• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buffalo major..TCCD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moto7451 said:
How does TCCC compare to TCCD & TCC5?
I think TCC5 takes more voltage but is also a very good chip if not as good as TCCD. TCCC? dont know much about. You may want to ask SteveOCZ since OCZ is using TCC5 these days and might also have info on all TCCx serries.

I don't know if the micron buffalo sticks will be any good. A while back, when the whole micron -5C craze that arised becuase of the OCZ EB, a lot of people bought the buffalos because they had -5BC ICs. If the 1gb sticks are made from the same batch of ICs, they won't OC very well.

In response to a post I made in the "Ram with TCCD" thread over at XS, I got the following replies.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1027638#post1027638

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1027743#post1027743

These two posts would seem to answer our questions...first off, the newegg product appears to be shipping with Micron and not Samsung ICs and secondly, they also appear to be, to use babyelf's phrase, "less capable" chips. Lastly, once again we are told that TCCD is not manufactured in such a way as to make it suitable for use in 1GB sticks.

An error in newegg's product description would not be a first.

yea i saw ur question over at XS..

240 3-3-3-8.. hmm.. should be less capable or unbinned chips.. or failed binned chips.. hard to say.. oh well... gigabit when are u getting it???

I received the following response from Bruce (memoryman). I asked him whether or not the 1GB sticks being sold by newegg were Samsung TCCD based.

Copy of response:

Of course I remember you.
That newegg stuff about TCCD is bogus. I have no idea why they wrote that. It was not run by me first.
I will find out who is responsible and get that corrected.
Thank you very much for this head's up.
I don't know of any TCCD that could make a 1GB module.
That would require 64Mx8bit chips and TCCD only comes in the 32Mx8bit variety.
Bruce Reilly

Well, that settles the question of whether or not they are TCCD.

And the answer to the Buffalo TCCD sticks that Angry Games referred to is in this reply that I rec'ed today over at PCPer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoryman

Reefa
We made 12 engineering samples of 512MB TCCD and sent all to DFI. We have something in the works (in Japan) and it may come (or may not) out within a month or two. It's possible that it will have TCCD on it.
Bruce

And that, Ladies and Gents, is the rest of the story.

In summary...the Buffalo 1GB sticks at newegg are Micron, not Samsung based and currently Buffalo does not have any retail products available which are based on the Samsung TCCD ICs.

That question will need to be asked of A.G., as he is the only one that is known to have them. He has four sticks, there were twelve total, so somebody else has some. I would venture to say that maybe RGone and a few others have the rest, but that's just speculation on my part.

hmm..

they say they will have in a month or 2 and might have TCCD.. anyone have any experiences on buffalo products?

Last year Buffalo Tech was using Micron -5B C in their PC3200 when the EB craze hit. One of the guys here found some B/T PC3700 with those Micron chips and, thinking that they had been binned for higher speeds, a bunch of us bought it. Most failed to meet specs, although a few did real well. The best was probably achieved by Rabbi NZ, who hit 250 plus at 2.5-2-2-6 or so with his and the worst luck hit eva2000, as his sticks failed and he returned them then never rec'd his refund (there is an ongoing thread over at XS about that). Some of the guys that got the PC3200 did alright with it, but since most went with the PC3700 I would have to say that it was mostly a bust.

Because of my RMA I became aquainted with Bruce (a.k.a. memoryman). Prior to the Micron they had some decent BH-5 and also some CH-5 based stuff so its hard/unfair to judge them only on the PC3700.

To this day we have no idea why so many failed and did no on a multitude of platforms (NF2/P4/A64).

If they did come out with some TCCD I would probably give it a shot if it was priced agressively, like these 1GB sticks, for example.

yea i read the thread..

i think i'll sit tight until it hits retail then look @ some results first.. i always thought they weren't bad at all

Back