turning than they do to keep them turning once they start spinning. Impedance it's called. Tell him to change his fan speed profile in bios. He may have gotten too aggressive with low speed "quiet" fan settings.

I noticed this myself the other day, I have my fans go to 0% and they don't start spinning until 40%, but can go down to 20% before stopping again. Leds give it away :p

Update: The dipstick that out it together forgot the same screws that separate the mb from the case

Straight out of my buddy's mouth.

IE, they didn't put the riser stubs in. Wish I were there to do this, cause the guy he had do it obviously didn't know what he was doing. The mobo was shorting out on the chassis is my guess, causing a power loop.

I certainly hope he didn't "pay" for that service.

Back